Awesome naval battle footage

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I know we have a lot of military vets on here and I love you all but I came across this video recently and it's mesmerizing to me to say the least. I can't imagine being on a god damned boat with nowhere to run and trading rounds the half the size of small cars....Watch the final shot of this actual video and the other British ship hauling ass away..kinda says it all...HMS Hood gets pummeled by the first couple of rounds and then hammered into oblivion in less than 3 minutes by the Bismarck's huge guns and no one is giving a single f vck about doing this in 10 foot seas as the footage from a German battle ship next to the Bismark shows...
Learning-History: Bismarck vs Hood the real footage - YouTube

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

Probably a good thing the Bismarck was sunk when it was instead of later or the war probably would have went on longer than it did. That MFer would have brought the supply chain to a dead stop...Funny that the Brits take credit for sinking it because I think just about every Allied plane and ship was involved.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Probably a good thing the Bismarck was sunk when it was instead of later or the war probably would have went on longer than it did. That MFer would have brought the supply chain to a dead stop...Funny that the Brits take credit for sinking it because I think just about every Allied plane and ship was involved.
Outside of one Polish destroyer, the other ships and aircraft that actually took part in the combat against the Bismarck were all British, at least form everything I ever read. What other Allies are you referring to?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Outside of one Polish destroyer, the other ships and aircraft that actually took part in the combat against the Bismarck were all British, at least form everything I ever read. What other Allies are you referring to?
Pretty sure there were Allied ships and planes searching and it was an American pilot that spotted Bismarck...

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was spotted by an American Ensign observer flying on a British Catalina. All of this happened i late May 1941, Over 6 months before the US entered the war.....Dec 7, 1941, when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Pretty sure there were Allied ships and planes searching and it was an American pilot that spotted Bismarck...
There were some neutrals like Sweden that spotted her and reported back (and the host govt.s shared with the Brits) and, as you note, a US pilot, but other than one Polish destroyer, the Brits did all the shooting (and receiving). There really were no other Allied ships that could have helped. (The battle was prior to US entry into the war, and while we were more or less at war with German subs by then, surface ships not attacking us or a convoy were pretty much off limits.) On this one, I think the Brits deserve the credit they claim. I see it as like a goal in hockey. Sure, some others get assists, but the Brits scored the goal.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was spotted by an American Ensign observer flying on a British Catalina. All of this happened i late May 1941, Over 6 months before the US entered the war.....Dec 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor.
In mid-morning a Coastal Command Catalina reconnaissance aircraft from 209 Squadron RAF had flown over the Atlantic from its base on Lough Erne in Northern Ireland across the Donegal Corridor.[8] It was piloted by British Flying Officer Dennis Briggs[9] and co-piloted by US Navy observer Ensign Leonard B. Smith, USNR Smith was at the controls when he spotted Bismarck

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Wouldn't have extended the war a single day.

The Kreigsmarine wasn't in the same class as the Royal Navy.

The Bismarck may have been a match for any British battleship in 1941 in on-on-one combat, but the Germans only had two battleships (Bismarck and her sister Tirpitz). The Brits had many battleships.

The Bismarck had four turrets with two 15" guns each (total of 8 guns). Older British battleships (dating back to the early 20s) were armed with 9 16" guns. Bore isn't everything, firepower includes the weight of the shell, the muzzle velocity, and the fire control systems; however, the point is the British had lots of ships that could go toe-to-toe with the Bismarck and the Tirpitz. Bismarck had good guns and great fire control, but she didn't outclass everything else out there. I'll so so far as to say the US Navy's North Carolina Class commissioned before Pearl Harbor (with 9 excellent 16" guns and great fire control) were clearly superior to the Bismarck class. The Germans didn't have a whole lot of experience building battleships. Their guns and engines and radar were good, but their naval architecture wasn't great. Anti-aircraft armament was lacking and it was slow-flying obsolete Swordfish biplanes that drew first blood on Bismarck by jamming her rudder. Even with a jammed rudder, a well-designed battleship should be able to steer a little using her propellers. Bismarck couldn't. After that torpedo hit, all she could do was go in a big circle. That's two major design fails.

Not only did the British have lots more battleships, they had aircraft carriers (the Germans had none) and they had bases and logistics ships the Germans lacked. That obsolete biplane was launched from a British carrier.

Bismarck became famous for blowing up the Hood. The Hood wasn't a real battleship. She was a battlecruiser. That means she was armed like a battleship but armored like a cruiser. The concept was that you could run away from anything that could match your guns and outgun anything that could catch you. In the interwar years, Hood's armor belt at the waterline was upgraded, but they never got around to upgrading the deck armor making Hood vulnerable to plunging fire.

In the battle, the Hood initially mistook the smaller Prinz Eugen for Bismarck and focused their fire on her leaving the Bismarck unmolested for a time. By the time Hood figured out which German ship was which, Bismarck had the range. Looks like Hood tried closing with Bismarck, hoping to avoid the plunging fire but a lucky shot (and we don't really know if that lucky shot actually came from Bismarck or Prinz Eugen) penetrated the thin decks of Hood and set off an explosion in one of her powder magazines. It was a little like the bomb that destroyed the Arizona at Pearl Harbor. Only 3 of Hood's compliment survived.

Bismarck (steaming in a big circle) was caught by the Royal Navy battleships Rodney (9 16" guns) and the newer George V (10 14" guns) and pummeled to death.

As for Bismarck's sister, the Tirpitz, did she bring the supply chain to a dead stop? Nah. She hid. She spent most of the war in a Norwegian fiord under camouflage netting surrounded by torpedo nets until she was sunk by the RAF.

The Germans would have been far better off building more submarines instead of Bismarck and Tirpitz. At the time, Hitler was given a choice. Build a powerful surface fleet that could challenge the likes of Britain and France (but that would take a long time and cost a lot of money) or focus on submarines. Hitler didn't think war with Britain was imminent so he chose the powerful surface fleet option. War came before that fleet could be built. One of the interesting "what ifs" of WWII is what if Germany had chosen to focus on subs and had more and better subs available at the beginning of WWII?

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yet in an equal battle it sank what was considered the greatest warship on the planet....in less than 3 minutes....that last shot though.....

Hood??? You think Hood was the greatest warship on the planet???

We just went over explaining that Hood (a sleek and beautiful vessel) wasn't even a true battleship. She was a battlecruiser.

:facepalm:

And like I said, we're not even 100% sure the shot that killed Hood came from Bismarck.

Let this one go, Crete. You ain't gonna win.

Alex.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As Alex said, the plunging fire from the Bismark hit one of the Hood's magazines causing the ship to literally explode. The Bismark took a number of blows from both cannon and torpedo but it's armor design included both belt and deck whereas the armor design for the Hood was focused on belt due to the ship's length. Both ships were equipped with 15 inchers, but due to the Hood having to concern itself with raining fire on it's deck, it had to get inside, like a fighter. This meant it could only bring it's two forward batteries to bear on the Bismark. The Bismark was able to position itself to deliver all four platforms from a broadside stance. Deadly.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hood??? You think Hood was the greatest warship on the planet???

We just went over explaining that Hood (a sleek and beautiful vessel) wasn't even a true battleship. She was a battlecruiser.

:facepalm:

And like I said, we're not even 100% sure the shot that killed Hood came from Bismarck.

Let this one go, Crete. You ain't gonna win.

Alex.
Jesus Christ man just piss all over my parade...…
I see the Bismarck cannon go boom..... probably 5-6 seconds later the Hood goes baboom!!! They were 11 or so miles apart so the trajectory of the shot ripped through Hood's deck instead of the hullside….but yes both German ships hit the Hood....

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Jesus Christ man just piss all over my parade...…
I see the Bismarck cannon go boom..... probably 5-6 seconds later the Hood goes baboom!!! They were 11 or so miles apart so the trajectory of the shot ripped through Hood's deck instead of the hullside….but yes both German ships hit the Hood....
The Bismarck shoulda had breacher tips on the end of it's barrels! ;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Bismarck shoulda had breacher tips on the end of it's barrels! ;)
If I had a battleship with breacher tips, I'd walk around my house practice breaching my own doors! It would HAVE to be easier than doing it with a 12g.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator