Gator Basketball Basketball Offseason Thread

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lane was a top defender in college last season. He will get plenty of min if on the team. Same with Fudge. Might not start but definitely key pieces

Aberdeen and Kugel took turns running the point in high school essentially
The way I see it, our depth chart looks something like this right now:

1: Bonham, Kennedy, Aberdeen
2: Reeves, Jones
3: Richard, Lane
4: Felder, Fudge
5: Castleton, Jitiboh

If we stop there, the roster isn't very good. Not sure who wins the spot at 4, but neither of those guys should be starting in my opinion. We're also in desperate need of a legitimate backup point guard. Aberdeen is rated a little lower than Kennedy was coming out of high school so who really knows if he'll be any good.

If we add the three that were mentioned we'd be looking at:

1: Bonham, Kennedy, Aberdeen
2: Reeves, Jones, Kugel
3: Richard, Ward, Lane
4: Broome, Felder, Fudge
5: Castleton, Jitiboh

Suddenly the roster doesn't look so bad. Broome solves the problem in the frontcourt and should be the top priority IMO. Ward is a 5 star talent that could push Richard for the starting spot on the wing. Then you just have to hope that either Aberdeen or Kugel works out to solve the hole at backup point guard.

Realistically speaking, neither Lane nor Kennedy should see the court if we are any good, and I agree that Lane is the more talented of the two. I just have the least confidence that we fill the backup point guard spot and we look pretty good at the 2/3.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like lane. He's a good defender and a a solid glue guy. He even showed he was a decent passer. I wouldn't push him out at all. I don't think Aberdeen is good enough, nor is jitobobah and Jones is also a liability. I don't understand why we couldn't land a better pg out of the portal either. Bonham had worse #s than Appleby when he came in and looks really similar from his tape.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Is there a possibility that Jiitiboh has made good use of his recuperation time and improved the areas of his skills that his condition would allow.?
Think what an asset Jitiboh's size would be clogging up the inside. From what I've seen of him, he has a soft shooting touch. There's potential there and you can't teach hulk-bulk. So are coaches & teammates doing special work with Jitoboh, a player Golden already has in the stable.? Shouldn't Jitoboh be practicing free throws, even outside set shots?

This makes me wonder: how well does coach Golden relate well with his team. Do players & coaches talk BB IQ? (If the NCAA allows such.?)
P.S. >> IMO, there should be exceptions to any limited contact rule when dealing with a brand new coaching ensemble.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bonham had worse #s than Appleby when he came in and looks really similar from his tape.

The passing efficiency stats on Bonham are way better than Applebee, and he gets more foul calls (shoots 82% FTs) and finishes at the rim. I’m sure Golden likes Bonham over Bee by a large margin.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If we get these three (meaning we have to drop Aberdeen if the super seniors count against the limit), then I'll feel good about the roster.
This is the first post I can find on Aberdeen. I don't think he was mentioned in this thread before, but could be wrong. I have no idea who he is, other than you guys think he's a backup PG and is on the roster at the moment, but I can't even confirm that. Where did this Aberdeen kid come from and why do you think he's on the roster? Our current roster shows the other transfers, but not Aberdeen. What am I missing?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is the first post I can find on Aberdeen. I don't think he was mentioned in this thread before, but could be wrong. I have no idea who he is, other than you guys think he's a backup PG and is on the roster at the moment, but I can't even confirm that. Where did this Aberdeen kid come from and why do you think he's on the roster? Our current roster shows the other transfers, but not Aberdeen. What am I missing?
He's not actually on the roster yet. Just a commit.

Florida 2022 Basketball Commits

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If we are cutting someone off the current roster to sign those three it should be Lane.

Lane is the only player on last year’s roster that played hard every minute he was on the court.

I would be very reluctant to let him go. Winning teams must have a couple of Niels Lane type of players.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lane is the only player on last year’s roster that played hard every minute he was on the court.

I would be very reluctant to let him go. Winning teams must have a couple of Niels Lane type of players.
It's not about liking a guy, it's about roster management.

When Muschamp was bringing in 7 DBs in every class it wasn't that they were bad kids, it's that we needed offensive linemen.

This roster has plenty at sg/sf. Our needs are bigs and true point guards.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The passing efficiency stats on Bonham are way better than Applebee, and he gets more foul calls (shoots 82% FTs) and finishes at the rim. I’m sure Golden likes Bonham over Bee by a large margin.
Here's the the problem I have with a sub 6 foot guard who's a slasher. It doesn't translate to power 5 ball. These guys get in the lane amongst the trees and there's nowhere to go. They become turnover prone. There's a ton of guys in the portal, I just don't know why we couldn't do better.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the the problem I have with a sub 6 foot guard who's a slasher. It doesn't translate to power 5 ball. These guys get in the lane amongst the trees and there's nowhere to go. They become turnover prone. There's a ton of guys in the portal, I just don't know why we couldn't do better.
I'm just going to throw out there that 6'6" Nick Calathes turned it over about twice as much as 5'11" Chris Chiozza

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just going to throw out there that 6'6" Nick Calathes turned it over about twice as much as 5'11" Chris Chiozza
Loved the Cheese!
ONIONS.0.gif

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Jonesworthy? Nice wordplay! We used to use that term when we were punks back in the 70's to describe a tasty looking bud or a hot babe.
And of course one of the more famous type of Jonesing was the basketball-jones, so once again your ability to tie together a reference through a witty pun is unmatched, although I'm thinking Samuel Clemmons would have given you a run for your money.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Felder is better than y’all think. Don’t let injuries, sickness and MW fool ya

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying because he's short he's going to be turnover prone. I'm saying because he's short and his game is predicated driving to the basket, they can become a liability. Chiozza was a great passer and even became a pretty good shooter rather than trying to make a living getting to the rim.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say Jit should be the first to be processed. He never should have been signed in the first place.
We don't have enough bigs. If we hadn't lost Reed and still signed Broome, I would agree with you.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's not about liking a guy, it's about roster management.

When Muschamp was bringing in 7 DBs in every class it wasn't that they were bad kids, it's that we needed offensive linemen.

This roster has plenty at sg/sf. Our needs are bigs and true point guards.

I was referring to roster management.

- Somebody has to play real defense.
- Somebody has to take the charge.
- Somebody has to set the key pick.

One of our MANY problems last season was that we had a collection of transfers that were scorers first that came to UF to prove they could be scorers in the SEC and nobody was satisfied with doing the ugly stuff that is critical of success. You are left with a team of shoot first clowns like Myreon Jones.

I don’t know how else to explain this to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.