Auburn to the east?

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I mentioned this in the chat box, but HECK NO! We understand Auburn gets beat by Bama every year, but just because they suck doesn't mean they get to come to the EAST

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It ain't happenin' anytime soon.

Auburn wants it to happen though. This would impact the "every year" rivalries for quite a few teams. If the SEC ever goes to 9 game schedules, then I could see it happening.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...ve-west-east-even-invitation-never-comes-sec/

Nevertheless, it appears to be a moot point right now. At the league level, such discussions simply aren’t happening.

“Is that an agenda item? No,” commissioner Greg Sankey said Wednesday at the SEC’s spring meetings. “Do you talk about it in media press conferences? Regularly. There’s almost this cycle now. It’s two years that you can begin predicting what will happen May 1st. The national membership conversation, then at some point someone will talk about division alignment. I think the next question is about a nine-game schedule, none of which are on our agenda.”

That being said, just because it’s not on the agenda now, that doesn’t mean it won’t be soon. There was a time when the BCS looked like it was in our lives forever, but now we’re getting ready for Year 4 of the College Football Playoff.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I mentioned this in the chat box, but HECK NO! We understand Auburn gets beat by Bama every year, but just because they suck doesn't mean they get to come to the EAST

I'm not seeing what this accomplishes other than Auburn looking for an easy road to the sec title game.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It should have happened when Mizzou joined. Geographically, it makes a ton of sense. Not sure we'll ever see it unless Bammer signs off on it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It should have happened when Mizzou joined. Geographically, it makes a ton of sense. Not sure we'll ever see it unless Bammer signs off on it.

Didn't make sense then because the SEC (and the money) need that game at the end of the season (Iron Bowl). They don't want to be in a situation where the Iron Bowl has no meaning (re-guard of whom wins both teams will be playing each other the following week). It's worth too much money for Auburn to be moved away from Alabama. Just like UGA or Tennessee will never be in a division that UF isn't in.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt it will ever happen, even though I think it should have happened went we initially went to divisional play. I think you'll see the divisions eventually go away since they are no longer required to have a championship game...which they were when this started.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt it will ever happen, even though I think it should have happened went we initially went to divisional play. I think you'll see the divisions eventually go away since they are no longer required to have a championship game...which they were when this started.
I hope they don't do away with the divisions. Could imagine how bad the sec would break it off in us every year with scheduling?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Didn't make sense then because the SEC (and the money) need that game at the end of the season (Iron Bowl). They don't want to be in a situation where the Iron Bowl has no meaning (re-guard of whom wins both teams will be playing each other the following week). It's worth too much money for Auburn to be moved away from Alabama. Just like UGA or Tennessee will never be in a division that UF isn't in.

I'm sure if Auburn moved to the East they'd make Alabama their permanent West opponent. This would screw up the rivalry between Alabama & Tennessee (although, at this point, I'm sure Tenn wouldn't mind that). However, as I mentioned before, if the SEC goes to a 9 game schedule (which many think it will eventually do) then that's the time the SEC could/would do realignment.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure if Auburn moved to the East they'd make Alabama their permanent West opponent. This would screw up the rivalry between Alabama & Tennessee (although, at this point, I'm sure Tenn wouldn't mind that). However, as I mentioned before, if the SEC goes to a 9 game schedule (which many think it will eventually do) then that's the time the SEC could/would do realignment.

I'm sure they would make the perma opponent, but then UT loses and so does UGA because of the questional opponent they will pick up...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I hope they don't do away with the divisions. Could imagine how bad the sec would break it off in us every year with scheduling?
It will probably happen. If you think about it from a league perspective, wouldn't you rather have your top 2 teams playing and pretty much guaranteeing a spot in the playoffs? Could you imagine if the lowly East representive had somehow taken out Bama the last couple of years? :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think the divisions should go away actually. It should just be the top 2 teams in each conference.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Funny, I don't remember them bandying this about back when the east was stronger and Bama and Ole Miss sucked.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Champ
Funny, I don't remember them bandying this about back when the east was stronger and Bama and Ole Miss sucked.

It's all cyclical and in time they will not be complaining about it. I think they did try to make the change in 2012, when we expanded.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bring it War Eagles and your wuss like Bo Jackson attitude :grin:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It wouldn't be good for us already having LSU every year. Better we keep Missouri every year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think the divisions should go away actually. It should just be the top 2 teams in each conference.

Disagree, but the better plan is the team w/ the best Division record wins the Division. That way you won't have LSU b*tching that they have to play us every year, for example. If you go 6-0 in the Division you should win the Division....or even if you have the best Division record.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

I would like to see this happen and us go to a 9 game conference schedule. I'm guessing we would still have some permanent every year opponents, but it would likely let us cycle through all conference opponents quicker

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

THIS.

because it would screw up the Tennessee rivalry, it'll never be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb