Back when men were men

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is hilarious-some of the drivers pull into the pit with a Camel hanging out of their mouth

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I was mesmerized by the old cars. Now I know why it was so popular and why its not so much now. Cars looked like cars and you could tell which was which. Now they all look like exact duplicates and rolling billboards.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I was mesmerized by the old cars. Now I know why it was so popular and why its not so much now. Cars looked like cars and you could tell which was which. Now they all look like exact duplicates and rolling billboards.

And more and more rules all designed for 'equality' instead of race what ya brung. Only one race at Darlington. No races at Rockingham. More races at boring cookie cutter 1.5 mile ovals.

Brian France is a douchebag who has killed the sport.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I love how 3 guys get killed and they shrug it off and keep racing. :lol:

BTW, that was Howard Cosell narrating in a way only he could...."Lee Petty takes up a paternal position behind his son......"

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember seeing this. This is when I used to watch NASCAR

I haven't watched a nascar race since probably '70 or '71 when The Mistake and I went to Daytona and I got drunk and jumped off the top of my car to get another beer. We were parked in the infield at first turn. My foot caught the corner of the window frame of the door which was ajar and on the way down gashed my thigh pretty good on said window frame. I was bleeding like the drunk pig that I was and they actually sent an ambulance over to take me to the infield infirmary where I got about 6 stitches. I had to hobble back to the car alone missing almost the entire race. She had to drive home to Jax running her mouth the entire 90 miles with absolutely no regard for my discomfort.

I love how 3 guys get killed and they shrug it off and and keep racing. :lol:

BTW, that was Howard Cosell narrating in a way only he could...."Lee Petty talks up a paternal position behind his son......"

I noticed that, no regard whatsoever. I wonder if the "safety crew" swept them off the track like an old crumpled bumper. What I like about the older films is the obvious dubbing of screeching tires.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Fireball Roberts - Wikipedia

Never been a NASCAR fan, but I like seeing some of the vintage footage of the races and the pageantry like in the video posted by Cooter. I wonder how many know that Fireball Roberts attended the University of Florida and raced on the weekends? He got the name Fireball because as a pitcher for the Zellwood Mud Hens, an American Legion team out of Apopka, he was known for his mean fastball or so the story goes. He died in a fiery crash back in 1964 at the Charlotte Speedway. Such is the stuff of legends.

FireballRobertsFord_02_1000.jpg

Fireball Robert's '57 Ford

Last edited:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Fireball Roberts - Wikipedia

Never been a NASCAR fan, but I like seeing some of the vintage footage of the races and the pageantry like in the video posted by Cooter. I wonder how many know that Fireball Roberts attended the University of Florida and raced on the weekends? He got the name Fireball because as a pitcher for the Zellwood Mud Hens, an American Legion team out of Apopka, he was known for his mean fastball or so the story goes. He died in a fiery crash back in 194 at the Charlotte Speedway. Such is the stuff of legends.
Good stuff Okee. What I do know is he was fearless behind the wheel..

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
New+Gator+Speedway+ad+from+1971___.jpg

Jan_+1971+story+on+the+death+of+Herb+Spivey___.jpg

I used to know two men that raced the dirt track here in Jacksonville; Wild Willy Carter managed a slot car track in Arlngton and used to tell racing stories, and Piggie Bennett. I went to school with Piggie's sons.
Jacksonville Area Race Tracks <----7 pages of pictures-some well known racers in action including both Yarborough brothers, Tiny Lund ('63 Daytona 500 winner), Fireball Roberts ("62 Daytona 500 winner), David Ezell, Speedy Spiers, Joie Chitwood,Curtis Turner (Daytona Pole Winner, Banned for Life by Bill France) Richard Petty

Wild Willy Carter in 1963
Willie+Carter+in+1963.jpg

Piggie Bennett in #86
Jacksonville+Speedway+1957+-+Piggy+Bennett+leading+Weldon+Adams+and+Larry+Flynn___.jpg

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
This right here is some badass schit. The turtle people would be having a stroke.

Cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Comments - 257 mph on the beach?!! The pits for that race was on the beach side. Oil and gas everywhere no doubt. I love the added sound effects to the video. One car was squealing tires turning left in the sand. LOL Can you imagine the sand in the cars and on the drivers after this race?

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Dayum!
:headslap:

In 1931, Campbell took a new and improved Bluebird to Daytona Beach, Florida, and set his fifth land-speed record: 246.088 mph. That year, he was knighted by King George V for his achievements.

Sir Malcolm went on to set three more consecutive land-speed records at Daytona Beach:
- 253.968 mph in 1932
- 272.465 mph in 1933, and
- 276.710 mph in early 1935.

Seeking a surface fast enough to propel him over the 300-mph mark, Campbell took Bluebird to the searing Bonneville Salt Flats of Utah, where the very level, smooth flats are as solid as concrete by summer’s end. On September 3, 1935, he set a new record of 301.129 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator