Arizona Cardinals hire away DC Patrick Toney; Austin Armstrong new DC

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019
Another familiar face with Billy. Would have liked someone with more d1 experience but I guess change is good?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

`"The 29-year-old Armstrong recently joined the Alabama Crimson Tide as the team's inside linebackers coach after serving as the defensive coordinator at Southern Miss. During the 2022 season, he was the youngest defensive coordinator in the nation, and he led the Golden Eagles to success. Southern Miss led the Sun Belt in sacks (44) and tackles for loss (109) last season, along with finishing second in the conference in interceptions with 17.

Armstrong and Napier have a previous relationship as the former served under Napier as inside linebackers coach at Louisiana during the 2020 season. Prior to joining Napier in 2020, Armstrong worked under Kirby Smart at Georgia during the 2019 season in a defensive quality control role."

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Not sad to see Toney go.

This replacement has very little experience. Two years as DC at Southern Miss in the Sunbelt? Stats are less than impressive.

I hope that rumor is false.

BN needs to find a Bob Stoops type DC (young with top 5 defense) that can recruit or a seasoned veteran that can handle 100% of that side of the ball.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
You can't have it both ways people. If you want Toney gone this is a good thing. He sux.

I am not of the belief you need to have some specific type of experience. You can either coach or you can't. Much of coaching is innate. You do not need experience to know that your CB's do not need to be 8 yards in soft coverage on 3rd down and 3. Joe Lee Dunn Jr. has loads of experience and can't coach SHYT. You either can coach or you can't, period end of story. Goodbye Toney, hello someone new. It can't be any worse.

Also if Sling Blade is not willing to make any changes on his own, we will take outsiders doing it for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.