Athlon Ranks Next Year's QB's

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
:ohnoez:

He hasn't played a down, so there is no shock that they'd have him that low. On the bright side, we are ahead of UM and TAMU :woohoo:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Though I don't have any high hopes for what the product will be. The only tape they have on Franks is either high school or last year's spring game. Where would you have him ranked with that data?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Will Grier is #32 btw. A full 45 spots ahead of our boy.

If Grier plays a full season in that wide open offense and big 12 defenses... 32 would be low. He also has actual game tape of him against live bodies. Going from a conference where defense is played to a conference where defense is 3rd behind offense and Special Teams. With his talent and that offensive system he should light it up.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not confident in our QB situation, but how could anyone rank Franks or Trask at the collegiate level? Now, if they want to rank LDR then that would be a fair judgment.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not confident in our QB situation, but how could anyone rank Franks or Trask at the collegiate level? Now, if they want to rank LDR then that would be a fair judgment.
:exactly:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Though I don't have any high hopes for what the product will be. The only tape they have on Franks is either high school or last year's spring game. Where would you have him ranked with that data?

I just thinks it says a lot about the opinion of UF, McElwain, and a top QB recruit.

Tennessee is in the same boat but they have some guy named Jarrett Guarantano at #62.

If Athlon had any confidence that McElwain could develop a QB or run an offense don't you think Franks would be ranked higher than Band Boys guy?

When you've been living at #114 in offense I guess this could be considered a step in the right direction? o_O

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just thinks it says a lot about the opinion of UF, McElwain, and a top QB recruit.

Tennessee is in the same boat but they have some guy named Jarrett Guarantano at #62.

If Athlon had any confidence that McElwain could develop a QB or run an offense don't you think Franks would be ranked higher than Band Boys guy?

When you've been living at #114 in offense I guess this could be considered a step in the right direction? o_O

It says we don't know... that's it. Jarrett Guarantano looking at his high school appears to be more prepared, but is overranked in my opinion. Has not college tape. If I were to look at High School film and compare, Guarantano looks more college ready. Franks had poor high school development.

Do trust McElwain to get him right, no. At no point in his career at Florida as HC has he had to develop a Freshman to start. So we have no data at that as well. At least Band Boy we have data on developing quarterback, it's not great but they know what to expect.

This is a make or break year for McElwain, 60% of the roster is his, his quarterback, and it's year 3. So either he is going to prove a lot of people wrong (including me), or we will be looking for another coach.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
VT is the same scenario as us. But clearly the thinking is Justin Fuente is a better offensive coach than Mac.

Josh Jackson is a true freshman, has no college experience and was ranked way lower that Feleipe Franks as a recruit. But they think he will be a better QB than Franks even though Franks has a year of college coaching under MacElwain.

74. Josh Jackson, Virginia Tech

With Jerod Evans off to the NFL, second-year head coach Justin Fuente is starting over at quarterback. While Evans leaves big shoes to fill, the track record of Fuente and coordinator Brad Cornelsen should be able to find the right answer to keep Virginia Tech in the mix to win the Coastal Division. Jackson – the No. 453 recruit in the 2016 247Sports Composite – is the front-runner to start over junior college recruit A.J. Bush and true freshman Hendon Hooker.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VT is the same scenario as us. But clearly the thinking is Justin Fuente is a better offensive coach than Mac.

Josh Jackson is a true freshman, has no college experience and was ranked way lower that Feleipe Franks as a recruit. But they think he will be a better QB than Franks even though Franks has a year of college coaching under MacElwain.

74. Josh Jackson, Virginia Tech

With Jerod Evans off to the NFL, second-year head coach Justin Fuente is starting over at quarterback. While Evans leaves big shoes to fill, the track record of Fuente and coordinator Brad Cornelsen should be able to find the right answer to keep Virginia Tech in the mix to win the Coastal Division. Jackson – the No. 453 recruit in the 2016 247Sports Composite – is the front-runner to start over junior college recruit A.J. Bush and true freshman Hendon Hooker.

Track record.... again what is McElwain's track record in developing a Freshman quarterback as an HC? Tag you are beating a drum, that we don't have data to compare. We soon will. But right now, we don't. If you were to say what is McElwain and Nuss's track record with transfers... we point to LDR and Appleby.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
you mac haters need to stop saying this year its on him since its his recruits. I have it on good authority (GCMB pumpers) that its takes at least 4 years before we can have expectations.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Track record.... again what is McElwain's track record in developing a Freshman quarterback as an HC? Tag you are beating a drum, that we don't have data to compare. We soon will. But right now, we don't. If you were to say what is McElwain and Nuss's track record with transfers... we point to LDR and Appleby.

So I guess we could just not discuss anything.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So I guess we could just not discuss anything.

Just saying you are sitting here trying to prove that coaches with track records should be compared to coaches without. I expect McElwain to show he isn't ready for Big Boy Football this year (not that he has shown that he is thus far), but when saying hey this shows how bad our coaching it... Lets compare guys with track records to guys without. The data just doesn't support it. It's grinding an axe just to grind an axe.

McElwain and his staff under recruited the quarterback position, which is why in year 3 we are where we are. Franks was extremely raw prospect, and our staff has no track record of developing any prospect. Both Tennessee and VT prospects could at least do their quarterback drops with correct footing and balance in their High School tape (youtube/rivals), Franks didn't even do that right during last years Spring Game.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Discussion? Just sounds like more of the same old topic with no attempt to see any outcome other than disaster.

My 2cents worth:
1. I'm not really impressed with anything I've seen offensively from this staff but they've won 2 SEC East Championships with a garbage offense so saying this is a make or break year just doesn't make sense to me.
2. To say Mac has no track record just doesn't jive with his coaching record. He has coached Championship Teams, including Alabama, and has been given much credit for the good QB play at several schools. Unfortunately what we've seen at Florida doesn't spark much confidence in the fan base but from a distance, his record is just short of outstanding (not to me).
3. Preseason ratings are totally worthless!
4. Articles like this are written to spark emotional response and debate which generates clicks and money.
5. At this point the odds are that Florida will be markedly better on offense in 2017. How much better depends on injuries and depth problems.
6. The common trait of all successful coaches is stubbornness and Mac seems to have that in abundance.... Unfortunately the most common trait of coaching bust is also stubbornness.
7. Bottom line to me.... Florida will be much better offensively this season but we will be slightly worse on defense. The schedule is favorable so I expect to challenge for the East Championship again although we may have more loses than last year. Will that make me happy? Don't know yet. Would I be upset if Mac moves on? No.. Would I be upset if Mac hangs around for a few more years? No.. It is what it is....... We are still Florida!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Will Grier is #32 btw. A full 45 spots ahead of our boy.
Anything that projects one of our QBs or offense in the top 100 has no credibility.

We have a proven track record.

I feel bad for the people ranked below us. That is just disrespectful.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anything that projects one of our QBs or offense in the top 100 has no credibility.

We have a proven track record.

Any projection that our offense would be higher than 100s is questionable. That track record is now about 6 seasons long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator