Gator Basketball Basketball Offseason Thread - Scottie Lewis Returning

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who? The only player that left that there was much talk about was Stokes. He had a some attitude and Ballard sometimes sulked over playing time. But nobody was labeled a cancer. Some act like these guys were stars. They just wanted to go somewhere they could play. Not one of them would have been contributor.

I never suggested that any of these guys were stars, just pointing out that White turned over the entire roster after last season and at some point the turnover has to be tied to the coach versus only the players.
White also directly or indirectly took shots at Jalen Hudson and Keith Stone.

So he only voiced concerns for four players, I think that is enough to prove my point. Don't you?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We need to replace Blackshear's skill, bulk, and know-how.??

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Listening to the latest Florida Basketball Hour, they expect KJ to turn pro, are split on Lewis, and both seem to think Nembhard will come back.

Big blow for us if KJ leaves though

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
By pro, you mean going to Europe or a lesser league? Because, KJ has no prayer of being drafted. Lewis has a small chance of going in the 2nd round because of his defense and athleticism. Then, they will stick him in the g-league to see if he develops. I've said this before. I think Nembhard is the one most likely to leave. He is used to playing overseas. It wouldn't be that much of an adjustment for him.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I never suggested that any of these guys were stars, just pointing out that White turned over the entire roster after last season and at some point the turnover has to be tied to the coach versus only the players.
White also directly or indirectly took shots at Jalen Hudson and Keith Stone.

So he only voiced concerns for four players, I think that is enough to prove my point. Don't you?

There were rumors of Hudson having an attitude but never saw anything directed at Stone by anyone. He was well liked by the coaches and players. Stone, Hayes an Allen were inseparable and best friends. Stone just had a series of maddening injuries and when the other 2 graduated there was no doubt he was going to transfer because he was not going to get the playing time. I stated it clearly at the time although I thought he was going to go to FAU which would have been a far better fit. Plus he was a Deerfield Beach kid.

My mentioning Stokes was not meant to mean the coaches called him a cancer but that the fans chewed him up constantly about his weight. Coaches did what they do...insisted he get him shape or ride the pine. He, although talented, was an overweight, undersized center 6’7. He left for playing time elsewhere.

Ballard wanted to play but was never going to get consistent minutes at this level.

I don’t recall the coaching staff showing any real disdain for anyone other than Hudson who was graduating. They were just appropriate coaching decisions and/or player decisions. All of them needed to go and none would have played this year.

Again I’m not advocating that White is some great coach. I’ve listed my gripes multiple times. But I can’t think of any transfer out last year that was not the absolute right choice for the program, coach and player. Win-win-win. Better argument would be why some were recruited in the first place.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
We need to replace Blackshear's skill, bulk, and know-how.??

Blackshear had no bulk. He was skilled and had good IQ but truth is he was soft. I liked him and we were better with him on the court but we need to get a bruiser unless we can turn Jitoboh’s baby fat into muscle.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Is Mike in the transfer portal yet?

KJ considering pro? Oversees I presume. Undersized power forwards who can't consistently shoot the 3 are not usually drafted in the NBA. I realize the game is a small man's game now and KJ"s size is not the issue, but being a two guard in size with a four's game is not a healthy mix to be drafted.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Blackshear had no bulk. He was skilled and had good IQ but truth is he was soft. I liked him and we were better with him on the court but we need to get a bruiser unless we can turn Jitoboh’s baby fat into muscle.

You're correct. But nobody seemed to move him out of his spot. No matter who, at 6'11" 285 lbs Jitoboh can be useful enough if he upgrades his athletic coordination. What I saw near the end he was at least improving his running the court speed.?? We need an enforcer. Payne, even too light, was a decent shot blocker, who could get better. Maybe we get a big graduate transfer or maybe a top recruit comes in.?? = risky.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Is Mike in the transfer portal yet?

KJ considering pro? Oversees I presume. Undersized power forwards who can't consistently shoot the 3 are not usually drafted in the NBA. I realize the game is a small man's game now and KJ"s size is not the issue, but being a two guard in size with a four's game is not a healthy mix to be drafted.

I’m normally ok with kids getting the money. But I would advise against KJ, Andrew or Scotty going pro. They simply are not ready.

KJ and Andrew can have long, successful careers overseas with an outside shot at the NBA. But both should get their education. They’re going to need it some day.

Lewis will cost himself a lot of money if he goes too soon. He needs another year.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
You're correct. But nobody seemed to move him out of his spot. No matter who, at 6'11" 285 lbs Jitoboh can be useful enough if he upgrades his athletic coordination. What I saw near the end he was at least improving his running the court speed.?? We need an enforcer. Payne, even too light, was a decent shot blocker, who could get better. Maybe we get a big graduate transfer or maybe a top recruit comes in.?? = risky.

I think Payne steps up huge next year. Jitoboh rounds into better shape and improves steadily. He is a raw talent. I also believe we will go after a transfer big.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Having their season's tournament games taken from them ... maybe that will create a fierce determination to win next season??... not let opponents make big comebacks.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Having their season's tournament games taken from them ... maybe that will create a fierce determination to win next season??... not let opponents make big comebacks.

If only the players possessed the level of pride that we want them to have. Unfortunately they view their college experience as a pass through only on their way to the money.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m normally ok with kids getting the money. But I would advise against KJ, Andrew or Scotty going pro. They simply are not ready.

KJ and Andrew can have long, successful careers overseas with an outside shot at the NBA. But both should get their education. They’re going to need it some day.

Lewis will cost himself a lot of money if he goes too soon. He needs another year.

I agree completely.
Unfortunately players are very impatient and tend to listen to the wrong people

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Andrew has already proven he can play against grown men overseas. So, he is ready. KJ would be okay as well. Scottie’s game is too immature. But, that is what the g-league is for.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Andrew has already proven he can play against grown men overseas. So, he is ready. KJ would be okay as well. Scottie’s game is too immature. But, that is what the g-league is for.

Totally agree. I’m just saying Andrew and KJ should return....get their education....enjoy college life....then head across the pond if they can’t get in the league.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Totally agree. I’m just saying Andrew and KJ should return....get their education....enjoy college life....then head across the pond if they can’t get in the league.

One problem with their decision is the China virus. We don't know the economic impact yet. There may not be much for them overseas right now due to all of the chaos. It might be the smart decision to come back just to see where things settle.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I just saw BSPN's "Too Early Top 25 for 2020-21". Of course not all players have either declared their intentions so it is really pot luck. Be that as it may . UF did not crack the Top 25. I guess everyone learned their lesson regarding Mike and talent. Did crack the next in line list though, so Mike has that going for him, "Which is Nice".

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just saw BSPN's "Too Early Top 25 for 2020-21". Of course not all players have either declared their intentions so it is really pot luck. Be that as it may . UF did not crack the Top 25. I guess everyone learned their lesson regarding Mike and talent. Did crack the next in line list though, so Mike has that going for him, "Which is Nice".

I guess that even BSPN embraces the “Fool me twice shame on me “ theory.
Every year moving forward the expectations for the program will continue to decline to the point where CMW will eventually be the right coach for the program.
All the local media are doing their part to prepare us for the new standards:
- Be competitive each season
- Make the tournament field most years
- Once per decade make it past the first weekend
- Occasionally make a run to the NIT final four

This will be the new Gator standard of excellence for the men’s basketball program and we will learn to appreciate CMW

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Sam Vecenie of “The Athletic” did his nba draft top 100. Keyontae Johnson is listed as the 53rd overall prospect. Scottie Lewis is at 56. Espn has Lewis at 38 and Johnson at 64. No other gators mentioned by anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.