Bart Starr dead at age 85

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
The Ice Bowl...What a memory...Became a Gator/SOS-GB/Starr fan in '66 because they both had the coolest colored (no offense) uniforms, respectively...watched the game enthralled in B&W, on the floor, Indian-style, 6 inches from the screen. When the timeout was called, I ran into the bathroom, sat on the toilet, stuck my fingers in my ears and repeated, "ooga booga sooga tooga" over and over, too pussified to watch/hear The Most Famous Sneak of All Time. My dad yelled loud enough so I knew all was happy happy joy joy and safe to come out of the head.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Shouldn't be allowed to happen. Finest gone as life goes on. RIP.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The Ice Bowl...What a memory...Became a Gator/SOS-GB/Starr fan in '66 because they both had the coolest colored (no offense) uniforms, respectively...watched the game enthralled in B&W, on the floor, Indian-style, 6 inches from the screen. When the timeout was called, I ran into the bathroom, sat on the toilet, stuck my fingers in my ears and repeated, "ooga booga sooga tooga" over and over, too pussified to watch/hear The Most Famous Sneak of All Time. My dad yelled loud enough so I knew all was happy happy joy joy and safe to come out of the head.

I was a Johnny U and Lenny Moore fan. But loved the Kramer book about that team. Probably the greatest NFL coach of all time.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The only pro quarterback I followed until Roger the dodger. A southern gentleman of the first order. Vaya con Dios, Bart Starr.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Just that name Bart Starr. Perfect name for a QB. Like Roman Gabriel or Sonny Jurgensen or Joe Willie Namath.
Johnny Unitas. Joe Montana,

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Rest in Peace Bart. Packer Nation is grieving. I'm glad he got back to Lambeau a few years ago to see the house he and Vince built.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I watched him play. He wasn't flashy. What he was, was intelligent, focused and very tough. Lombardi let him call the plays. More often than not, his plays were good.

A great, great quarterback, leader of those great Packers teams of the '60s. RIP.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great name!
I was a Packers fan when I was younger because of him.
RIP

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
When Football was Football...You knew all the players...You knew the rules...You could be traded for having a smart mouth.

He'll be missed.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was a Johnny U and Lenny Moore fan. But loved the Kramer book about that team. Probably the greatest NFL coach of all time.

I enjoyed that book as well.

If you really want an inside look at the Lombardi dynasty, read "When Pride Still Mattered" by David Maraniss. I have read it three times now and I plan to read it again and again.......

I was not a packers fan back then either but I had nothing but respect for them and their accomplishments. The NFL was a COMPLETELY different animal back then.....I miss it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
If you really want an inside look at the Lombardi dynasty, read "When Pride Still Mattered" by David Maraniss. I have read it three times now and I plan to read it again and again.......
THanks for that tip. Im gonna go online to my library and get it right now. The last Johnny Unitas book was outstanding, too. He was a badazzz. He said back then they could hit the QB on every play. I had never heard of that book. I read a Lombardi biography that was pretty good.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
True grit. I project this image into the now and imagine injury lawyers jumping off billboards.
Yes, that's blood dripping down YA's bald head.

f2c19b48cfec7a4c85d828d557d7fddf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator