Gator Basketball Basketball Offseason Thread - Scottie Lewis Returning

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Jitoboh is a different scenario altogether. He arrived well overweight and extremely raw. He started playing the game late and everything is new to him. He has already shown good improvement and far exceeded expectations his first year. He’s a 4 year guy that should continue to improve and prove to be a serviceable contributor.

At first, Jitiboh was clumsy and ran the court at a snail's pace. By season's end, he was running the court at proper speed. I think he has a good shooting touch. He definitely is behind due to "not a lifetime dream" of playing BBall. He has the room to have a high ceiling. Hope so.

Payne is so bad on defense, he led the team in blocks with 34 -- Scottie had 36 in twice the minutes. Playing and getting chewed out by your coach from the sidelines cranks up the determination not to repeat a mistake ... but White's philosophy has been "coaches do not yell from the sidelines". Make them determined to improve, in front of everybody.

I can see upcoming practices getting "real" with Colin in there competing vs Payne & Jitoboh. Good thing hope springs eternal.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
When it comes to effort, I think he will be better. But, in White's time as HC, he has been a failure at developing big men. Egbunu is the only one who took genuine strides under White. If history is any indicator, what we see right now from Payne and Jitoboh is what they will be as seniors. They will improve a little bit, but basically still be the same.
I'll give white a little credit for hayes. He played pretty good his senior year. Whites problem is Recruiting big men. He takes on all these projects that don't pan out and don't belong in p5 basketball. Basset gak this juco transfer coming in this year. I'll even say jitoboh is pretty limited . He'll, Paynes the only decent big i can think of that white has signed. And now we take on a kid that couldn't crack michigan's rotation. It's not necessarily his development, it's what we're recruiting at that position.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll give white a little credit for hayes. He played pretty good his senior year. Whites problem is Recruiting big men. He takes on all these projects that don't pan out and don't belong in p5 basketball. Basset gak this juco transfer coming in this year. I'll even say jitoboh is pretty limited . He'll, Paynes the only decent big i can think of that white has signed. And now we take on a kid that couldn't crack michigan's rotation. It's not necessarily his development, it's what we're recruiting at that position.

Payne has unlimited potential...White will ruin him and he will transfer....if you can’t develop talent like Payne’s you need to sell insurance

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Read the article. He never said how Castleton fits in other than, "White needs big men." Since he has to sit out a year, White could recruit a freshman with athleticism who can average 2 points in 6-8 minutes. Recruiting is the one thing White does well. I do agree he needs to add weight. Like Erik Murphy, the kids struggles could be because he is so thin. Once Murphy added that extra 20-25 pounds, he was a solid player. One can only hope.

In White's defense, we are UF. There are only a select few elite bigs every class. Those guys go to the big boys. With the G-league becoming a thing, they will go there. White needs to learn from Leonard Hamilton. He's been recruiting quality big men for years who are 3 stars. Only recently is he adding 4 star big men. By the way, White couldn't get Isaiah Stokes to do anything. Stokes immediately gets to Memphis and sheds all that weight. He looks fantastic and is actually a bit chiseled.

Stokes is a real talented player but much like his brother. He’s a 4 who often plays 5 at 6’8. Good around the basket offensively with decent footwork. Just not a rim protector on defense. He came in overweight...lost weight...then tore up a knee and gained weight....then lost weight again. Struggled with consistency and getting minutes. Playing behind Kerry, KJ and the freshmen would have furthered reduced his playing time here.

Memphis may be a real good fit for him and if he keeps his weight discipline should produce.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
At first, Jitiboh was clumsy and ran the court at a snail's pace. By season's end, he was running the court at proper speed. I think he has a good shooting touch. He definitely is behind due to "not a lifetime dream" of playing BBall. He has the room to have a high ceiling. Hope so.

Payne is so bad on defense, he led the team in blocks with 34 -- Scottie had 36 in twice the minutes. Playing and getting chewed out by your coach from the sidelines cranks up the determination not to repeat a mistake ... but White's philosophy has been "coaches do not yell from the sidelines". Make them determined to improve, in front of everybody.

I can see upcoming practices getting "real" with Colin in there competing vs Payne & Jitoboh. Good thing hope springs eternal.

Agree on Jitoboh but not on Payne.

As I said in my previous post Payne is an elite rim protector. He blocks shots very well and will only get better. His issues were effort and the fact he was often lost on defense. He often looked confused defensively and that has to be resolved in practice....those minutes need to be earned. He needed to be brought along slowly like so many other freshmen. I suspect he will look far more comfortable this year. It’s his position to lose. He has to take some personal responsibility and I’m betting he does.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Totally agree on who we have brought in. Payne will be better than all of them...eventually. IF...he has Hayes work ethic. Hayes was not a real talented player especially on offense but damn he had a phenomenal attitude, high motor, and unreal work ethic. Put those attributes with Payne’s skill and he will be special.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Payne has unlimited potential...White will ruin him and he will transfer....if you can’t develop talent like Payne’s you need to sell insurance

Payne’s not going to transfer unless he can’t beat out Jitoboh. If he cant beat out Jitoboh he probably needs to go.

But that’s not going to happen. He has seen what it takes to succeed and the consequences of not doing those things. He’ll be effective for us and it won’t be about White. Unlike the others this kid has the potential to bank millions if he gets it right. He’ll be self-motivated.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TeamPhoto_MBK_190924_5320_AlexdelaOsa.jpg

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Payne’s not going to transfer unless he can’t beat out Jitoboh. If he cant beat out Jitoboh he probably needs to go.

But that’s not going to happen. He has seen what it takes to succeed and the consequences of not doing those things. He’ll be effective for us and it won’t be about White. Unlike the others this kid has the potential to bank millions if he gets it right. He’ll be self-motivated.
Unlikley Payne transfers

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
https://www.si.com/nba/2020/05/06/2...ource=LI&li_medium=m2m-rcw-sports-illustrated

What's the point of declaring if Nembhard can't even crack the Top 80?

Did not see Tre Mann's name on that list either. Shocking, utterly shocking? Seriously, I realize this is just one person's list and it does not have zero meaning to any NBA teams, but unless you are completely out of options and your name is not anywhere to be found, chances are you are not going to be thought of very highly by the masses. But hey, good luck to them if they decide to opt in.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nembhard is transferring? That's weird

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
It might signal a commitment to play faster. This team should be an extreme uptempo team and Andrew just isn’t that style. Doesn’t mean he isn’t talented just means he needs to play deliberate. He should find a good fit somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.