Backup QB is Treon Harris

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator said:
sonomagator;n35197 said:
Per Zach's twitter feed "Coach WM stated that Treon Harris got the nod for #2 Qb because of what he can do in short yardage and red zone situations". Sounds like sound reasoning for the move.

Nope.. TRex stated that Grier was better and Muschamp is stupid to do this. There can be no sound reasoning....
It is a simple question..Grier wanted a redshirt and he is our super 5 star recruit with a 6 month jump on Harris. Sorry I thought it was odd that a guy who just stepped on campus beat him out for the number two slot. Call me crazy.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
By all accounts, Harris really came on in the later practices once he started getting more comfortable with the offense and playbook. If Harris and Grier are indeed even and have little separation, then it makes sense to redshirt Grier. Grier is seen more as the guy who could benefit physically from another year of adding weight, getting stronger, etc.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator said:
sonomagator;n35197 said:
Per Zach's twitter feed "Coach WM stated that Treon Harris got the nod for #2 Qb because of what he can do in short yardage and red zone situations". Sounds like sound reasoning for the move.

Nope.. TRex stated that Grier was better and Muschamp is stupid to do this. There can be no sound reasoning....
You're crazy.

:thenotgaywink:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator said:
sonomagator;n35197 said:

;)

Thomas Goldkamp

Jul 18, 2014
Captain Sasquatch said:
T REX;n35068 said:
Interesting...either Harris is better or our coach is trying to sneak Grier an extra year. JD hasn't finished a season yet. Stupid crap as usual.

Redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, so it doesn't matter what happens right now. He could say Grier is redshirting and put it on a billboard, but he won't if Driskel gets hurt. Come on, people, learn how the system works.
It's four games in the first half of the season (six games). So to qualify for a medical redshirt you must play in NO MORE THAN 4 games within the first six games of the season.

Thomas Goldkamp

Jul 18, 2014
Captain Sasquatch said:
T REX;n35068 said:
Interesting...either Harris is better or our coach is trying to sneak Grier an extra year. JD hasn't finished a season yet. Stupid crap as usual.

Redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, so it doesn't matter what happens right now. He could say Grier is redshirting and put it on a billboard, but he won't if Driskel gets hurt. Come on, people, learn how the system works.
I'm not really sure why I ALL-CAPSd that part.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Captain Sasquatch said:
TheDouglas78;n35081 said:
It is true that redshirts aren't handed out until the end of the year, doesn't mean that the staff might not have their mind already made on which players are being planned to redshirt or not.

They very well could, and I'm sure they have some type of plan in place regardless of what they say. The point is, they won't just leave Grier on the shelf if they need him. They aren't bound to any plan they have right now, so they can burn his redshirt if they need to.
Jesus Christ Rex have you EVER been positive? You are stretching to realms of unbelievability.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
sonomagator;n35197 said:
I'm ok with this but I'm also not ok with this. In red zone and short yardage situations I do not want our green freshman qb coming in, in place of our 4th year junior bowling ball qb. Makes zero sense.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Slevin said:
sonomagator;n35197 said:
I'm ok with this but I'm also not ok with this. In red zone and short yardage situations I do not want our green freshman qb coming in, in place of our 4th year junior bowling ball qb. Makes zero sense.
I think WM was saying he is better than Will at red zone and short yardage plays, not that he will be our QB all the time for those situations.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like this could be. Like that. Bell guy for Oklahoma he was the back up for Landry and came in as a situational guy then later on him and knight competed for the starting spot.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
T REX;n35068 said:

Because you really wanted to say that? :dunno:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This was expected from the beginning of the year. The BIG news is that Poole is starting over JC, Tabor, Dawson, and Quincy.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Slevin said:
sonomagator;n35197 said:
Yeah maybe. I'm really over the trey burton qb packages though.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
This was expected from the beginning of the year. The BIG news is that Poole is starting over JC, Tabor, Dawson, and Quincy.
That's the battle I was most curious about.it makes sense to go with the older to start with

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Slevin said:
sonomagator;n35197 said:
Oh please no more of that!!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Makes perfect sense to me. If the coaches are confident Harris has the playbook and speed down well enough to be the #2 guy, that frees up Grier to "potentially" redshirt and save a year of eligibility. He is the future of the UF offense after all.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Slevin said:
sonomagator;n35197 said:
I agree with Slevin. I hope the idea isn't to put Harris in every time they get to the red zone. :headshake:

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are several angles to this.

Biggest being Grier went through spring camp, summer with the player ran practices and now the fall, Harris shows up for the fall practice and if there was negligible separation between them that would mean that Harris from having a higher level of competition in HS is a gamer, picked up the system quick and in a short time was able to get the offense moving and/or Grier could be another Driskel, 5 star, highly rated, but from playing inferior competition the ranking could be very suspicious. I do think that Grier will do better than Driskel. Throwing Driskel in as freshman against SEC defense with a bad Oline might have scarred him for life. Letting Grier redshirt and have a better Oline next year could prevent another scenario such as that.

The other being packages that they developed for the backup QB. The packages they have for Harris are a better change of pace and fit his skill set better than what they had setup for Grier

I do hope they don't to do the stupid Burton wildcat BS in the redzone, guaranteed loss of yard..

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator said:
sonomagator;n35197 said:

Harris also played 4 years of HS in a very similar system so I would think it would be that much easier to pick up.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
T REX said:
I bet Harris has better running similar to Jeff and since there was little separation in throwing having a back up similar to the starter is an advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.