Arkansas State set to sue Miami if payment for canceled game is not made soon

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, when PDS got fired we know he must have landed at Arky State.

I bet there coaches don't have covenants not to compete or offset provisions in their salaries, buyout/severance packages.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Hasn't UF paid out under similar circumstances on multiple occasions? Legality is one thing, right and wrong are something else again. Stay classy Miami. I hope they eventually drop FB, the CFB world would be a better place.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Every contract has the stipulation of Force Majeure...basically if there is an act of nature that prohibits the agreement from being executed, then the contract is null and void. I side with Miami on this one....yes, I just threw up in my mouth. But there was a freakin Cat 5 beaing down on the state and though ASU offered to fly them to Memphis, the school didn't find it wise to leave the state that was just about to get hammered.

interesting...you would think Arky State would know of such a clause and not force the issue

The contract apparently does have a "Force Majeure" clause:

From the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article199722524.html

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It doesnt really matter. An Act of God is a defense to a breach in almost any contract (but maybe not an insurance contract).

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gloria Estefan and her Miami Sound Machine?

Has everyone noticed that they get little to no money from all of those great former players?

Their former players fall into two groups:
1. They viewed themselves as mercenaries with no ties to the school
2. They are all broke now that their careers are over

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
They cancelled the game because they knew they were likely to lose. You would think they'd be glad to pay up just to make it all go away.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is from Stewart Mandel's mailbag:

Stewart, Arkansas State is threatening to sue Miami for breach of contract for canceling their Sept. 9, 2017 game due to Hurricane Irma. They’re basically claiming that because Irma didn’t hit Florida until Sept. 10, Miami should have flown to Arkansas ahead of the storm and played. This would have made it impossible for Miami’s players and staff to take necessary precautions to protect their homes and families from the approaching Category 5 storm. I get that Arkansas State was disappointed, but have they lost their minds?

Kyle Berglin, Miami

I don’t think Arkansas State has lost its mind, but the school comes off as being pretty darn callous. In September, Miami assistant Ephraim Banda detailed for my colleague Max Olson just how traumatic that time period was for the members of the program. He and his family packed up their important belongings and evacuated to different cities. He spent days cleaning up after the storm. It’s pretty ridiculous to suggest the 'Canes should have just squeezed in a football game and come back.

In fact, they might not have been able to come back. Florida Atlantic, for one, got stranded out of town after playing at Wisconsin that weekend.

All that being said, I get why Arkansas State is not taking this lightly. Losing $650,000 you were counting on for your athletic department is no small thing at a Sun Belt school. Even if it doesn’t truly expect to recoup the whole amount, perhaps it thinks going public with the threat will motivate Miami to reach a settlement.

But I wouldn’t count on it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hasn't UF paid out under similar circumstances on multiple occasions? Legality is one thing, right and wrong are something else again. Stay classy Miami. I hope they eventually drop FB, the CFB world would be a better place.

I think we paid out when the team was already here (I think it was Idaho 2014?) where one play was run and lightning cancelled the game. I don't know what we did this past year with the jabrony who was our tune up game before Tennessee.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we paid out when the team was already here (I think it was Idaho 2014?) where one play was run and lightning cancelled the game. I don't know what we did this past year with the jabrony who was our tune up game before Tennessee.

We paid, it's what we do best.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2015
Has everyone noticed that they get little to no money from all of those great former players?

Double Gator Dad, not sure where you are getting your information, but it is a fact that former players have donated in excess of 2M to the indoor practice facility within the past year alone. Greg Olson and wife just recently donated $100,000 & even Coach MR put 1M toward this endeavor. Maybe my paltry few hundred dollars will put in a few squares of sod. The "two groups" you mentioned could be relative to any university and not just exclusive to Miami.

Very true that Miami does not have as much money as UF or FSU or a lot of universities...no State funds and far less monied boosters. Can't compete with enrollment of more than 40,000 @ UF/FSU vs. 10,000. at Miami. Regardless, they hang pretty good both academically and athletically with the major universities. We are on par with UF academically and both of us are far above FSU. The major three in FL have all won NC's and all are a well-known brand throughout the nation and all recruit extremely well.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

3. They've spent all their money at the prison canteen.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad, not sure where you are getting your information, but it is a fact that former players have donated in excess of 2M to the indoor practice facility within the past year alone. Greg Olson and wife just recently donated $100,000 & even Coach MR put 1M toward this endeavor. Maybe my paltry few hundred dollars will put in a few squares of sod. The "two groups" you mentioned could be relative to any university and not just exclusive to Miami.

Very true that Miami does not have as much money as UF or FSU or a lot of universities...no State funds and far less monied boosters. Can't compete with enrollment of more than 40,000 @ UF/FSU vs. 10,000. at Miami. Regardless, they hang pretty good both academically and athletically with the major universities. We are on par with UF academically and both of us are far above FSU. The major three in FL have all won NC's and all are a well-known brand throughout the nation and all recruit extremely well.

Other than being a bit of a smart a$$, my only point was that with the huge amount of success UM has had and all of the millionaires that passed through the program, one would think that UM would have massive donations from former players.
You and I both know why this is not the case

Jun 2, 2015
3. They've spent all their money at the prison canteen.

rogdochar, I don't wish to talk about our past evil deeds. With Preacher Richt at the helm, we are the closest thing you could get to being choir boys now. Although Preacher Richt had a fit and let loose with some bad words on national TV this past year. So, just maybe the U has had some influence on him vs. the other way around!!! Regardless, we actually have become rather dull and have to live vicariously thru UF & FSU.

Jun 2, 2015
They cancelled the game because they knew they were likely to lose. You would think they'd be glad to pay up just to make it all go away.

":Likely to lose"....LOL....surely you jest or perhaps just wishful thinking?? Could you Gators please loan us $649,000? We don't got no money!!

The suit is mainly over the fact that they feel we have not offered to reschedule the game as soon as they want it. We offered 2024 and they want 2020 or 2021. If tried in district court in Arkansas, we lose but if tried in Federal court we have a good chance of winning. We had to reschedule a conf. game (FSU) and ended up with no bye week and then were in the playoffs.

They are now concerned that if we do play them in the near future we will try & put 100 on them....actually 99 would be ok with me. And I am concerned that it would not be too safe for them to come to Miami as we have a few fans that are a bit off center. UCF didn't reschedule GA Tech & I don't hear them whining and I seriously doubt there was any payment.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
":Likely to lose"....LOL....surely you jest or perhaps just wishful thinking?? Could you Gators please loan us $649,000? We don't got no money!!

The suit is mainly over the fact that they feel we have not offered to reschedule the game as soon as they want it. We offered 2024 and they want 2020 or 2021. If tried in district court in Arkansas, we lose but if tried in Federal court we have a good chance of winning. We had to reschedule a conf. game (FSU) and ended up with no bye week and then were in the playoffs.

They are now concerned that if we do play them in the near future we will try & put 100 on them....actually 99 would be ok with me. And I am concerned that it would not be too safe for them to come to Miami as we have a few fans that are a bit off center. UCF didn't reschedule GA Tech & I don't hear them whining and I seriously doubt there was any payment.
We saw the real scUM when you finished with a 3 game losing streak, not the team that stumbled to a few lucky wins. All cane fans knew it was a dangerous game and no win situation with a very good chance of losing if you took the trip to Jonesboro with a short week of practice. So of course the administration made the self-serving spineless decision to cancel the game.

And I knew FSU were a bunch of DelusioNoles, but WTF are you talking about? Canes in the playoff?:bwahaha:

Someone had to represent that steaming pile of dogshlt that is the ACC coastal division, so wow, the criminals finally actually played for their first A-She-She Tiara . How'd that go again? Oh yeah, YOU LOST 38 to 3. How the fuk is that playing in the college football playoffs:headslap::lmao:

27564b31a1c57ad28ecc2c5a8925aadface07277f29de1b474599386af244f61.jpg

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Well I don't understand a couple of things here:

1. How can Miami cancel a game at Arkansas State? They can forfeit the game, by not showing. No matter what the article says, they can not cancel a game they do not control.

2. Are there not forfeit penalties in the contract?

Language matters, particularly in contracts.

Jun 2, 2015
We saw the real scUM when you finished with a 3 game losing streak, not the team that stumbled to a few lucky wins. Yup , we had #10 (TEN) lucky wins which included FSU & 41 to 8 over Notre Dame...not too bad!!! All cane fans knew it was a dangerous game and no win situation with a very good chance of losing if you took the trip to Jonesboro with a short week of practice. You do realize Arkansas State's record was 7-5, so don't think we were too scared of them. So of course the administration made the self-serving spineless decision to cancel the game. I believe UF cancelled the game with N. Colorado as they should have. Did UF try to reschedule OR did UF pay N. Colorado? Just asking. As best that I can recall, FSU is the only one who rescheduled the cancelled game and we all know why they did it.

And I knew FSU were a bunch of DelusioNoles, but WTF are you talking about? Canes in the playoff?:bwahaha: Sorry, I used the wrong word....should have said ACC conference championship game. Is that better?

Someone had to represent that steaming pile of dogshlt that is the ACC coastal division, so wow, the criminals finally actually played for their first A-She-She Tiara . How'd that go again? Oh yeah, YOU LOST 38 to 3. How the fuk is that playing in the college football playoffs:headslap::lmao: Let's see, I believe that "school out west" is in the coastal, the one that has beaten both of our teams the last few years, so not too shabby. SEC's strength currently is Alabama & GA. Hopefully, UF will improve under Coach Mullins and can beat GA and Alabama. I am optimistic that both of our teams will do well in 2018. PS: We have both had our share of criminals - yours being a bit more recent. BTW, I get it.....you hate the 'Canes. I understand as 99.99% of the 'Cane fans are not too fond of the Gators. I am one of the few 'Cane fans who happen to like the Gators. Guess 'cause I was raised in North FL.

27564b31a1c57ad28ecc2c5a8925aadface07277f29de1b474599386af244f61.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.