August In Fla Sucks, Change My Mind

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
So you basically just stop answering your phone and emails around March and then resume normalcy in mid September?

I have to say, that’s not a bad idea.

yes -

f9dO9dJ.jpg

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I have lived in Florida since I was 2 except for a few years for school and worked outside for about 45 of the past 68 years. When anyone says you get used to it, they are either CRAZY or lying. I basically had to develop a coping mechanism that fixed my attention on what I was doing. You can never let yourself think about the heat even after you have completely soaked 2 bath towels with sweat. It is similar to an eastern religious mind control approach. But we moved back to Florida after graduate school because my wife, who is from Minnesota, likes the heat. And yes, my wife of 42 years is crazy!!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I have lived in Florida since I was 2 except for a few years for school and worked outside for about 45 of the past 68 years. When anyone says you get used to it, they are either CRAZY or lying. I basically had to develop a coping mechanism that fixed my attention on what I was doing. You can never let yourself think about the heat even after you have completely soaked 2 bath towels with sweat. It is similar to an eastern religious mind control approach. But we moved back to Florida after graduate school because my wife, who is from Minnesota, likes the heat. And yes, my wife of 42 years is crazy!!

It very much is a mindset. I work inside but am dressed in a way that is not conducive to heat at all. So even an afternoon walk, running an errand, or just going getting to my car is miserable because I'm trying desperately to not get drenched. But on the weekends, when my brain is calm, I actually enjoy jogging and exercising in the heat with sweat pouring out. I also don't mind if I'm at the pool with my kids and relaxing. The moment my mind has to be engaged at all, it sucks.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
August sucks.

There's no bad time of year within 10 miles of the coast. That's been my experience. The interior of the state (where I live currently) can get somewhat unpleasant this time of year, but I don't really even notice it because I'm out in the heat with a football team starting in spring straight through the summer and into fall. You just get used to the heat and humidity in the afternoon.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
July 15 to sept 15 are typically miserable:) that’s we have have AC and tiki bars with a breeze. :)

Off the water by 10 unless it is overcast. A few mornings lately have been awful, 80 at daybreak with 80% humidity and zero breeze. When you see pods of minnows all gulping air at the surface it is time to go, lol

East coast has the most breeze, interior of the state, not so much.

5FABD8A8-25FE-48C8-AA8B-B53A6C95C706.jpeg

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Yes the heat sucks at time when you can literally see it was you walk around, but the benefits of being here outweigh it and you essentially live where most the rest of the country wishes they were.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yes the heat sucks at time when you can literally see it was you walk around, but the benefits of being here outweigh it and you essentially live where most the rest of the country wishes they were.

This. For reference, look at the other thread about where to retire in Florida. Just about every comment is about how some place used to be really quiet and isolated and is now crazy expensive and overrun with people. There's a reason for that.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
As others have said, there are worse things than living in Florida. But you’re not wrong. Not a big fan of Feb either, but August probably takes the cake as far as off months. You forgot to mention the transition from summer to school, the traffic that results, and of course the constant “storm brewing off the Horn of Africa” discussions. On the heat, we went to Disney last weekend and broke a hard fast rule by doing a park in Summer on Sunday. It was fine until I had two beers with lunch. I’m pretty sure I dropped 12 pounds that afternoon. Just dreadful.

And I’ve lived in SoFla and NoFla, and the rain thing has always been there, but does seem worse now. Thanks to that, my pavers in the back will have to be pressure washed again, which I’m pretty excited about.

The only person that really gains is the Florida weathermen. Talk about mailing it in. They don’t even care or try from May to September, and I’m pretty sure they just copy and past from random weeks over and over.

It's takes five years of college to forecast "isolated thunderstorms" in Florida. Dang ... that must take The Calculas to figure it out.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So y'all can bytch and moan all you want. I worked the pole crew for Gulf Power every summer to make money to go to school. Back then the poles were treated with creosote and you had to wear long sleeve shirts to work in. Hot, humid and covered with dirt and sand. Before sunscreen so your face was blistered. If you have never blown down a power pole on Santa Rosa Island, you don't know what gritty is. Heat and humidity are just God's way to discourage Yankees from visiting His country. However, after all of that, the hottest I have ever been (including 100+ day straight above 100 degrees in pilot training) was during an August trip to the Johnson Space Center. My kids wanted to stay out playing under the Saturn V in the middle of the day. 98 degrees, 95% humidity, no shade, running after four kids.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Been the coolest summer I can remember actually. It's rained nearly every day in PC. I haven't had my sprinklers run one time since mid may. Not once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.