August In Fla Sucks, Change My Mind

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I once had an old lady refuse to let me over driving north on US1 from North Palm Beach. Generally not a big deal, but in this instance, it was a “right lane ends” merge into a bridge. After several seconds of speeding up only to be matched at every MPH, I caught her eyes and she was simply not budging. If that meant me running off into the intracoastal channel and to my near certain death, she was willing to live with that. Shame on me for not foreseeing the issue and being blocked in, but I was amazed at her stance. Apparently, canasta can’t wait.

Also, funny you mention the helicopter. That’s exactly how the CEO of FPL used to commute from his home Miami to the office in NPB. He may still, not sure.
FPL sold out to Duke Energy years ago.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can live anywhere I want........ I choose Florida.

Yes, I bithc about the heat and humidity but I also bithc when it's 80 Degrees on Dec. 20 and I'm in the pool.

Like many of you, I'm just a bithc!

TheMarylandGator

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2022
You live in / near paradise. Be grateful you don't have to endure Winter. Bane of my existence. And I only experience mild Winters. I'd take 105 degree heat index any day of the week over freezing wind and snow. Awful.

The weather is the least of your concerns in Florida.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So y'all can bytch and moan all you want. I worked the pole...every summer to make money to go to school...

iu

Alex.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
July 15-Sept 15 just brutal…lol… heat never bothered me to a few years ago. Wife’s stance is we vaycay for those two months. Relative who lives in g’ville called yesterday to say “We made the most humid city in America” list :pumper:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Story time but my experience this summer is like Durty's. About average and plenty of rain so havent had to water. Hell, we had 66 degree morning a few days ago. But someone said it was nastier here in NCF with no breeze. This summer we have had breezes almost the entire time. All through June and July and even a few in Aug.
I grew up in this area (67 yrs worth) and worked in the heat as a kid, practiced football in Aug in HS and my entire career outside with Fla heat. We had no AC growing up. You sucked it up, looked for shade, drank bellywash, whatever it took. I still use the heat for a wkout when I mow. I do remember oppresive summers when it didnt rain for over a month but while heat waves seem to hammer the north we have just been having average summers.......
I will say when the began starting school early in Aug. the last 20 yrs of my career it took some adjusting to.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Story time but my experience this summer is like Durty's. About average and plenty of rain so havent had to water. Hell, we had 66 degree morning a few days ago. But someone said it was nastier here in NCF with no breeze. This summer we have had breezes almost the entire time. All through June and July and even a few in Aug.
I grew up in this area (67 yrs worth) and worked in the heat as a kid, practiced football in Aug in HS and my entire career outside with Fla heat. We had no AC growing up. You sucked it up, looked for shade, drank bellywash, whatever it took. I still use the heat for a wkout when I mow. I do remember oppresive summers when it didnt rain for over a month but while heat waves seem to hammer the north we have just been having average summers.......
I will say when the began starting school early in Aug. the last 20 yrs of my career it took some adjusting to.

I agree. Not sure I’ve seen much breeze in Gville this summer, but outside of June(which was dreadful) it hasn’t been all that bad. At least not the every day rainy midday. That gets old.

But I totally agree on using the heat to workout. I’ve always said that if you’re prepared to, even wanting to, sweat, the heat can actually be nice. Sweating is good for you. Now, being in a suit in with clients in mid-90s and trying to keep composure, different story. But if I’m in gym clothes and wanting to sweat, the weather(north or south FL) is more than accommodating. At least in Alachua and up you do see a nice change in temps, even some really cold days to give you a relief. I love the PB area and consider it home. But the constant heat gets old.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I’ll never forget my 9am summer school class wayyyy across campus from my apartment on Archer. I had to walk down Museum Dr to get there. Wasn’t that the road with the “hill?” :lol: By the time I arrived for class I was soaked. I was so miserable that summer.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Been the coolest summer I can remember actually. It's rained nearly every day in PC. I haven't had my sprinklers run one time since mid may. Not once.

I am jealous.
The rain in Hogtown this summer has been very sporadic. We get pummeled for a couple of days and then go two weeks without a drop.
I am sure that it’s all because I still drive a car with a combustion engine.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
A good thing about August is it makes you appreciate October much more.........especially if the boys are winning in hogtown...........

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We just finished our sojourn about the Southeast Atlantic coast scouting out possible places to live. Oh and to meet my one year old great niece for the first time. Went to Charleston, Savannah, Jax, St. Augustine, St. Marys, Amelia Island, Jekyll Island and points in between. Walked all over Savannah and St. Augustine. The humidity was glorious. According to my wife, her hair was fuller and softer and her skin was smoother. Of course we trashed an outfit a day; in the high dry desert of New Mexico, you can wear the same shirt until the salt rings reach your waist with much odor. And we made full use of the hotel air conditioning. But even in August, the people we met and talked to in God's country were nicer, sweeter, more helpful, more respectful (I haven't heard "sir" used so much since I retired) and just more Southern than I remembered. I'll put up with the heat, humidity and bugs to be home.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We just finished our sojourn about the Southeast Atlantic coast scouting out possible places to live. Oh and to meet my one year old great niece for the first time. Went to Charleston, Savannah, Jax, St. Augustine, St. Marys, Amelia Island, Jekyll Island and points in between. Walked all over Savannah and St. Augustine. The humidity was glorious. According to my wife, her hair was fuller and softer and her skin was smoother. Of course we trashed an outfit a day; in the high dry desert of New Mexico, you can wear the same shirt until the salt rings reach your waist with much odor. And we made full use of the hotel air conditioning. But even in August, the people we met and talked to in God's country were nicer, sweeter, more helpful, more respectful (I haven't heard "sir" used so much since I retired) and just more Southern than I remembered. I'll put up with the heat, humidity and bugs to be home.

Did you find a place to call home?
We are looking along SC and NC probably. Just need to see what feels right.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Waaaay too many hurricanes and flooding on the Carolina coasts for me to ever consider buying a home there. Beautiful places nonetheless.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Did not find anywhere we couldn't live. We stayed in Walterboro for two nights. Sweet little town. Summerville was more our speed though. I think we decided if we are moving to be closer to family, we should be closer to Jax or Pcola. So, another scouting trip to North Florida. Maybe the Gulf Coast around Appalaicola. Oh, if Savannah weren't in Georgia it would be a winner. Nice folks.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Waaaay too many hurricanes and flooding on the Carolina coasts for me to ever consider buying a home there. Beautiful places nonetheless.
I was even thinking some of the lakes in SC. There are a few very nice ones but need to see them for ourselves.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
August sucks.

It’s so damn hot: all you can really do is move from one air conditioned spot to another. If you leave your car parked outside for more than an hour, the interior is hotter than Hades.

Im lucky to have a pool, but in August it magically turns into a bath tub with close to 90 degree water.

Oh, you found something you like to do outside: it’s going to rain at 2:00. Guaranteed. And, when it’s done raining the heat evaporates the water and the humidity hits close to 100%. Makes yard work fun.

So, you’re stuck inside, let’s watch some sports. Nope: football’s a month away, and Baseball sucks and it’s too early for the pennant race. No Golf either.

Electric Bill’s an extra $100/month.

August sucks.
Agree about everything except baseball.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
FPL sold out to Duke Energy years ago.

I thought FPL was now a part of NextEra energy. I think Duke is a different company. Perhaps FPL sold some areas to Duke years ago more north?

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought FPL was now a part of NextEra energy. I think Duke is a different company. Perhaps FPL sold some areas to Duke years ago more north?
You are right.... Florida Power (Progress Power) sold to Duke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb