Battery Powered Lawn Equipment

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I probably only use it about 10 - 12 times a year to blow off excess leaves since we have a lot of trees over the house.
I'm not sure if it would be worth anything but I've spent the last 10 minutes looking all over the internet for an image of a midget using a leaf blower.... :lol:

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I have Ryobi 40v leaf blower 525cfm, not as good as I expected it would be. I'm happier with all my other Ryobi stuff. 40v pole saw, 18v chain saw, hedge trimmer, One Plus weed trimmer / brush cutter / edger, 18v impact drill, regular drill, flashlight, and a nice little 18v air compressor that I use the most.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have bought the missus Ryobi leaf blower, line trimmer, small pruning saw, and pole saw. They’re more than adequate for what she wants to use them for and easy to handle. Have accumulated half a dozen batteries and a couple of chargers so battery life isn’t an issue. But understand, she doesn’t have a landscaping company. The Ryobi line is good for homeowners, not contractors, and are very reasonably priced.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have a variety of Ryobi products most 18v but I have the 40v Lawn Mower which I can do a 1/2-3/4 acre lot on one charge and have the 40v Leaf vacuum mulcher which I will be testing out soon. I have the 18v chainsaw, pole saw, leaf blower, speakers, multiple drills, lights, saws, hot glue gun, pumpkin craver (Halloween family), etc... allow of them have taken a beating and worked great over multiple different properties and types of work.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Have a Ryobi pole saw that has been a beast for me over the years and an Ego hedge trimmer. Only complaint on the pole saw is the chain has a tendency to come off more than I’d like. Both have been great.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have a Ryobi pole saw that has been a beast for me over the years and an Ego hedge trimmer. Only complaint on the pole saw is the chain has a tendency to come off more than I’d like. Both have been great.
@Detroitgator has hinted occasionally that you are off the chain, so this comes as no great surprise. But I do second your assertion re the pole saw.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I'm not sure if it would be worth anything but I've spent the last 10 minutes looking all over the internet for an image of a midget using a leaf blower.... :lol:
Contact Urg's wife and have her snap a pic for you... ;)

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Contact Urg's wife and have her snap a pic for you... ;)
Pew Pew Finger Guns GIF by BrownSugarApp

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I use Stihl products. I have three chainsaws, two string trimmers, a hedge trimmer and two blowers (one hand-held and one backpack). I never have problems getting them running after the off-season storage. Oh, and they all burn gas. I won't have a battery powered lawn tool.

There is of these that I see "mowing" frequently when I'm driving home. And recently I saw that MDA has a similar one that they now use on the grounds... smh...

roboticmowers-2048px-0036-2x1-1.jpg

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Like others, I have a collection of Ryobi 18v stuff. Started with the circular saw/flashlight/drill combo set, added a bush trimmer, string edger/trimmer, air compressor, and reciprocating saw. First batteries lasted years, and they were the initial lower versions that I didn't mind replacing when the time came. Now have about 4-5 batteries of various sizes that get me through. Tools overall have been great - no issues and always get the job done (0.25-0.35 acre home lots). Can't find a complaint. Been eyeing the chainsaws for a decade but I really would have only used it 1-2 times over that decade. I can't see going for bigger equipment (mower, blower) because I have more confidence in gas engines for heavier jobs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You have lots of acreage, so do I. actually I'm pretty sure you have far more than I do.

I would NOT even touch Ryobi again. Ive given all that **** away. The problem wasnt the tools, they worked well enough, but the batteries are ass when you are doing a bigger job. 1/2 or 1/4 acre people may have different results.

Some aspect of their battery control just doesnt work once you severely discharge the battery or heat them up. Then you cant even jump the battery to get it to charge. I've seen YouTube videos on taking the battery apart and soldering on a wire that bypasses their little mini controller chip in there. Since I had like 8 or 10 of those batteries most of them hardly used, I thought about doing it. But in the end lithium is pretty scary and I wasnt interested in doing.

I had a few pieces of Husqvarna gas stuff too and none of it worked well. I'm not sure if it's the gas mix we use in the United States not working well for their Euro carburetors or what. Just what Altitude said, no amount of winter prep made those thing work in Spring. again people who don't really store tools for the winter probably have never had this problem. Perhaps the problem was I was buying Lowe's grade stuff. Again, Id never buy another. One of their chainsaws is probably the most frustrating piece of equipment I've ever owned, bext to a Husqvarna mower.

I ONLY use Stihl tools now and never struggle with getting it started and working properly. I would pay twice as much for Stihl. They do have some battery stuff but Ive never used it.

For mowers I have a tractor with a Kawasaki that replaced a Husqvarna that I would have gladly burned. I also have a Honda push mower, that has been a champ for over a decade. The Husqvarna tractor rarely lasted say two or three mows until it had to go back to the shop, but it had one of their ****ty early Chinese engines "Kohler Courage". Maybe they are better now.

Dont listen to Earth nuggets who are more interested in their green religion than actually working. I doubt you will ever see a work crew carrying those, for good reason.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Might as well get a nice Stihl gas powered at this point.
This is the answer. IMO Stihl is always the answer and get their lowest end "commercial or professional" one. they always have little features like compression relief valves that the "homeowner" version does not.

there are times when battery powered is preferable such as in a small tool one for those I would also get either Stihl, Ridgid, or Milwaukee.

I said I got rid of all my Ryobi ****. My dad likes that stuff and recommended in the beginning so I gave him to him. Last time I was at his house I noticed they're all sitting in a corner, a few of them flashing on a charger but not in the box with his charged batteries. I suspect he was not able to get them to charge either, but I didn't ask because I hate those things so much and felt bad for giving them to him.

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
John Deere gas mower I bought when I had 4 lots and huge driveway/sidewalk to plow in in Winter. Left the blower attachment in WI.

I have a Stihl Combi unit, trimmer, blower, edger, pole saw, hedge clipper and a Stihl cahinsaw.

I buy ethanol free gas at WaWa and my Stihls will crank when I need them.

I have DeWalt 20V power tools. I have a 20V adapter that allows me to use the 20V batteries in a couple of older 18V tools (drill & 3/8 drive impact).

Small lot, 1/3 acre or less, go battery. For a big lot, use at the deer lease, farm, etc. go gas.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Nalt
Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.