Gator Basketball Basketball Offseason Thread: 7'7" Olivier Rioux, "World's Tallest Teenager", commits to Florida

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Big get. Talent won’t be an issue next year at all
We've got to get another guard. Preferably 2. Then I'll feel good about next year. If we get the perry kid then we're a top 10 team next year.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We've got to get another guard. Preferably 2. Then I'll feel good about next year. If we get the perry kid then we're a top 10 team next year.

Hoping that’s the next domino to fall

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
As far as perimeter players go, we have...

Kugel
Clayton
Richard
Haugh
Aberdeen

We need another small forward. Did I miss anyone?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As far as perimeter players go, we have...

Kugel
Clayton
Richard
Haugh
Aberdeen

We need another small forward. Did I miss anyone?
Haugh will play PF I believe.

If any of the bigs are sliding out to the wing, I would guess Jarvis.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t know if this is a take based on name and appearance alone :lol:

Agreed

His look reminds me of the Appleby kid from the West Coast that Billy signed 10-12 years ago.
He was a slightly built, little white kid that looked like he was 12 years old. He had game but he just couldn’t handle the physical nature of basketball at this level.
He transferred back out west after one season.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Both...and the skills are just an added bonus lol
Lee, since you're kinda like the cover2 of basketball, I have a request: I would appreciate a brief overview of each signee as an upgrade/downgrade/neutral to their position. Nothing elaborate, just a quick-hitter.

I watch Gator BB, but there's still a ton I don't understand about the game. Please dumb it down for me! I see these commits from smaller schools and I know that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it has that "diamond in the rough" feeling that we're just propping up a 3*. I just know there's a lot I don't know...

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed

His look reminds me of the Appleby kid from the West Coast that Billy signed 10-12 years ago.
He was a slightly built, little white kid that looked like he was 12 years old. He had game but he just couldn’t handle the physical nature of basketball at this level.
He transferred back out west after one season.
I believe he actually had a decent career at Washington if I remember correctly

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I believe he actually had a decent career at Washington if I remember correctly

You are correct.
He started at the point for them for a couple of seasons and he did so without bulking up at all which led me to question the caliber of play in that league.

When he was at UF he couldn’t even get the ball across half court without it being stolen for a layup.
The guy had skills he just lacked the physicality to compete in the SEC at that time.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
You are correct.
He started at the point for them for a couple of seasons and he did so without bulking up at all which led me to question the caliber of play in that league.

When he was at UF he couldn’t even get the ball across half court without it being stolen for a layup.
The guy had skills he just lacked the physicality to compete in the SEC at that time.
Wasn't he also a backup to Anthony Roberson(Peep, although some argued at the old GSMB that his nickname was Pete)?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Lee, since you're kinda like the cover2 of basketball, I have a request: I would appreciate a brief overview of each signee as an upgrade/downgrade/neutral to their position. Nothing elaborate, just a quick-hitter.

I watch Gator BB, but there's still a ton I don't understand about the game. Please dumb it down for me! I see these commits from smaller schools and I know that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it has that "diamond in the rough" feeling that we're just propping up a 3*. I just know there's a lot I don't know...
E.J Jarvis- 6'8, 200 lbs- SF/PF/C- Jarvis will be a backup most likely. He averaged 11.3 pts and 5.5 reb, along with 1.5 BLKs at Yale last season. Super athletic. Probably for sure a backup at PF. Can rebound, dunk, block shots. Can score with his back to the basket, 1 on 1, pick and roll, and driving. Basically he is a more experienced way less out of control Fudge. What everyone thought Fudge could do. Will be tougher vs higher competition, but a very good option as a backup

Status- Projected Backup PF, huge upgrade to Fudge

Walter Clayton Jr- 6'2, 195- G- Should be a starting G. He averaged 16.8 pts, 4.3 reb, 3.2 assists, 43% 3pt%, 95% FT%. Clayton will be a lead guard. Whether as the point or a combo, the ball will be in his hands a lot. Big time scorer at all 3 levels. Amazing 3pt % and FT% was the best in the country...helped lead Pitino to the NCAAT. He has great body control and loves to drive and score inside against contact or draw fouls as well. Right now next to Kugel we could have 2 of the best guards in the SEC

Status- Projected Starting G, monumentally huge upgrade to Jones or Lofton. Clayton can score with the best guards in the country, vs UCONN in the NCAAT had 15 pts, 4 reb, 4 assists

Micah Handlogten- 7'1, 235 lbs- C- Handlogten should be the starting C and will look a lot like one Joakim Noah out there if all goes as planned. He averaged 7.6 pts, 9.8 reb, 2.3 BLKs. He can run the floor with the best of them and protect the rim. Not much in the way of post moves, but the size, rebounding, and defense could be NBA talent level. Does a lot of pick and roll and put backs because of his size. Can shoot the 3, but was basically like Castleton there as a freshman. I dont expect that to be a big part, but it might if he gets better. He won't put up Casleton's offensive numbers, but defensively and rebounding could be as good or better when paired with Samuel. Should be a highly efficient scorer

Status- Projected Starting C, downgrade to Castleton numbers wise most likley. But will play a specific role and at a high rate while being efficient

Tyrese Samuel- PF/C- 6'10, 235 lbs- Should be the starting PF. He averaged 11 pts, 5.9 reb, 0.8 BLKs at Seton Hall. His game has been evolving each year. Played mostly C this year and played well in the Big East. Can score inside, has a little mid range shot, lots of pick and rolls, put backs, and can shoot a few 3pts though again not good at all. He is kind of the AL Horford imo to Handlogten's Joakim Noah. Similar size difference. Complementing games and abilities defensively as a big. Samuel should be more athletic and be able to cover PF and wants to show his ability to do so.

Status- Projected Starting PF, again just insanely big improvement in inside scoring and rebounding

Current lineup would be

Clayton
Kugel
Richard
Samuel
Handlogten

Backups:
Aberdeen
Jarvis
Haugh
Condon
Aleks

3 or so top targets still to go could put us as an amazing team on paper

Last edited:

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
E.J Jarvis- 6'8, 200 lbs- SF/PF/C- Jarvis will be a backup most likely. He averaged 11.3 pts and 5.5 reb, along with 1.5 BLKs at Yale last season. Super athletic. Probably for sure a backup at PF. Can rebound, dunk, block shots. Can score with his back to the basket, 1 on 1, pick and roll, and driving. Basically he is a more experienced way less out of control Fudge. What everyone thought Fudge could do. Will be tougher vs higher competition, but a very good option as a backup

Status- Projected Backup PF, huge upgrade to Fudge

Walter Clayton Jr- 6'2, 195- G- Should be a starting G. He averaged 16.8 pts, 4.3 reb, 3.2 assists, 43% 3pt%, 95% FT%. Clayton will be a lead guard. Whether as the point or a combo, the ball will be in his hands a lot. Big time scorer at all 3 levels. Amazing 3pt % and FT% was the best in the country...helped lead Pitino to the NCAAT. He has great body control and loves to drive and score inside against contact or draw fouls as well. Right now next to Kugel we could have 2 of the best guards in the SEC

Status- Projected Starting G, monumentally huge upgrade to Jones or Lofton. Clayton can score with the best guards in the country, vs UCONN in the NCAAT had 15 pts, 4 reb, 4 assists

Micah Handlogten- 7'1, 235 lbs- C- Handlogten should be the starting C and will look a lot like one Joakim Noah out there if all goes as planned. He averaged 7.6 pts, 9.8 reb, 2.3 BLKs. He can run the floor with the best of them and protect the rim. Not much in the way of post moves, but the size, rebounding, and defense could be NBA talent level. Does a lot of pick and roll and put backs because of his size. Can shoot the 3, but was basically like Castleton there as a freshman. I dont expect that to be a big part, but it might if he gets better. He won't put up Casleton's offensive numbers, but defensively and rebounding could be as good or better when paired with Samuel. Should be a highly efficient scorer

Status- Projected Starting C, downgrade to Castleton numbers wise most likley. But will play a specific role and at a high rate while being efficient

Tyrese Samuel- PF/C- 6'10, 235 lbs- Should be the starting PF. He averaged 11 pts, 5.9 reb, 0.8 BLKs at Seton Hall. His game has been evolving each year. Played mostly C this year and played well in the Big East. Can score inside, has a little mid range shot, lots of pick and rolls, put backs, and can shoot a few 3pts though again not good at all. He is kind of the AL Horford imo to Handlogten's Joakim Noah. Similar size difference. Complementing games and abilities defensively as a big. Samuel should be more athletic and be able to cover PF and wants to show his ability to do so.

Status- Projected Starting PF, again just insanely big improvement in inside scoring and rebounding

Current lineup would be

Clayton
Kugel
Richard
Samuel
Handlogten

Backups:
Aberdeen
Jarvis
Haugh
Condon
Aleks

3 or so top targets still to go could put us as an amazing team on paper

Excellent write up, Lee. Given our Guard situation, would you want Kawacie back if you could? Just curious.

I hope we get Blue. Love the name.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Excellent write up, Lee. Given our Guard situation, would you want Kawacie back if you could? Just curious.

I hope we get Blue. Love the name.
I would not. He just doesn't have the handle currently. If we get Tylor Perry and and Blue Cain I think we are far superior at G. Perry is key but Cain can probably do what Kowacie can, though with a much better 3pt shot, mid range shot, finishing at the rim against contact...and he can dribble without it bouncing over his head

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator