Bad news for Nick Smith

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@onlygators: Florida #Gators LB Nick Smith has announced his retirement due to a neck injury. He was a part of the Class of 2017.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Terrible news.

Not to be calous, but was he one of the ones that was mentioned in the “players to process out” thread? I can’t seen to find that thread again.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
He deserves all the support that the program, the school, and we supporters can give him. I hope he will eventually discover that he has not let down anybody considering the risks. If I thought it would be positive I would personally tell him this.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Terrible news.

Not to be calous, but was he one of the ones that was mentioned in the “players to process out” thread? I can’t seen to find that thread again.
It was in the 2019 recruiting thread. Started around post 11750.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
really devastating news for the young man. hopefully he's able to focus on his education and be successful

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Well, it's terrible for him but a blessing that if it had to happen it happened at this school where we actually care about these guys' well-being. He'll still be part of the team and get a free education.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, it's terrible for him but a blessing that if it had to happen it happened at this school where we actually care about these guys' well-being. He'll still be part of the team and get a free education.
Yes, we care about getting below 85.

No, just kidding. It is cool that they offer him the medical so his money continues. It beats just kicking the fourth teamers to the curb.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
If he can't play, he can't play. Spinal injuries are no joke, and UF has a history of doing the right thing by guys who simply can't go on. The donkey was not being callous, he was stating the obvious. There are a number of guys who are healthy as a horse, they just aren't SEC caliber players. Boophukking hoo - neither am I. If the sky opened up and a scholie to play FB at UF fell on my doorstep, I'd return it unsigned, along with a recommendation for a very good Psych Dr. for the idiot who was crazy enough send it to me.

We all know the ID of the mental deficient responsible for bringing in all that barely top 1000 dead wood, that is clogging the path for the 3-4 real prospects that DM is trying so hard to bring home on NSD. Taking care of an injured kid is not charity, it's the right thing to do. Diluting the talent pool by not "pruning" the dead branches isn't charity either, it's stupid. If they can't play here, let them go someplace where they can.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And now he gets to receive a degree from the University of Florida and possibly get a head start on a coaching career.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Great message by Nick. It’s a reminder how much being a Gator means to these kids. I’m glad that still has so much meaning to them. Heartbreaking story but sounds like a kid who will find his way. Wishing him well and blessings on his journey.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
At least he will be able to walk away from football.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nick, you have nothing to be sorry for, young man. Get out there and make your friends, your brothers and your family proud of the next chapter in your life. Don’t let them down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb