Gator Basketball Basketball Offseason Thread: 7'7" Olivier Rioux, "World's Tallest Teenager", commits to Florida

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
We got any Tony Bennett fans still lmao

Yes would take him in a heartbeat. Competes with 2 of the behemoths of college basketball every year and all the other good teams in that league. Makes tourney consistently. That was a 6 year player who made that awful play, but that is on the coach as well, no doubt. But I will take the consistency that UVA plays with regarding the talent they get vs. the shyt we have. Guys improve at UVA without being highly touted and they finish top end of ACC every year. We scratch and claw to reach the NIT.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
As poor a season as Kowacie had he isn’t quite the waste of a scholarship the 5’1 guard Bonham is . Or soft Fudge for that matter . RISD Toddy brought in dreadful transfers and is out of his league .
Bonham leaving opens a lot of things up for the roster creation/options. Given the last month or so, definitely one that could be on the move

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Yes would take him in a heartbeat. Competes with 2 of the behemoths of college basketball every year and all the other good teams in that league. Makes tourney consistently. That was a 6 year player who made that awful play, but that is on the coach as well, no doubt. But I will take the consistency that UVA plays with regarding the talent they get vs. the shyt we have. Guys improve at UVA without being highly touted and they finish top end of ACC every year. We scratch and claw to reach the NIT.
Lost to a 16 seed
Won title
No tourney
Lost to a 13 seed
NIT
Lost to a 13 seed

Pretty consistent indeed

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Lost to a 16 seed
Won title
No tourney
Lost to a 13 seed
NIT
Lost to a 13 seed

Pretty consistent indeed
He lucked out one year and has sucked out loud when he’s made the tourney the others. Yeah, I’m sure our regular season record would be much better, but we’d be calling for his head when he lost to Georgia Southern in the first round of the tourney. No thanks!

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Lost to a 16 seed
Won title
No tourney
Lost to a 13 seed
NIT
Lost to a 13 seed

Pretty consistent indeed
We can agree to disagree. I am not a one game type of person. Just when UF beat Tinerc this year and everyone thought the team was great. I expect to win games at home and then they lost like 5 straight. You can love Mike and Golden Shower and hate Bennett. I DGAF. We are all entitled to our opinions. I have played and coached a lot of basketball and I appreciate the job Bennett has done his entire career with the players he has had. By your standards, Jerry Sloan was not a great NBA coach. He was one of the greatest of all time and never won a title as a coach? I just watch games and judge based on what I see.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Just watching some of the teams in the tourney, granted, some of them are automatic qualifiers, thinking we suck out loud to have not made this field.

Alafreakinbama is a #1 seed. Tennefrigginsee is a four! Missstinckinouri is a seven.

We are an "also ran" or "has been" athletic program at this point.

I will continue to cheer for and defend the Gators! In all kinds of weather! But I sure miss the days when losing seasons weren't the norm.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We can agree to disagree. I am not a one game type of person. Just when UF beat Tinerc this year and everyone thought the team was great. I expect to win games at home and then they lost like 5 straight. You can love Mike and Golden Shower and hate Bennett. I DGAF. We are all entitled to our opinions. I have played and coached a lot of basketball and I appreciate the job Bennett has done his entire career with the players he has had. By your standards, Jerry Sloan was not a great NBA coach. He was one of the greatest of all time and never won a title as a coach? I just watch games and judge based on what I see.
I'm just pointing out how terrible his system is for the ultimate goal of winning it all. When you don't score you leave yourself open to 0 margin of error meaning tourney losses repeatedly to bad seeds

Many people wanted Billy out for just losing Rd1...imagine losing to the worst teams in the tourney over and over

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Just watching some of the teams in the tourney, granted, some of them are automatic qualifiers, thinking we suck out loud to have not made this field.

Alafreakinbama is a #1 seed. Tennefrigginsee is a four! Missstinckinouri is a seven.

We are an "also ran" or "has been" athletic program at this point.

I will continue to cheer for and defend the Gators! In all kinds of weather! But I sure miss the days when losing seasons weren't the norm.
Hopefully back to relevant this coming season

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Hopefully back to relevant this coming season
Wait 'til next year? Been there, done that. Many times.

But, frankly, I have lived through relevant, and lived through irrelevant. I have also enjoyed excellent. And that is my expectation. Not NCs every year, but at the upper levels of competitiveness in most sports every year and win them from time to time.

I don't think that is too much to ask.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just pointing out how terrible his system is for the ultimate goal of winning it all. When you don't score you leave yourself open to 0 margin of error meaning tourney losses repeatedly to bad seeds

Many people wanted Billy out for just losing Rd1...imagine losing to the worst teams in the tourney over and over
Mushchamp ball.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bonham leaving opens a lot of things up for the roster creation/options. Given the last month or so, definitely one that could be on the move
Bonham is transferring?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Bonham is transferring?

Him and Fudge would need to sit a year if they did (I believe). I expect Bonham back and possibly Fudge unless he goes G League route or something

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Why hasn’t Fudge transferred out yet? I’m getting worried we’re gonna be watching another season of him thinking he’s Curry while shooting like Werner

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why hasn’t Fudge transferred out yet? I’m getting worried we’re gonna be watching another season of him thinking he’s Curry while shooting like Werner
If someone would tell him to model his game after iguduala or some elite hustle player, he'd be ok. It should be his goal to lead the team in blocks , steals and rebounds. Hopefully he and the coaches realize he's not Paul George this off-season because I think he's got the potential to be a stat filling role player.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
If someone would tell him to model his game after iguduala or some elite hustle player, he'd be ok. It should be his goal to lead the team in blocks , steals and rebounds. Hopefully he and the coaches realize he's not Paul George this off-season because I think he's got the potential to be a stat filling role player.

Agreed. Just don’t see it happening but who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.