Baseball question

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Watching the MSU vs ND game. Batter hits a hard grounder off the infield grass (first bounce in fair territory) and passes third base in fair territory (third baseman almost touches ball two feet in fair territory while almost on outfield grass). The ball's second bounce is in the outfield and in foul territory. Fair or foul?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Ruled foul and reviewed and confirmed foul. Did anyone else see it? Unless I missed it and thought a line drive had bounced. Anyone that sees it on highlights, please let me know.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
giphy-1.gif

If MSU batting that's a fair ball in Starkville; foul in South Bend.

If ND batting then fair ball in South Bend; foul in Starkville.

Last edited:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The foul lines and foul poles are used to demarcate fair territory and, thus, determine what constitutes a foul ball.

Any batted ball that first contacts a fielder while the ball is in foul territory is considered foul. If not touched by a fielder in fair territory, any batted ball that first contacts the field in foul territory beyond first or third base -- with the foul lines and foul poles counting as fair territory -- is considered foul. Batted balls that first contact the field between home plate and first or third base are considered foul if they don't subsequently bounce over or directly contact either base, otherwise pass either base while in fair territory, or ultimately settle at some point in fair territory between home plate and either base.

Batted balls that leave the park on a fly to the left of the left-field foul pole or to the right of the right-field foul pole -- without striking the pole in either case -- are considered foul.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Watching the MSU vs ND game. Batter hits a hard grounder off the infield grass (first bounce in fair territory) and passes third base in fair territory (third baseman almost touches ball two feet in fair territory while almost on outfield grass). The ball's second bounce is in the outfield and in foul territory. Fair or foul?

Just like the bear sh!tting in the woods...who cares...its baseball...its boring.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Just like the bear sh!tting in the woods...who cares...its baseball...its boring.

So why open a thread on baseball if you don't care about baseball? Just to be a butthole? There is nothing more boring and tedious than showing your buttholiness for pure self-gratification. It really does not have a point at all.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
200.gif

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Say the ball first strikes the ground 4 ft. short of third and 3 inches in fair territory, and next strkes the ground 6 ft past third but 3 inches foul, the umpire has to determine where the ball was when it passed over the base. Keeping in mind the line is in fair territory. If still confused, go to a youth game and ask. Everybody there is a umpire.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Say the ball first strikes the ground 4 ft. short of third and 3 inches in fair territory, and next strkes the ground 6 ft past third but 3 inches foul, the umpire has to determine where the ball was when it past over the base. Keeping in mind the line is in fair territory. If still confused, go to a youth game and ask. Everybody there is a umpire.
I was hoping someone saw the replay. If I saw it right, it goes down as the worst umpiring decision in recent history. It was frustrating because I had to mute the TV for a phone call and missed the discussion.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Baseball people are so grumpy:

By posting, did he violate one of the 1,000,000 “unwritten rules” of baseball, thereby permitting you to throw a fastball at his crotch?
When I throw at them, I throw at the point of the forward shoulder. They duck into it and take a fastball to the temple. Thins out the competition.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So why open a thread on baseball if you don't care about baseball?
We are just here to object that the old man frim Mussippi, who has steadily been losing his faculties, seemed compelled to post a thread about Cowbell baseball on a Gator board.

All obiections are germane.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So why open a thread on baseball if you don't care about baseball? Just to be a butthole? There is nothing more boring and tedious than showing your buttholiness for pure self-gratification. It really does not have a point at all.
I must admit Bulla has always been one of the most angry pumpers!!!! Consistency.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
We are just here to object that the old man frim Mussippi, who has steadily been losing his faculties, seemed compelled to post a thread about Cowbell baseball on a Gator board.

Its a baseball thing ~ you wouldn't understand

I must admit Bulla has always been one of the most angry pumpers!!!! Consistency.

:goon: get off my lawn!!

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

True enough; I am losing my faculties. I wonder if age is decreasing mine as fast as alcohol is decreasing yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb