Gator Baseball Baseball: UF vs. Kentucky

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I tend to selectively listen to announcers of any game, but I presume they got bored in a hurry after discussing why any sane coach or game manager would pull a pitcher who was pitching like Walter Johnson after 2 innings. only to put in a multitude of relievers who sport double digit ERA's. with that said I did find KP's take on the 3 potential 1st round pitching prospects (Singer, Kowar, Jelly (sp. I know)) whom he would select first. His answer was Kowar and I said the same thing last year of a choice btw. Singer Faedo and Kowar. I love that Kowar has a major league changeup and slider already. when he can control his fastball with movement (like Singer does now) I think he can be great. His control or lack thereof at times does bother me b/c he has a penchant for hitting guys. This is not a knock on the other 2, but I found that KP saying he liked Kowar the best, potential wise, was interesting.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Go Gators #1. Love looking at our box scores being 5-hits, 8-runs .... 4-hits 6-runs. = the value of the long ball.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good guys win 9-4 and take the series. Now time to get greedy and try to get out the broom. However I first just hope that Dyson pitches better than he has the past 3 weeks. Not much to say about this game other than Wil Dalton dominated the game with a 3 run triple to dead center and a 3 run homer off the left field fair/foul pole. Kowar throws 7 scoreless innings but had multiple runners on base in each of the first 4 innings. However he was able to overcome those walks or that defensive misplay by making the one big pitch each inning. He settled in nicely in innings 5-7. Kowar's only weakness tonite was too many 3 ball counts and falling behind hitters early. I mention that b/c Jelly loaded the bases in the 3rd inning with THREE walks before Dalton's triple. I highlight that b/c WALKS lead to big numbers. Solo HR;s seldom lead to big numbers. Butler came in to pitch the 8th and was awful with 2 walks, a hit batter and a double and Sully had to pull him and go to Byrne. Kowar to an extent and especially Butler struggled to consistently throw strikes with a big lead. Would rather see a team hit their way back into a game rather than giving them hope by walking batters. Would be nice to jump on UK early and give Dyson some confidence and get game 3!!!!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Game 3 = time for Schwarz HR. Make lots of contact. Leave those UK fans shaking their heads in acknowledgement that UF has nation's top team.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Good guys win 9-4 and take the series. Now time to get greedy and try to get out the broom. However I first just hope that Dyson pitches better than he has the past 3 weeks. Not much to say about this game other than Wil Dalton dominated the game with a 3 run triple to dead center and a 3 run homer off the left field fair/foul pole. Kowar throws 7 scoreless innings but had multiple runners on base in each of the first 4 innings. However he was able to overcome those walks or that defensive misplay by making the one big pitch each inning. He settled in nicely in innings 5-7. Kowar's only weakness tonite was too many 3 ball counts and falling behind hitters early. I mention that b/c Jelly loaded the bases in the 3rd inning with THREE walks before Dalton's triple. I highlight that b/c WALKS lead to big numbers. Solo HR;s seldom lead to big numbers. Butler came in to pitch the 8th and was awful with 2 walks, a hit batter and a double and Sully had to pull him and go to Byrne. Kowar to an extent and especially Butler struggled to consistently throw strikes with a big lead. Would rather see a team hit their way back into a game rather than giving them hope by walking batters. Would be nice to jump on UK early and give Dyson some confidence and get game 3!!!!!

Good input FF, enjoy your thoughts. Go Gators!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Two down one to go. I wonder how cold the players actually were, coach wore a decent coach and crossed his arms, pretty cold there.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Another total destruction of a top 10 team. Keep it going boys!

:chomp::chomp::chomp:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well, not sure what to make of the start of this game. After a long 1st inning KY leads 1-0, but we squandered an unbelievable opportunity. Liput doubled to lead off the game, Nelly walked and Indy was hit by pitch to load the bases and no outs. Dalton and JJ both struck out and Langworthy flew out and we score zippo with bases loaded and no outs. Dyson then promptly walks 2 of the first 3 hitters, then gives up a single on and 0-2 hanging curveball. KY scored on a groundout, then Dyson loaded the bases with another walk, before ending the inning with a flyout to the base of the wall in center. 3 walks in one inning, not good. Lots of action in 1st inning for it only to be 1-0. Not sure what the result will be , but it appears that Dyson will not last long which will make for his 4th poor start in a row. have to think Sully will give thought to replacing Dyson with either Mace or Leftwich as game 3 starter to see if Dyson can get straightened out.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
UK leads 2-0 after 2 innings and only a great play by Indy saved 2 runs to end the 2nd. A one out single followed by what else, another walk, then a single plated KY's 2nd run. Thru 2 innings Dyson is at 50 pitches and 4 walks!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well it appears even Sully's patience level was ZERO today as Dyson's day has ended with no outs in the 3rd inning. A leadoff double follow by a 2-0 count to the next hitter got Sully out of the dugout and a call to the bullpen for Leftwich. 2+ innings for Dyson, 4 walks, 2 runs, 54 pitches. I do not expect to see him in game 3 next Saturday.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
UK up 3-0 after 3 innings. a squeeze bunt plates the 3rd run. Given we could not score in the 1st inning and as bad as Dyson was, we are fortunate to only be down 3 at this stage.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
UK leads 3-1 after 5 innings. Gators get an unearned run in 5th. Hard to believe we are still in this game being that we have surrendered 5 walks and only have 1 hit. but it is baseball.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
UK 3-1 after 7 innings. Leftwich just completed his 5th inning of relief. Gators still in it but time for the rally caps!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
UK takes Game 3 by a score of 3-2. JJ's solo homer in the top of the 9th, only the 2nd hit of the game for us, cut the deficit to one run, but Langworthy grounded out to end it. Gators take the series against a good team so a good weekend all in all. Not scoring in the 1st with bases loaded and no outs kind of set the table I guess for a long day. Along with Dyson being terrible it was an uphill climb. Great day by the UK starter going 8 innings. Big props to Leftwich who threw 6 complete innings in relief on only 80 pitches and only 2 hits. did not overpower the Cats, but pitched to contact and let his defense help him. I expect to see Leftwish next Sat. against Auburn and perhaps we might see Dyson in relief this coming Tuesday nite again Mercer. Dyson needs a wake up call after being so good his first 3 starts this year!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.