Gator Basketball Basketball Offseason Thread - Scottie Lewis Returning

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We are now one over the scholly limit which means one of Nembhard or Mann are gone. Interesting.

Also, apparently the big man from Mich was a top 100 recruit and has some potential.

Also also, if Nembhard leaves, Appleby will be our starting PG no matter if Mann comes back or not.
Nembhard is 100% gone. You can only test the waters once

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Colin Castleton is top shelf. He is very balletic-athletic in his movements right to the rim. He is spirited. IMO, he will be a Gator Great before he's through. We need to "pound" the ball inside more than ever, never have we. :confused: Hope he plays right away unless corona jostles this season; if so let him sit out till 2021-22 normalcy. Michigan fed him the ball for inside dunks & layups. Will White allow that? Practice that?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Colin Castleton is top shelf. He is very balletic-athletic in his movements right to the rim. He is spirited. IMO, he will be a Gator Great before he's through. We need to "pound" the ball inside more than ever, never have we. :confused: Hope he plays right away unless corona jostles this season; if so let him sit out till 2021-22 normalcy. Michigan fed him the ball for inside dunks & layups. Will White allow that? Practice that?

Rog, love your posts and puns man, but there is zero evidence of Castleton’s two years of college and White’s years of coaching Florida suggest any of your predictions/hopes will come true.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not. Assuming you are serious, what in his game makes you think he will "be a Gator Great?"

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
We are now one over the scholly limit which means one of Nembhard or Mann are gone. Interesting.

Also, apparently the big man from Mich was a top 100 recruit and has some potential.

Also also, if Nembhard leaves, Appleby will be our starting PG no matter if Mann comes back or not.
Hopefully Tyree Appleby doesn't follow the "greatness" of our last PG named Appleby (Ryan).

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Mann obviously will not be drafted. I’m cynical enough to suggest that someone in his “camp” needs money and may be pushing him in that direction. Less cynically maybe he just wants the NBA assessment.

Mann came in overhyped. He was not ready but I definitely saw improvement as the season progressed. He will be a much better contributor this season.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
If Mann is that eager to leave he may sign with the G League or go overseas to Australia. Too bad Mike White won't go to the G League

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not. Assuming you are serious, what in his game makes you think he will "be a Gator Great?"

Zero sarcasm, max ignorance but in the short highlights, I watched he moved like a center that we have rarely had. How can videos of actual gameplay be deceiving? For my learning what gameplays did anyone see flaws in his style? I accept that I'm probably wrong. I didn't know what words to use so I was bothered calling him a Gator Great. Thanks a lot, now I too am suspicious of me. :confused:

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
If Mann is that eager to leave he may sign with the G League or go overseas to Australia. Too bad Mike White won't go to the G League
He was the first player to basically say he is staying and talk about next year and trying to get others to stay. Unless something changed dramatically he is just doing it for info and will be back. He was ecstatic Scottie was coming back

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Zero sarcasm, max ignorance but in the short highlights, I watched he moved like a center that we have rarely had. How can videos of actual gameplay be deceiving? For my learning what gameplays did anyone see flaws in his style? I accept that I'm probably wrong. I didn't know what words to use so I was bothered calling him a Gator Great. Thanks a lot, now I too am suspicious of me. :confused:

From the film, he hangs out at the three point line and does not post up much in the half court, presumably because he looks to be so weak in the legs (and upper body for that matter). While playing mostly outside the arc, he is fairly stagnant (a trait Mike White must definitely love), and when he does move, he is slow compared to other players. His low post moves in high school are like wily old-man veteran moves, meaning he has really slow feet on those moves and uses up and under type leverage for a guy taller than everyone. Oh, and for the most part, the nearly 7 footer plays predominantly under the rim when he does not have a running start. When he does get above the rim, which at 7 ft, he can, it is just not by much compared to truly athletic big guys. Combine all that potential with Mike White's desired pace, and I'm sure we are all set.

He had amazing HS stats because he was like Wilt Chamberlain and so much taller, while having a good skill set (he can dribble for a big guy and shoot).

Got to 2:35 of this video to see what I mean. He trails the play, jumps for a rebound and still catches the ball about a foot below the rim. Then, he can't immediately rejump much - ala Keontay Johnson's specialty - and lays it in from a foot below the rim. I don't expect a 7 footer to be as athletic as KJ, but there is a reason he got to college and could not make any impact (and Juwan Howard - another 7 footer - is letting him go) once he started playing against taller, stronger, faster competition.

Looking at him though, I'm sure he is a "heady player" who "defends with a lot of grit." A real "lunch-pail guy," who knows the defensive rotations the coaches want, almost like a "coach on the floor."

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Colin Castleton barely even played for Michigan. He averaged 8 minutes a game, 3 points and 2 rebounds a game. He seems like he might be a low level roll player so I am not sure how much he will actually contribute. Can he stay healthy unlike the 2 guys he is replacing, Gak and Bassett?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Mann does return I suspect it will need to be off the bench. If he starts that would put Appleby in the backcourt with Ques off the bench .Which
obviously is a size problem. I could see Tre being a potential sixth man of the year in conference. Subbing for Noah, Scottie and Appleby
when they need a blow. Last year MW would use Ques & AN in the game at times, and we can't really do that next year with small guys
at the point.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.