soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Never understood while people say Pee-Con.

How do you pronounce Aunt?

ba7c59a9-936f-4dad-9443-e695c0ab293d_text.gif

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@cover2 So what’s your plan with the farm? Obviously you’ve lined up some food, what about the long term? Heifers? Other Steers?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@cover2 So what’s your plan with the farm? Obviously you’ve lined up some food, what about the long term? Heifers? Other Steers?
Keep running the cattle is one part. BIL lives and has a little farm in Chipley and one idea is to move the calves to his place after they’re weened, keeping some of the heifers as breed stock with another Angus bull and selling the rest. The herd that stays here on the home place needs about half of the mommas replaced (10). The herd needs to be between 20-30 plus the bull. The 75 acres of pasture is divided into five fenced sections and can support that many. There’s been as many as 75, but the grass gets pretty thin when the herd is that large.

Another part involves pecan trees. Like @Bait'n Gator there are trees in three of the fenced areas and in the yards of the two houses, about 150 in all. Half are older trees that are not consistent producers and are too large for the fungicide/pesticide to reach the tops when they are sprayed, so scab is an annual problem. The other half are younger trees that are starting to bear and easier to maintain. There is a gatherer, but it is about shot, plus the market has been poor the last couple of years, so right now the idea is to put the younger trees under a fertilizer and spray program and let the older trees do what they can on their own. We’ve got a shaker that mounts to a tractor that can handle the younger trees and it’s about impossible to find someone to get to shake the larger ones.

Thirty acres has a stand of volunteer pines that we are lining up to chip, clear, and then reforest. FIL bought this little piece from the bank (foreclosure), as it adjoined the original property. He had ideas of putting pecans on it, but wound up just letting it sit. He was in his ‘80’s at the time and his health was pretty good, but then he started slowing down and it just kinda floundered.

There’s plenty of fence work to be done all over the 150 acres. I hope to maybe retire after one more school year and attend to some of the day-to-day chores. Our oldest graduated from ABAC in December and went to work and our youngest will graduate from Valdosta State next month. That will help us with the plans for the farm.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
My wife was like that, but she’s getting better. As long as we don’t talk about it during the meal or refer to the animal by name, she’s alright. There was a time, however, when she wouldn’t eat farm-raised. She still won’t eat sausage unless it is Jimmy Dean’s!

if you name the steers, you name them right. Our last one was Teddy, short for tenderloin. Cheeseburger was before that. Chuck, short for chuck roast before that.

It’s much tastier than store bought. That’s for sure.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Keep running the cattle is one part. BIL lives and has a little farm in Chipley and one idea is to move the calves to his place after they’re weened, keeping some of the heifers as breed stock with another Angus bull and selling the rest. The herd that stays here on the home place needs about half of the mommas replaced (10). The herd needs to be between 20-30 plus the bull. The 75 acres of pasture is divided into five fenced sections and can support that many. There’s been as many as 75, but the grass gets pretty thin when the herd is that large.

Another part involves pecan trees. Like @Bait'n Gator there are trees in three of the fenced areas and in the yards of the two houses, about 150 in all. Half are older trees that are not consistent producers and are too large for the fungicide/pesticide to reach the tops when they are sprayed, so scab is an annual problem. The other half are younger trees that are starting to bear and easier to maintain. There is a gatherer, but it is about shot, plus the market has been poor the last couple of years, so right now the idea is to put the younger trees under a fertilizer and spray program and let the older trees do what they can on their own. We’ve got a shaker that mounts to a tractor that can handle the younger trees and it’s about impossible to find someone to get to shake the larger ones.

Thirty acres has a stand of volunteer pines that we are lining up to chip, clear, and then reforest. FIL bought this little piece from the bank (foreclosure), as it adjoined the original property. He had ideas of putting pecans on it, but wound up just letting it sit. He was in his ‘80’s at the time and his health was pretty good, but then he started slowing down and it just kinda floundered.

There’s plenty of fence work to be done all over the 150 acres. I hope to maybe retire after one more school year and attend to some of the day-to-day chores. Our oldest graduated from ABAC in December and went to work and our youngest will graduate from Valdosta State next month. That will help us with the plans for the farm.

I guess the pecan and pine trees were out of the way from hurricane Michael? There was tree-mendous damage east of there to a lot of farms.

Can even imagine maintaining fence rows on 150 acres.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess the pecan and pine trees were out of the way from hurricane Michael? There was tree-mendous damage east of there to a lot of farms.

Can even imagine maintaining fence rows on 150 acres.
I think we lost maybe five of the old pecan trees. Had a couple of young ones partially uprooted, but were able to save them. That 30 acres of volunteer pines was basically untouched, in part I believe because it is on the NE side of the farm and buffered by a hardwood bottom.

The fences are problematic. My FIL was “frugal” (code for cheap :)). He believed in getting by and using whatever was at hand or could be concocted. A lot of the fencing looks sorta like what the Soviets put together in the defense of Stalingrad. We ride the fences every other day and immediately after bad weather to make sure nothing has fallen on it and knocked down the wire and to be sure the electricity is still flowing. We’ve got some stretches that we have been working on and will continue to do so. It’s a big job, but I’m enjoying it already. I grew up working on a tobacco farm and always enjoyed my time working outside. My FIL was never really warm on me getting involved in his operation and I never pushed it. It would have been nice to have been able to have gotten a head start on some of the things we are now facing.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I think we lost maybe five of the old pecan trees. Had a couple of young ones partially uprooted, but were able to save them. That 30 acres of volunteer pines was basically untouched, in part I believe because it is on the NE side of the farm and buffered by a hardwood bottom.

The fences are problematic. My FIL was “frugal” (code for cheap :)). He believed in getting by and using whatever was at hand or could be concocted. A lot of the fencing looks sorta like what the Soviets put together in the defense of Stalingrad. We ride the fences every other day and immediately after bad weather to make sure nothing has fallen on it and knocked down the wire and to be sure the electricity is still flowing. We’ve got some stretches that we have been working on and will continue to do so. It’s a big job, but I’m enjoying it already. I grew up working on a tobacco farm and always enjoyed my time working outside. My FIL was never really warm on me getting involved in his operation and I never pushed it. It would have been nice to have been able to have gotten a head start on some of the things we are now facing.

Sounds like a great farm ~ Enjoy!
We have 5 acres and it's time to do some major fence repair. Concerned about lumber prices though. Tried to find 20 boards in the fall and there weren't any to be found at the time. A few goats might be nice for the fence rows. @Seedy is out weed eating as I sit inside and play on the computer. :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like a great farm ~ Enjoy!
We have 5 acres and it's time to do some major fence repair. Concerned about lumber prices though. Tried to find 20 boards in the fall and there weren't any to be found at the time. A few goats might be nice for the fence rows. @Seedy is out weed eating as I sit inside and play on the computer. :lol:
Unfortunately it doesn’t look like lumber prices are going to drop anytime soon. I imagine we’re gonna have to rely on the metal posts quite a bit. I’d think a few goats could help keep your fence rows clean. I’d also suggest not letting that @Nalt feller know you’ve got goats. He’s from Alabammer and...well, you know ;)

Seriously though, are you thinking of getting a pair to breed? If so, they can be quite prolific. Not to mention the males are kinda loud smelling. On the upside, you’ll have an endless supply of goat “pills.” One of my granddaddy’s friends used to take one every day before he went to bed. Lived into his ‘90’s and never had arthritis.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Hey Cover, I ran across info on a farm in Blufton GA called White Oak Pastures. It has changed to a regenerative farm in 1995 and I enjoyed watching some of their videos. You may or may not be interested but I thought I would share a link to one of the videos. They have dozens of them. The owner is a UG alum, redneck and plain spoken.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Bullag8r ...I am familiar with White Oak Pastures. They have quite a set up. We headed upstate last fall for the HS Football quarterfinals in Cedartown (below Rome) and had lunch at White Oak’s restaurant. Burgers and chicken raised on site. Quite good. Their outfit takes up quite a bit of tiny Bluffton. They have a general store attached where you can buy anything from moonshine to chicken feet. I haven’t toured the entirety, but you can see the barns and pens as well as the buildings where the processing takes place. Not overly modernized from what I could tell, but reminiscent of some of the older meat and produce businesses I recall from a rural youth. I appreciate you sharing this. I would tell anyone traveling in that area (GA 27 between Blakely and Cuthbert) to at least stop for a bite and enjoy a little history.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Reminds me of back when I first got married. My wife was a city girl and had never eaten anything off the farm. We had a barbecue out at my uncles farm. My uncle was telling my wife that he meant to shoot Ben the Hog but he was drunk and shot Sally instead. My wife refused to eat any animal with a name LMAO.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Hey Cover, I ran across info on a farm in Blufton GA called White Oak Pastures. It has changed to a regenerative farm in 1995 and I enjoyed watching some of their videos. You may or may not be interested but I thought I would share a link to one of the videos. They have dozens of them. The owner is a UG alum, redneck and plain spoken.

Very cool! I’ve passed by the signs more times than I could count and have always been tempted to drive down that road to the store. Maybe next time. Not far from there in Lumpkin I had to call the sheriff about a cow in the road. :lol:

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
@Bullag8r ...I am familiar with White Oak Pastures. They have quite a set up. We headed upstate last fall for the HS Football quarterfinals in Cedartown (below Rome) and had lunch at White Oak’s restaurant. Burgers and chicken raised on site. Quite good. Their outfit takes up quite a bit of tiny Bluffton. They have a general store attached where you can buy anything from moonshine to chicken feet. I haven’t toured the entirety, but you can ins the barns and pens as well as the buildings where the processing takes place. Not overly modernized from what I could tell, but reminiscent of some of the older meat and produce businesses I recall from a rural youth. I appreciate you sharing this. I would tell anyone traveling in that area (GA 27 between Blakely and Cuthbert) to at least stop for a bite and enjoy a little history.

I have learned a lot about soils and regenerative farming from watching the videos. Being a consulting arborist those things interest me and I also prefer eating humanely raised and slaughtered animals. My wife and I are talking about going up there for a 2 night stay and a tour. They have cabins they rent for visitors.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
With the passing of my father-in-law, my wife and her brother took over the small farm operation that included a small angus herd with a registered bull. Presently, the herd totals 41 with 9 more spring calves expected. My FIL basically sold the calves each year, but the primary job of the herd was to keep the pastures clean (~75 acres). They were more pets than anything else. Things are about to change.

For the first time in 25 years, 3 steers were cut from the herd and finished for processing. Jones Meats in Climax GA (which I’ve previously referenced and lauded) butchered the beef to our specifications. The steer we got provided about 250# of hamburger and 200# of roast (Chuck, Sirloin Tip, Rump, and Shoulder) and steaks (Delmonico, NY Strip, Sirloin, Filet, and Round). All the steaks except the round were cut at 1-1/2” and packaged two per.

We grilled a couple of the Delmonicos and Filets last evening that turned out better than expected. I had forgotten just how flavorful and tender a finished steer was compared to what we were used to buying at W/D, Publix, etc. I know some of the purist might wonder why we didn’t get the brisket or ribs or keep the NY Strips and Filets together? Partly a matter of freezer space, partly because I’m not much of a brisket or rib chef, and partly because we usually don’t eat big enough to warrant the T-Bones. Maybe some of you all can share your best methods for preparing brisket and ribs and we might keep them intact when we butcher the next one. I’d also appreciate any ideas you have for the filets, though just a soak in Moore’s with S&P was pretty dang good!
Congrats. I've heard from local cow/calf operators that finishing is more about restricting movement than shoveling corn in them. No 1st hand knowledge though.

As for some BBQ, here is a great site for lots of BBQ. And best yet, he's a UF dropout. I use the site as a reference, and have never been steered wrong.

Reviews and Ratings Of Grills, Smokers, Barbecue Pits, Accessories, Books, Tools & Toys

Meathead Goldwyn - Wikipedia

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have learned a lot about soils and regenerative farming from watching the videos. Being a consulting arborist those things interest me and I also prefer eating humanely raised and slaughtered animals. My wife and I are talking about going up there for a 2 night stay and a tour. They have cabins they rent for visitors.
I don’t know a whole lot about regenerative farming, but after watching a couple of the videos, it has got me thinking about our bottom pasture, the largest, which also seems to have the poorest grazing yearly. I’d like to see us work up a regenerative plan to restore it and gain better use. I was telling my wife just last night when we went out to eat that I wanted us to take a drive up Bluffton way and tour their operation. I believe it’s an important responsibility to be a good steward of your land and it’s resources. The more we can learn and then implement, the better we can uphold that responsibility and enjoy the results.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I don’t know a whole lot about regenerative farming, but after watching a couple of the videos, it has got me thinking about our bottom pasture, the largest, which also seems to have the poorest grazing yearly. I’d like to see us work up a regenerative plan to restore it and gain better use. I was telling my wife just last night when we went out to eat that I wanted us to take a drive up Bluffton way and tour their operation. I believe it’s an important responsibility to be a good steward of your land and it’s resources. The more we can learn and then implement, the better we can uphold that responsibility and enjoy the results.

Be sure to let me know if you visit. I don't have a farm but I would like to eat healthier groceries and support farms that produce them. I do know based on my experience with diagnosing tree problems that organic soils results in healthier trees. That's just the way God made it and we are all better off following Him rather than trying to outsmart Him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator