Gator Basketball Basketball Offseason Thread - Scottie Lewis Returning

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Whites not even on the hotseat, not with Strickland at least. His undoing will be not putting these guys in the NBA and his recruiting falling way off, then he's gone. JMHO.

VirginiaGator

VA to RI to FL
Jul 9, 2014
I want to get very excited for the upcoming season as we look very good on paper. But, I just can't allow myself to with White as the head coach. Hopefully he takes the off season to really revamp the offense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He has to win next year or he is gone.
With the state of affairs? Don’t think you’ll see many schools across the country firing coaches the next couple of years.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I want to get very excited for the upcoming season as we look very good on paper. But, I just can't allow myself to with White as the head coach. Hopefully he takes the off season to really revamp the offense.

This. He’s the worst Xs and Os coach I have ever seen in my 30 years of watching college basketball. I have no hope his team will compete for any kind of title. He got lucky that one season. I never thought anyone could kill my love for gator basketball. He did it though.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm glad we're getting KJ back. If he was gonna leave early this was the year to do it. If he can become a consistent threat from the 3 point line , I think he could eventually play in the league. It would have to be the right situation. But I think he's a gonna be a solid 4 year guy.

I'll be curious to see what nembhard does. The scouts seemed to like him . I could see him as a alex Caruso type. Somebody that can run a teams 2nd unit or their gleague team. A fringe guy but one with some value. Obviously the lack of burst is gonna be the setback for him. I actually think his game may translate better at the next level. If nembhard returns, I expect on of either mann,glover or Appleby to transfer. Not enough minutes for 4 point guards.

I don't have real high Hope's for next year. For obvious reasons. But we're going to be freakishly athletic. Duruji, Johnson, lewis, Payne and both freshman are all long and have some bounce. If anything we should be able to impose our will athletically on some teams.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He has to win next year or he is gone.
Define win? I think he's safe as long as we make the tourney. I'm not trying to be a Mike white apologist. But it's hard to find a guy that can accumulate talent and get you in the tournament every year. I would want to make sure we were getting a sure fire proven winner. Not another mid major guy or a guy that's been fired already just for the sake of change.

If we barely make it in ,he's safe. That would be 5 years in a row if you count the bid we were gonna get. Granted , it was a very painful season and probably the biggest letdown of season for me ,ever. If we miss the tourney, all bets have to be off.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Appleby is more than capable of handing the PG position if Andrew bolts.
I'd prefer AN to stay, but if he doesn't I still think we're in good hands here.
Really the only question on the floor is the 5 spot with Omar and Jitoboh . It's not a bad
duo,but definitely the one position that isn't filled with proven consistency, especially
on the offensive end. KJ returning is great news.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Appleby is more than capable of handing the PG position if Andrew bolts.
I'd prefer AN to stay, but if he doesn't I still think we're in good hands here.
Really the only question on the floor is the 5 spot with Omar and Jitoboh . It's not a bad
duo,but definitely the one position that isn't filled with proven consistency, especially
on the offensive end. KJ returning is great news.
This. Appleby may be a better PG than Nembhard for White anyways. I kind of expect Nembhard not to return. If he does, we are 3 deep at every position. Lots of battles will make us better imo

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Define win? I think he's safe as long as we make the tourney. I'm not trying to be a Mike white apologist. But it's hard to find a guy that can accumulate talent and get you in the tournament every year. I would want to make sure we were getting a sure fire proven winner. Not another mid major guy or a guy that's been fired already just for the sake of change.

If we barely make it in ,he's safe. That would be 5 years in a row if you count the bid we were gonna get. Granted , it was a very painful season and probably the biggest letdown of season for me ,ever. If we miss the tourney, all bets have to be off.

Let me rephrase it a little. I think the seat will be hot if we have a disappointing season. Merely making the tourney may not be enough. But I am not a ME hater. Unlike many I think he has done fairly well developing these guys. I’d be up for a change if we could get a home run hire.

My issue with MW is mostly philosophical. I think he was the horses to consistently extend the defense and push the ball offensively. I’m not sure why he doesn’t.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
On the topic of CBB, anyone following the #1 recruit announcing he'll sign w/ the G-league instead of going to college?

Here's a tweet from Brad Beal:

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
On the topic of CBB, anyone following the #1 recruit announcing he'll sign w/ the G-league instead of going to college?

Here's a tweet from Brad Beal:

Green would have been the top pick in last year’s and this coming draft. Todd getting an offer says something. He isn’t an NBA ready player, Green is. If they want Todd, they will be going after other recruits.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah college basketball just got a lot more water down. We're not gonna see Kevin durants or zions in college anymore. I think it's a big blow for college basketball but maybe some of the cheating will die down . Some of these aau scumbags will start taking bribes from agents instead of college coaches.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Just saw that Todd's salary as the 13th ranked recruit is in the 250k range. If they are paying that for him, other will follow suit. This could be the end of the Duke's, UK's...ect.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw that Todd's salary as the 13th ranked recruit is in the 250k range. If they are paying that for him, other will follow suit. This could be the end of the Duke's, UK's...ect.
Not really. They'll just get the top guys that don't go pro

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Y'all are making good points because I keep nodding my head in agreement to each post, though they are pretty much saying the opposite thing. :lol:
Or maybe it's just me being in a good mood. Working from home has it's advantages. :bandit:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think this move is gonna be good for both parties. I think his games gonna translate better at the next level. And it will give us a chance to play faster

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I said he’s spent the last 2-3 off-seasons overseas playing basketball. He’s comfortable there. This is a good thing too. Maybe now Mann can play his natural position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator