Recruiting Auburn set to open brand new $28 million "recruiting center"

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If you want your cash cow to keep giving, you need it to be fed well, have a great pasture and barn. If your cow is on display, the barn and pasture needs to be really nice and in tip top condition to attract visitors.

And yet this is obvious to everyone but our athletic department.

The primary reason is probably that there isnt a single damn football person on the staff.

Not one.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I was hoping to find worksheets attached to Form 990. They would have revealed more.
Didn't think of that. One would expect that they would have that information easily attainable. I'm sure they know it. I'm pretty sloppy with my accounting but if you ask I can generally figure out stuff.
For instance everything I buy from MacPapers shows up as COS - Paper. However, everything I buy from MacPapers is not paper. But I get one bill from them every month so I just put it in the paper account. But some of that is office supplies -TP etc, some of it is actually large format supplies - foam core, banner stands etc. If you want to know how much is actually paper I'd have to request a detailed report from Mac, load it in a Excel spreadsheet and categorize every item I purchased which I'd guess is in the order of 500 items for the year. Now if I had a full time bookkeeper I'd have them do that for me daily and I'd know. I'm sure that the UAA has a team of bean counters that itemize every penny that goes in or out.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't think of that. One would expect that they would have that information easily attainable. I'm sure they know it. I'm pretty sloppy with my accounting but if you ask I can generally figure out stuff.
For instance everything I buy from MacPapers shows up as COS - Paper. However, everything I buy from MacPapers is not paper. But I get one bill from them every month so I just put it in the paper account. But some of that is office supplies -TP etc, some of it is actually large format supplies - foam core, banner stands etc. If you want to know how much is actually paper I'd have to request a detailed report from Mac, load it in a Excel spreadsheet and categorize every item I purchased which I'd guess is in the order of 5000 items for the year. Now if I had a full time bookkeeper I'd have them do that for me daily and I'd know. I'm sure that the UAA has a team of bean counters that itemize every penny that goes in or out.
We're profitable but some expenses are problematic. See p. 43.

William L. Muschamp $792,466
James F. McElwain $3,208,504
Douglas Keith Nussmeier $517,486

The last two were BEFORE the raises given by Stricklin.

I'm humored that we had several million dollars invested in mutual funds that invest exclusively in bonds. Not ETFs that are cheap, but rather plain old mutual funds. Bond funds are notoriously weighted down by expenses.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure corporations and Athletic organizations play by different rules. But sorry, this level of detail tells me nothing. Years ago I had to plow through P&L's and balance sheets when we were about to close on a potential takeover target. The financial guys did their thing, but as an operations guy I had to give these things a litmus test, because I was going to be in the middle of the merger. Example: we were looking to buy a "profitable" boot manufacturer. I took a look at the line item for inventory on hand. It was high. So I sent guys to put eyeballs on the inventory. Whoops...two thirds of the inventory was full of returns that were beyond resale. They didn't want to write it down so it sat in warehouses collecting dust and creating "Profit". We passed.

I'm not saying the UAA does anything like that. Just that you can't tell from this stuff.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We're profitable but some expenses are problematic. See p. 43.

William L. Muschamp $792,466
James F. McElwain $3,208,504
Douglas Keith Nussmeier $517,486

The last two were BEFORE the raises given by Stricklin.

I'm humored that we had several million dollars invested in mutual funds that invest exclusively in bonds. Not ETFs that are cheap, but rather plain old mutual funds. Bond funds are notoriously weighted down by expenses.

Coaching turnover is expensive. Add to that the cost of new coaching staffs; buying out contracts, moving, bonuses.

I think what many of us see as problematic is that other sports account for 3% of revenue but 14% of expenses. On a $128M budget that's a $14M trade deficit. Baseball loses money but gets a $50M ball field. Hell that's more than UCF paid for their football stadium. Maybe baseball could have lived with a $30M park.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Coaching turnover is expensive. Add to that the cost of new coaching staffs; buying out contracts, moving, bonuses.

I think what many of us see as problematic is that other sports account for 3% of revenue but 14% of expenses. On a $128M budget that's a $14M trade deficit. Baseball loses money but gets a $50M ball field. Hell that's more than UCF paid for their football stadium. Maybe baseball could have lived with a $30M park.
I was surprised at the amount allocated to the new baseball stadium. That's what a CWS title and an AD who cut his teeth in baseball will do for you.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure corporations and Athletic organizations play by different rules. But sorry, this level of detail tells me nothing. Years ago I had to plow through P&L's and balance sheets when we were about to close on a potential takeover target. The financial guys did their thing, but as an operations guy I had to give these things a litmus test, because I was going to be in the middle of the merger. Example: we were looking to buy a "profitable" boot manufacturer. I took a look at the line item for inventory on hand. It was high. So I sent guys to put eyeballs on the inventory. Whoops...two thirds of the inventory was full of returns that were beyond resale. They didn't want to write it down so it sat in warehouses collecting dust and creating "Profit". We passed.

I'm not saying the UAA does anything like that. Just that you can't tell from this stuff.
But it does. Look at the inventory of ex-coaches.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So has 78 convinced us all yet that Foley did the right thing and let our facilities go in the shi*tter?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The original plan in 2016 was $100M facility improvement, $65M going to football. Now the plan is $130M but still only $65M to football. They came up with an extra $30M pretty easy. And none of that goes to football. Priorities. That pisses me off.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So has 78 convinced us all yet that Foley did the right thing and let our facilities go in the shi*tter?
You're free to quote anything I said to that effect.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Making the money add up is almost impossible with all the different budgets as UF will pay for different items and parts of salaries from different funding sources. One article had BB making about 14 million with 2 million in expenditures. Has to be way more than 2, unless salaries and different items come from other buckets of money.

And UF has tons of money as they are under the gun to spend down the level of their reserves. Provost has a bazillion projects going on.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Crikey just look at he facilities budget that went from $100M to $130M in two years. Where there's a will there's a way. We ain't hurtin' for money.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Crikey just look at he facilities budget that went from $100M to $130M in two years. Where there's a will there's a way. We ain't hurtin' for money.
50m bond float in the 130m needed for the facilities upgrade.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was surprised at the amount allocated to the new baseball stadium. That's what a CWS title and an AD who cut his teeth in baseball will do for you.
Wasting 50 million on a Taj Mahal for a team that loses millions a year and has an average attendance of 200 people (actual azzes in seata not tickets sold or donated to boys clubs).

What a joke.

And football waits....and waits.... and waits...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wasting 50 million on a Taj Mahal for a team that loses millions a year and has an average attendance of 200 people (actual azzes in seata not tickets sold or donated to boys clubs).

What a joke.

And football waits....and waits.... and waits...
The timing was all wrong -- assuming you're not a big fan of Gator baseball. Just as they rose to the top, circumstances led to them needing a new home. The fallout from throwing a newly crowned CWS champion out on the street would have been enormous.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The whole thing feels like a housing bubble. Heed '46's advice in his post earlier today.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Starkville Mediocrity. With Foley still lurking around the offices, the combination with Strychnine will be catastrophic.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

I see it's time for one of these threads again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.