Authorities: Father Suspected Of Killing Two Young Sons, Including UF Batboy, Self

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
A father was suspected of killing his two young sons early Tuesday – including an 11-year-old who was regularly the batboy for the No. 10-ranked University of Florida baseball team – then killing himself before setting on fire his family’s waterfront vacation home in nearby Cross City, authorities said.

The Dixie County Sheriff’s Office was still at the scene of the burned luxury home Tuesday along the shore of the Suwannee River in western Florida, spokeswoman Shannon Valentine said. She confirmed the deaths and said later Tuesday that the case had been turned over to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Paul Otto Reinhart, 46, of Gainesville had recently lost his job as president at Reinhart Medical LLC, a medical device sales company, and was in the early stages of a divorce from his wife, Mindee Prince Reinhart, 42, also of Gainesville, according to friends of the couple. Minde Reinhart was listed on corporation records as vice president for the company.

The children were Brody, 11, and Rex, 14, both avid youth baseball players. The family was friends with Florida Coach Kevin “Sully” O’Sullivan, and Brody was regularly the batboy at Florida home games, friends said. The University Athletic Association declined to immediately comment.

Authorities: Father Suspected Of Killing Two Young Sons, Including UF Batboy, Self Then Burning Vacation Home - WUFT News

What a tragedy. I can’t imagine how the mother of this family is feeling.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Awful. My son knew the youngest. Supposedly both great kids. I can’t even begin to imagine what that family is going through right now.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Never, never should happen. Was there no belief in Godliness, no concept of Heaven.?
The father was missing a decent support system.? Church friends.? Wife friend.?
These children deserved joy, not this.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
People who take their own life are selfish for putting their own feelings above others, but you aren’t harming someone else other than emotionally.

To take the lives of two small boys, likely out of spite for the divorcing mother, is reprehensible. I can’t even imagine...

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
How a parent can even think of doing something like that to their own child is incomprehensible, much less carrying it out.
Prayers for the mother

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
How does President Reinhart lose his job at Reinhart Medical, LLC?

Was V.P. Reinhart's family money backing the business?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I saw a lot of pieces of schit when I was volunteering and working with the families where child abuse and neglect were happening... They are the scum of the motherfuching earth. I don't personally believe in hell, but if there is one... I hope this fuch tard gets a the worst of it. Fuch this ass hole.

Last edited:

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Good thing the Dems shut down the country with the Wuhan Flu. Deaths and suicides have skyrocketed. It’s been great for work and family environments.

HO-LY ****. Why do we have to continue playing this game. Why can't we just feel sad or bad about this situation and talk about it without scapegoating. I know that people are going to take this as a personal slight and turn this into a name-calling game but:

1. Suicide rates actually went down in 2020 overall in the US there was a slight decline at the beginning of the pandemic (or whatever you want to call it) before a slight increase. I admit that I haven't seen the new numbers in the last few months so maybe there has been a giant increase so please provide your source for the "skyrocketing" rates you are talking about (or stop spreading misinformation).

2. Regardless of if the suicide rates are "skyrocketing," this happened in Florida, a state that is run by Republicans. My personal opinion is that anyone blaming Republicans for this particular scenario would be reaching just as far as anybody blaming Democrats, because I think anybody taking a step back and thinking logically knows that all blame lies on this dude and his despicable actions, not on failed or successful policies.

And if it makes you feel any better (which it almost DEFINITELY won't, because some of you love being angry), I think it was pretty clear after about a few weeks of shutting places down that it wasn't going to work and most things should have been opened up after that failed attempt... So I don't even disagree that it is stupid that a lot of things are still shut down in some states.

This message brought to you by somebody who considers himself a moderate but around these parts is known as flaming communist libtard. Commence the namecalling.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
It was in the paper today. I wonder if that place is at Suwannee by the Gulf. Horrible story close to home. His life was over in his estimate so he kills to ,I guess ,get back at his ex.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'm a father of four of my own and we've fostered others, and it is difficult for me to get my head around anyone ever harming any child , let alone one that trusts them.

The only solid thing I can contribute here is that the family court system in my experience is totally broken. I will lump DCF in with that lot.

What follows is totally a guess, and we'll probably never know the truth, because we just don't have these types of discussions with honesty. It's easy boil down someone that does something this vile to a simple villain; it's much harder to talk about how factors we have some control over may have either enabled or encouraged such a terrible result.

Theory:

Huge amounts of the type of "leverage" I have seen applied to people in family disputes appear to have been applied here as well, with disastrous results. Whether this man did something to "deserve" it or not, in a short span he was:
1. Losing his marriage
2. Losing his income
3. Probably being relegated to every other weekend status with his own children.

None of this excuses this monstrous act - but if we are ever going to work to prevent such things for happening we have to work to understand how they happen beyond "this guy/woman is just the worst piece of **** to ever live." It is not this way in other parts of the world. If you've never heard of Divorce Corp, it may be some food for thought.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm a father of four of my own and we've fostered others, and it is difficult for me to get my head around anyone ever harming any child , let alone one that trusts them.

The only solid thing I can contribute here is that the family court system in my experience is totally broken. I will lump DCF in with that lot.

What follows is totally a guess, and we'll probably never know the truth, because we just don't have these types of discussions with honesty. It's easy boil down someone that does something this vile to a simple villain; it's much harder to talk about how factors we have some control over may have either enabled or encouraged such a terrible result.

Theory:

Huge amounts of the type of "leverage" I have seen applied to people in family disputes appear to have been applied here as well, with disastrous results. Whether this man did something to "deserve" it or not, in a short span he was:
1. Losing his marriage
2. Losing his income
3. Probably being relegated to every other weekend status with his own children.

None of this excuses this monstrous act - but if we are ever going to work to prevent such things for happening we have to work to understand how they happen beyond "this guy/woman is just the worst piece of **** to ever live." It is not this way in other parts of the world. If you've never heard of Divorce Corp, it may be some food for thought.

Kind of hard to for the DCF and Courts to fix something when the lawmakers put so much red tape in the way to fix. I've gotten to know a few people working for the service in this area, and when at UF got to know a few up there (due to an ex gf). Most DCF people are trying to do right, but without the resources to do so. I remember the officer who would come back while I was a custodial guardian, would ask if he could just sit down for a second because he is in hour 9 of a 14 hour day of visitations and we were the cleanest house he had been in. Or the number of times I sat in the court room listening to all the "check-ins" and having to hear what the kids in each of those cases went through. Is this the worst dude ever, no. Not even close. But he is a piece of schit.

No one is disagreeing with Divorce is hard and the system is usually set up against men, and this dude had a lot of schit happen.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
People who take their own life are selfish for putting their own feelings above others, but you aren’t harming someone else other than emotionally.

To take the lives of two small boys, likely out of spite for the divorcing mother, is reprehensible. I can’t even imagine...
Having seen a few suicides over the years and being aware of situations like this one (though I never had to personally deal with one like this) I have discovered that the folks who do this are rarely in their right minds at the time of the act. They are usually in a severe state of depression and have come to sincerely believe it was the only option and they were acting in their kids best interests. That of course makes absolutely no sense to any rational person nor is it any kind of excuse. Especially those of us who are parents and can't imagine harming our children.

Usually there is a whole lot going on in somebody's head and some catalyst (or combination of catalysts) like losing their job or marriage or their kids pushes them over the edge. It never makes it any easier to accept these horrible incidents, but it does make me hyper vigilant for any troubling signs from the people in my life. And I hope no thinks I think they are wrong for judging this guy and his actions. That's their call; I'm just kinda numb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.