Atlanta Falcons choose Raheem Morris; Steelers hire Arthur Smith as OC

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
After having a few days to ponder this hire... I think RM will do a good job in Atlanta.
You have to admire Deuce's determination though. No matter how many schiffy coaches he supports, he puffs just as hard for the NEXT schiffy coach.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look, a dead body is an upgrade over Arthur Smith. Who drafts a TE and a RB in the first round and then puts them in a 50/50 timeshare with the lackluster backup at their position?
Douchebag Dan gave him the scouting report. Always sit Pitts as much as possible so he doesnt ruin your ideal base offense. If Pitts is on the field the QB will throw the ball to him and score points, instead of winning the rushing yards stats.

Do this even if it means playing a community college transfer whose next job will be a stunt double in Thor 4. And don't tell me how that Thor wannabe SHOULD have been a great blocker, because despite the bodybuilding that dude might be the worst blocking TE Ive ever seen.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I think this says more about the current Atlanta job than anything. There was really only one good opening this offseason and Harbaugh got it. Maybe Washington. I’m no BB fan, but there’s no way he pushed for that job, and if he did the demands would’ve been insane. Whoever they eventually landed was likely going to be a settle. Maybe a smart move by Blank to at least get credit for the diversity in the process.

The LA job isn’t that great and quite frankly, not much different than the Falcons gig. It’s actually probably a worse job in the grand scheme of things at this time. The Chargers have a QB but they don’t have many offensive weapons around him. The Falcons don’t have a QB but they have some offensive weapons for a new QB to work with. Statistically, the Falcons were the better offense in 2023 despite fielding a tomato can at QB. The Chargers defense was much worse than Atlanta’s this past season. The Chargers are also in much worse shape with salary cap and what some of their veteran players will need to be re-signed.

The Falcons do have a huge handicap by having a dipshyt owner named Arthur Blank and a dipshyt former GM (still hanging around the building, though, similar to Foley) named Rich McKay. I don’t know much about Chargers ownership so I can’t speak to what they are like.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
With Blank I can understand. He's the classic meddling ignoramus owner. But McKay? He built the Tampa Bay Bucs team that won XXXVII from the ground up through the draft. He's well respected around the league.

I can hear his dad now. Execution? I'm all for it.

McKay is an idiot, just like Blank. Those two deserve each other.

BTW, McKay just got demoted. Blank removed him from football ops so he could focus on Blank’s MLS team.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The LA job isn’t that great and quite frankly, not much different than the Falcons gig. It’s actually probably a worse job in the grand scheme of things at this time. The Chargers have a QB but they don’t have many offensive weapons around him. The Falcons don’t have a QB but they have some offensive weapons for a new QB to work with. Statistically, the Falcons were the better offense in 2023 despite fielding a tomato can at QB. The Chargers defense was much worse than Atlanta’s this past season. The Chargers are also in much worse shape with salary cap and what some of their veteran players will need to be re-signed.

The Falcons do have a huge handicap by having a dipshyt owner named Arthur Blank and a dipshyt former GM (still hanging around the building, though, similar to Foley) named Rich McKay. I don’t know much about Chargers ownership so I can’t speak to what they are like.
I'd rather have a QB and no weapons than a bunch of weapons with no QB. Weapons can be added, QB's can't.

Saying that, the Chargers have plenty of talent. It was the best available job.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
One thing I’m not liking that I keep hearing is how Pitts is overrated, under achieving and close to a bust based on where he was drafted.

This won’t be a popular opinion on this board, and I said it back when they drafted him, but it was a stupid move by the Falcons. You don’t take a TE at #4. The Falcons have needed so much for so long but QB and/or edge rusher is what you take that high. In my opinion, they should have traded down and acquired more picks, or traded up if there was a franchise QB available. I think they could have picked up Pitts several slots lower than #4. But at the end of the day, their front office and scouting department suck so badly that they would have squandered away any additional selections they acquired through trades.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I'd rather have a QB and no weapons than a bunch of weapons with no QB. Weapons can be added, QB's can't.

This. If we’re seeing nothing else right now it’s that if you can get elite play from your QB you’ll go far in the playoffs. I can agree that the LA job probably had some downfalls as well, but it was the best job because you can build around Herbert.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

I agree with you in that I’d want a QB rather than the weapons. With that being said, Herbert is a good QB but he’s not elite. Maybe Harbaugh can further develop him because he needs it.

The other problems are the Chargers don’t have a defense and they are constrained by the salary cap so adding weapons on both sides of the ball will be challenging in the foreseeable future.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
This. If we’re seeing nothing else right now it’s that if you can get elite play from your QB you’ll go far in the playoffs. I can agree that the LA job probably had some downfalls as well, but it was the best job because you can build around Herbert.

Herbert is good but he’s not elite. The Chargers have a ton of holes on both sides of the ball and not a lot of cap space. That will take years to fix. Chargers had the 28th ranked defense in the league. Nobody is winning shyyt with the 28th ranked D.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
So the Falcons hire Raheem Morris and all I can do is shake my head. Falcons leadership make the Gators AD office look like football geniuses. Arthur Blank is one of the worst loser owners in the league and Rich McKay flat out sucks. The entire front office, including scouting department are terrible. Look at all the draft picks the Falcons have missed on in the past 15 years. It’s pathetic.

I didn’t really want Belichick because he’s old, only in it for the short term/breaking Shula’s record and his record post Brady is bad. Also at issue is his GM moves-the guy has to own the bad draft picks over the past several years and there are plenty to own.

But Raheem Morris, a career .354 head coach? WTF??? Even more puzzling is they passed RM over a few years ago when they hired Arthur FedEx.

Maybe Harbaugh turned them down but throw the bank at the guy if you think he’s a good coach (which I happen to believe). If he says no, how about a guy like Mike Vrabel? Raheem Morris just has no sizzle whatsoever. I hope Morris knocks it out of the park but I just don’t see that happening.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I can't imagine how badly the Steelers fans are melting down. I cannot think of a worse hire for a team that was already hurting offensively. This TARD was just FIRED because he's the biggest idiotic offensive mind the NFL has ever seen.

George Pickens must be on suicide watch.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
People are lauding Smith's tenure at Tennessee when he had a "top run game" with Derrick Henry in his prime. JBoss at OC could have had a top run game during that span.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.