Arizona Cardinals hire away DC Patrick Toney; Austin Armstrong new DC

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He’d bitch, piss and moan at anyone we hired. He’s checked out and is simply miserable with Gator football at this point.

Or…
Ben Affleck Ass Hole GIF by Amazon Prime Video
Wrong on the first, definitely the second. And by the way, if we had hired Kevin Steele I would have been fine with it. He recruits, knows the league and has beaten bama as a DC more than most, maybe more than all.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2:

Sure Jan GIF

Alabama hired him for the job he earned/deserved. We're trying out a 29 y/o position coach at DC because we're the smartest guys in the room. The spirit of Foley is alive and well in the program. Exciting times in Gainesville!

The spirit of Foley?

Apparently you haven’t heard that Foley is alive and well in the program. He never left and the damage is obvious

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Donkey piped up:

"Seems a little slow on the board, so.... anyone want to talk nuts and bolts of the defense? From Coach YerKillinMe Smalls interview. He threw out a bunch of coachspeak but here is the important stuff with all the "you knows" and "rights" removed:

will we base out of a 3-3-5 per se but really a 4-2-5

multiple four down front team

plays split safety man match

middle of the field closed coverage

pressure/creeper

4 man pressure vs pass 5 man vs run

fire zone cover three concepts

multiple front end multiple backend....
scheme flexible to what you are seeing from the other team

but also what your players can do"

The last sentence may swallow the rest and frankly I think it is where Toney failed. He just didn't see how limited his defenders were. Not really his fault because although he is a great defensive mind (a true top 10 defense guy) he just hasn't seen SEC talent before.

Let's start at the top 3-4/ 3-3-5/ 4-2, it is to the point that the numbers don't mean anything anymore. To me it is simply a 4-2 like we've been playing (mostly) since musChump. It is officially a 3 man front (NT, tackle, SDE) but there will be a "Linebacker Edge/Rush/ Buck/whatever" who is in reality the 4th down lineman, almost always with his hand in the dirt.

As I mentioned before we see many of "strong DE's" from before, the puny 240 pound kids like Princely, moving to edge on the roster so we WILL be getting heavier. 3 real DL, not 2. One rushbacker on the DL, not two or even 3 like we did under Fatass Dwag.

This one change should make our bag of ass defense so much less pussy-ish. It's like we thought we were playing Big 12 offenses (or CUSA) with that crap, instead of an SEC full of run run run teams.

Multiple 4 down front team: We will see. Saban and Smart do this some, actually rotating in a strong side linebacker instead of star and a four DL in place of the Edgebacker.

You also see those teams sending both edge and the other back threatening the line, where you don't know exactly which of the outside backers is rushing, which I guess could be considered multiple, but we don't. Saban and Smart do this as well. I suspect it is as simple as Saban has elite players and both can rush, play run defense and cover. We simply don't. Last year we had Cox who could do nothing but rush and Burney was decent in coverage and not much at anything else. You didn't want to see Cox trying to cover a running back, TE or slot. He tried it once or twice and it was enough.

Split man safety, honestly I don't much know of what we have been doing presnap. TV just doesn't show us the safeties generally. Split man means we probably line up with 2 high safeties vs 1 starting in the box and the free safety clearly playing centerfield, think Reggie ****ing Nelson starting like 12 and sometimes 17 yards deep while the other safety was showing himself as a backer/box player type role.

So "split safety" BUT Middle of the Field Closed (MOFC). This means one high coverage with one safety doing something other than what the initial show of 2 high is. This means movement and communication. We haven't been good at this much.

If you don't get the language here is a very brief summation. Excuse the source but it really is the best one I found: Whiteboard Wednesday: Explaining basic coverages

Bottom line: MOFC equals a safety in the middle (1 or 3 high coverage). MOFO means no safety in the middle (2 or 4, or the combo 2/4 defense we call cover 6).

There are some longer videos or pages showing it in detail if you wish to understand more when you hear MEG, MOD, rip/liz etc.

The Complete Guide to Nick Saban Coverages at Alabama

Even better if you are killing time, here is the visual:

(Still hopeful Karl Scott makes his way to UF someday. He is at least a great coach and I'd be willing to try him as a DC.)

Coach Smalls specifically mentions crash so understand that is the corner blitz defense we see so often. I'm not sure it means we are running it more or just giving filler. You know these clueless reporters don't even speak the language.

Multiple multiple (meaning multiple front end looks/multiple backend looks)... well...I just don't see it. if you have the top talent Bama and Ugly does, maybe. We just don't get that. The reason a kid is #400 instead of a top 100 kid is because he doesn't do part of that stuff well, he is an edge who is an elite pass rusher but not an elite cover guy etc. If he were elite at both pass rush, run and pass defense, he wouldn't be #400. It also means the players have to TRUST each other so they aren't cheating looks at other defenders and receivers see if the other dude is doing his job, and COMMUNICATE. Honestly our crowd noise probably affects our ability to do that. Yelling liz and smash during the noise of the swamp just doesn't work IMO.

Pressure/ creeper- more simulated pressure stuff like we saw under Toney. The thing is when they know you are bluffing, it isn't really a bluff, is it? We will see how this works this year. I'm not a fan of even mentioning simulated pressure.

Fire zone cover three. Fire means basically an inside backer blitzing.

Cover 3.... whehhhh. The bane of our existence for a while. Corners bailing out and giving that soft flats, expecting outside backers or star to cover that, or just conceding it. This hasnt worked well for us but you get that I guess when you can't trust your corners to mod or your safeties to cover."

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
The last sentence may swallow the rest and frankly I think it is where Toney failed. He just didn't see how limited his defenders were. Not really his fault because although he is a great defensive mind (a true top 10 defense guy) he just hasn't seen SEC talent before.
I stopped reading after this sentence. Great defensive mind, top 10 with a bottom of NCAA results. Nope.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Thanks Donk. I appreciate the thorough overview and I’ll explore the links when I have time.

The “rush 4 pass/rush 5 run” concept is interesting to me, aggressive. We really need to find guys who can set the edge and get to the QB. Collins may be our best hope.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Donkey piped up:

"Seems a little slow on the board, so.... anyone want to talk nuts and bolts of the defense? From Coach YerKillinMe Smalls interview. He threw out a bunch of coachspeak but here is the important stuff with all the "you knows" and "rights" removed:

will we base out of a 3-3-5 per se but really a 4-2-5

multiple four down front team

plays split safety man match

middle of the field closed coverage

pressure/creeper

4 man pressure vs pass 5 man vs run

fire zone cover three concepts

multiple front end multiple backend....
scheme flexible to what you are seeing from the other team

but also what your players can do"

Let's start at the top 3-4/ 3-3-5/ 4-2, it is to the point that the numbers don't mean anything anymore. To me it is simply a 4-2 like we've been playing (mostly) since musChump. It is officially a 3 man front (NT, tackle, SDE) but there will be a "Linebacker Edge/Rush/ Buck/whatever" who is in reality the 4th down lineman, almost always with his hand in the dirt.

As I mentioned before we see many of "strong DE's" from before, the puny 240 pound kids like Princely, moving to edge on the roster so we WILL be getting heavier. 3 real DL, not 2. One rushbacker on the DL, not two or even 3 like we did under Fatass Dwag.

This one change should make our bag of ass defense so much less pussy-ish. It's like we thought we were playing Big 12 offenses (or CUSA) with that crap, instead of an SEC full of run run run teams.

Multiple 4 down front team: We will see. Saban and Smart do this some, actually rotating in a strong side linebacker instead of star and a four DL in place of the Edgebacker.

You also see those teams sending both edge and the other back threatening the line, where you don't know exactly which of the outside backers is rushing, which I guess could be considered multiple, but we don't. Saban and Smart do this as well. I suspect it is as simple as Saban has elite players and both can rush, play run defense and cover. We simply don't. Last year we had Cox who could do nothing but rush and Burney was decent in coverage and not much at anything else. You didn't want to see Cox trying to cover a running back, TE or slot. He tried it once or twice and it was enough.

Split man safety, honestly I don't much know of what we have been doing presnap. TV just doesn't show us the safeties generally. Split man means we probably line up with 2 high safeties vs 1 starting in the box and the free safety clearly playing centerfield, think Reggie ****ing Nelson starting like 12 and sometimes 17 yards deep while the other safety was showing himself as a backer/box player type role.

So "split safety" BUT Middle of the Field Closed (MOFC). This means one high coverage with one safety doing something other than what the initial show of 2 high is. This means movement and communication. We haven't been good at this much.

If you don't get the language here is a very brief summation. Excuse the source but it really is the best one I found: Whiteboard Wednesday: Explaining basic coverages

Bottom line: MOFC equals a safety in the middle (1 or 3 high coverage). MOFO means no safety in the middle (2 or 4, or the combo 2/4 defense we call cover 6).

There are some longer videos or pages showing it in detail if you wish to understand more when you hear MEG, MOD, rip/liz etc.

The Complete Guide to Nick Saban Coverages at Alabama

Even better if you are killing time, here is the visual:

(Still hopeful Karl Scott makes his way to UF someday. He is at least a great coach and I'd be willing to try him as a DC.)

Coach Smalls specifically mentions crash so understand that is the corner blitz defense we see so often. I'm not sure it means we are running it more or just giving filler. You know these clueless reporters don't even speak the language.

Multiple multiple (meaning multiple front end looks/multiple backend looks)... well...I just don't see it. if you have the top talent Bama and Ugly does, maybe. We just don't get that. The reason a kid is #400 instead of a top 100 kid is because he doesn't do part of that stuff well, he is an edge who is an elite pass rusher but not an elite cover guy etc. If he were elite at both pass rush, run and pass defense, he wouldn't be #400. It also means the players have to TRUST each other so they aren't cheating looks at other defenders and receivers see if the other dude is doing his job, and COMMUNICATE. Honestly our crowd noise probably affects our ability to do that. Yelling liz and smash during the noise of the swamp just doesn't work IMO.

Pressure/ creeper- more simulated pressure stuff like we saw under Toney. The thing is when they know you are bluffing, it isn't really a bluff, is it? We will see how this works this year. I'm not a fan of even mentioning simulated pressure.

Fire zone cover three. Fire means basically an inside backer blitzing.

Cover 3.... whehhhh. The bane of our existence for a while. Corners bailing out and giving that soft flats, expecting outside backers or star to cover that, or just conceding it. This hasnt worked well for us but you get that I guess when you can't trust your corners to mod or your safeties to cover."

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
17 likes for a post that had to be copied and pasted. Why doesn't Law just make a cameo every now and then? We don't bite.

Or would we?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What's the word on the TE Coach we hired today?
Former OC with pretty good success at it, coached QBs and WRs. Recently had a stint with LSU for a year, followed by the Giants for a year. Was on our off the field staff last year. No idea on his recruiting chops, but he has on field success and experience he can point to, so as long as he busts his ass in recruiting he should be able to get some results.

I'm guessing since his background is working with the passing game, they'll leave the blocking technique to the dual line coaches. I don't dislike the hire. With the type of offense we play, it's not like we're going to bring in gamechangers at TE like they do at Georgia. If he can manage to make the TEs a part of the passing game, then I'd consider that a success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb