Baseball trade deadline - Should the Rays sell Price/Zobrist?

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A bit off-topic for the typical chatter here, but what do you think will happen with tomorrow's trade deadline in MLB? Should the Rays trade Price/Zobrist/Joyce, etc. despite their recent torrid pace?

Will the BloSox move Lester?

Do share thoughts and insights and "It's baseball, I don't care" is a fair answer.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Price stays...Rays in the thick of it

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle said:
What the Rays need to do is get the hell out of St. Pete.
What does it matter nobody's going to go to the games anyhow.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle said:
What the Rays need to do is get the hell out of St. Pete.
Agreed. I went Monday night to the Brewers game. It'd be much better in Tampa, no doubt.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Rays need to implode that BS stadium they call the Trop. It's a total piece of poop. Move to Tampa, or hell, even on the bay side of St. Pete, build a nice, REAL baseball stadium...and go from there.

Then, they need to quit b*tching and moaning about Big Papi flipping bats and making plays after they've beaned him in the back or thrown behind other Red Sox players.

Then, they need to get rid of those ridiculous cow bells that make it impossible to enjoy a game.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't marlin fans bitching about the stadium location and then finally they relocated and still nobody goes to the games. I don't see how this is any different.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n20767 said:
Wasn't marlin fans bitching about the stadium location and then finally they relocated and still nobody goes to the games. I don't see how this is any different.
At least the Marlins now play in a baseball park. That POS that's over in St. Pete is just awful. I don't care what team you cheer for...anyone that thinks the Rays should continue to play in that place is no fan of the game of baseball.

And we won't even get into the asinine decisions the Marlins management/owners make in regards to their players. I'm just hoping they keep Giancarlo for a long time.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Bucs fans show up when their team is good. Year in and year out, Madden has his tezm in contention with less. The more tickets, the more revenue, the better players. The Rays have been the best farm team for the rest of the mlb because they cant afford to keep the talent they find.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Don't think the Rays will be selling, which is foolish, because they won't keep this pace up. They only have one more year before Price becomes a free agent because his arbitration has run out, and the return for him now will be a lot higher than if they can't sign him long term after next season. Trade him for a big bat, they sure as hell need it.

And Tropicana Field is far and away, like the distance from here to Pluto, the worst baseball stadium in the majors. It doesn't even deserve to be a minor league ballpark.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Possibly but the team is far from the population concentration and there's no public transportation. I live in Lutz, FL. Feel free to look at a map and see how close that is to the Trop. I'd go to a lot more games if it was over here.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with the stadium comments. The Trop is a dump. They belong in Channelside near the hockey arena. While arguably a less popular sport, the Lightning draw well downtown and their owner is about to go on a Trump-like construction spree with all the property he owns adjacent to his arena.

Back to the point raised by this thread. Yes, the Rays have battled back and are back in contention. Still, they'd have to continue to win at an almost historic pace to get to 90 wins which would likely yield a road wildcard game - an extremely improbable path to a World Series berth.

Price's trade value will never be higher than it is over the next day. Do you take a handful of high value prospects and young major leaguers - essentially restock for another run beginning in, say in 2 years - or do you stand pat, keep him and hope the torrid pace continues?

The cold, shrewd part of me says deal him tomorrow - if they get a solid offer of young talent. The fan in me says they should keep him and not give up on the season.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree...this off-season you'll have MORE trading partners than just the contenders now. They'll trade Price to someone that will be able to afford him and what they want. Their choices are limited right now by the standings.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n20799 said:
I agree with the stadium comments. The Trop is a dump. They belong in Channelside near the hockey arena. While arguably a less popular sport, the Lightning draw well downtown and their owner is about to go on a Trump-like construction spree with all the property he owns adjacent to his arena.

Back to the point raised by this thread. Yes, the Rays have battled back and are back in contention. Still, they'd have to continue to win at an almost historic pace to get to 90 wins which would likely yield a road wildcard game - an extremely improbable path to a World Series berth.

Price's trade value will never be higher than it is over the next day. Do you take a handful of high value prospects and young major leaguers - essentially restock for another run beginning in, say in 2 years - or do you stand pat, keep him and hope the torrid pace continues?

The cold, shrewd part of me says deal him tomorrow - if they get a solid offer of young talent. The fan in me says they should keep him and not give up on the season.

Where are you going to find the space at Channelside? The logical location 27 years later remains the Feather Sound area.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[quote name=''78' timestamp='1406772433']
Gatorbreath;n20799 said:

Where are you going to find the space at Channelside? The logical location 27 years later remains the Feather Sound area. [/quote]The ConAgra site. I've read/heard they've agreed to relocate when there's use for that land. It would help fill that hole between downtown and Channelside.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[quote name=''78' timestamp='1406772433']
Gatorbreath;n20799 said:

Where are you going to find the space at Channelside? The logical location 27 years later remains the Feather Sound area. [/quote]My guess is that site would be too congested and too far east of the epicenter for the Rays' tastes. If I wanted an aesthetic location convenient to the majority of Tampa Bay, I'd be shopping the Feather Sound area.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It doesn't matter where they put it, as long as it's back on this side of the Bay. Nobody wants to drive all the way out to St. Pete to watch a baseball game in a landfill of a stadium.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n20890 said:
It doesn't matter where they put it, as long as it's back on this side of the Bay. Nobody wants to drive all the way out to St. Pete to watch a baseball game in a landfill of a stadium.
If the stadium was even close to as cool as the new Marlins stadium, I'd drive 30-45 minutes across the bay for it on a regular basis. I just refuse to drive over there for a sh*tty ballpark experience, way overpriced, nasty food options and way overpriced beer choices. It's ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.