Beer reviews

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
im drinking a belikin right now. saving my last lighthouse for the 4th qtr tommorow, celebration time :grin:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Image1543543371.127755.jpg

Red cypress devils chair IPA

It comes up short compared to the Jai alai and sunshine city great IPA brews in Florida. But it’s still a good beer . Would have a better picture of it , but my two year old was watching paw patrol on my phone . Or “Chase” as he calls it . In any event it has a bit of resin taste that hits you in the mouth . If you like smoking weed this is a beer you’ll really enjoy . I like it but it’s not worth pursuing in the future C +

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
34377778-2BAE-4844-9FD0-EF5C17479120.jpeg

This is at a local pizza joint that a ton of beers on tap from Shoe Tree Brewing Company out of Carson City, NV. This is the Mocha Porter. Definitely has the hints of mocha and even a little coffee. It’s a little on the thin side, if that makes sense. Would get again. Check out the link below for others tastes.

The Beers | ||| SHOE TREE BREWING COMPANY |||

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not a huge fan here. Like many of the bourbon barrel stout, it misses the balance mark. Whiskey up front, definite imperial stout finish. Not terrible, but you feel it without enjoying it as much as you should. Boulevard has some great beers, like The Calling. I just wouldn’t put this on anywhere near the caliber.

boulevardwbs_edited.jpg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not a huge fan here. Like many of the bourbon barrel stout, it misses the balance mark. Whiskey up front, definite imperial stout finish. Not terrible, but you feel it without enjoying it as much as you should. Boulevard has some great beers, like The Calling. I just wouldn’t put this on anywhere near the caliber.

boulevardwbs_edited.jpg

Boulevard wheat rules on a hot summer day .

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Image1544709917.053541.jpg
Image1544709930.411171.jpg

Anchor brewing - merry Christmas happy new year

‘‘Tis the season . Nice blend of malt and mild chocolate . Similar to a porter but not quite as heavy as most . It goes down pretty easy and is enjoyable this time of year solid B to one of my favorite breweries .

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Anchor brewing - merry Christmas happy new year

‘‘Tis the season . Nice blend of malt and mild chocolate . Similar to a porter but not quite as heavy as most . It goes down pretty easy and is enjoyable this time of year solid B to one of my favorite breweries .
I can't make fun of these beers with "nice blends" of flavor anymore since I tried Russian Standard Gold and liked it... but let me guess, you don't drink this really cold, right? ;)

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't make fun of these beers with "nice blends" of flavor anymore since I tried Russian Standard Gold and liked it... but let me guess, you don't drink this really cold, right? ;)

Cold as ice buddy. By the way when I was at the liquor store the other day I saw a 1L bottle of the RS Platinum.
Apparently there is the standard, gold, and of course platinum. It was reasonably priced, and definitely a better
buy than the 750 of the gold I got. Which has only a few drinks in it left. Have you tried the platinum ? I'll probably
buy if it's a good choice. Think it was $39.99 for the 1L. $32 or so for the 750.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Cold as ice buddy. By the way when I was at the liquor store the other day I saw a 1L bottle of the RS Platinum.
Apparently there is the standard, gold, and of course platinum. It was reasonably priced, and definitely a better
buy than the 750 of the gold I got. Which has only a few drinks in it left. Have you tried the platinum ? I'll probably
buy if it's a good choice. Think it was $39.99 for the 1L. $32 or so for the 750.

Russian Standard and Russian Standard Platinum are both available in 1.75L bottles which, if you like the brand, is a MUCH better price/L than buying the 750ml bottles, I mean a LOT cheaper.

I do like the Platinum better because it does taste "cleaner" than the base brand due to more distilling/filtering, but honestly, if you're mixing it with something, you might not really taste that difference (but it is noticeable).

Gold has the same level of distilling/filtering as the base RS, just the added flavors and it only comes in the smaller bottle, but I really was surprised at how much I liked the taste.

I've never tried the Imperia, never looked for it either.

Here's a breakdown of the differences between the labels:
  • Russian Standard Vodka
    • Original product launched in 1998
    • Raw ingredients: winter grains from Russian Steppes, glacial water from Lake Ladoga
    • Distilled four times and filtered four times through charcoal
  • Russian Standard Gold
    • Notes of vanilla, caramel, and spearmint
    • Added ingredient Siberian ginseng extract
  • Russian Standard Platinum
    • Higher-end product, launched 2001
    • Filtered additional two times through silver.
  • Imperia
    • The luxury brand, launched 2004
    • Distilled additional four times.
    • Filtered additional two times through quartz.
    • Luxury brand

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the info Detroit. I didn't notice the platinum was 1.75. I just figured it was 1L. If there
was a bigger bottle of the gold I would've scooped it up on the spot . I'll more than likely swing
by over the weekend , and get the large platinum . The one thing I like about Vodka is the good
ones tend to be cheaper than the comparable bourbon/whiskeys out there. It's a no brainer for me
when browsing.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Image1544795117.170288.jpg

Wicked weed pernicious IPA

Lemon, resin, slightly bitter. Damn this is good.
A little bit of a pine taste that is quite fitting this time of year . It’s a taste explosion that you don’t want to end , and find it difficult to have only one . Fantastic brew here . A+

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Image1544795552.063430.jpg

Bells third coast old ale

This is considered a strong winter ale . I’m a big fan of these guys, and this one doesn’t disappoint. Strong malt, caramel , heavy alcohol that isn’t particularly well hidden . The beer doesn’t go down easy that’s for sure. Even at an 11 ounce pour it took longer to drink than the wicked weed . Despite it being almost half the amount . This is the usual suspects of beers . I had a great time with it and really enjoyed it. But seeking it out once more just isn’t practical. B+

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Had this over the holidays. My wife wanted to surprise me with an assortment of beers and this was part of the group.

My first of this genre. At first smell it was very weedy, as the name would suggest. One of the most delicious beers I’ve had recently, but felt like a pothead with every sip. Was weird.

upload_2018-12-29_23-13-19.jpeg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had this over the holidays. My wife wanted to surprise me with an assortment of beers and this was part of the group.

My first of this genre. At first smell it was very weedy, as the name would suggest. One of the most delicious beers I’ve had recently, but felt like a pothead with every sip. Was weird.

View attachment 12825

Yeah I like that one. It’s pretty good on tap. What else did your wife get for you?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah I like that one. It’s pretty good on tap. What else did your wife get for you?

Outside of the 420-strain and a 21st Amendment Tasty IPA that was really good, none really stood out, so I can't recall them all. One was a Prophets of Outrage American Imperial Stout, which was good but not special.

She was also talked into getting me some random saison, which by all accounts the kitchen sink really enjoyed.

And then I have a friend who's a distributor that just brought me a random six. He's more of a European guy, so it's a bunch of Belgian Quads and a few darker lagers that I haven't tried. But I noticed there was a mead in the group. First time actually seeing one of those. Can't bring myself to try it.:lol:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Outside of the 420-strain and a 21st Amendment Tasty IPA that was really good, none really stood out, so I can't recall them all. One was a Prophets of Outrage American Imperial Stout, which was good but not special.

She was also talked into getting me some random saison, which by all accounts the kitchen sink really enjoyed.

And then I have a friend who's a distributor that just brought me a random six. He's more of a European guy, so it's a bunch of Belgian Quads and a few darker lagers that I haven't tried. But I noticed there was a mead in the group. First time actually seeing one of those. Can't bring myself to try it.:lol:
You haven’t tried the mead? Come on, bro.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Image1546646276.760796.jpg

Elysian dayglow

Really good just not quite as good an IPA as their space dust . I’m sure Bart is a big fan of this one being a Washington brewery . More of a summer beer by the pool for me . It’s refreshing and pretty similar to other west coast IPA’s with hints of resin and tropical fruit.
Solid B

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Image1546646594.434828.jpg

Elysian split shot

This stout is good . So good I got halfway through it before remembering to take the pic . Caramel and coffee are present in a not so over overpowering way. It’s really smooth , but doesn’t quite hit the level of the left hand milk stout even though it gives it a fight .
B+

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Collective Arts Life In The Clouds India Pale Ale.

New England style IPA. One of the best I’ve had recently. Great beer with a ton of character. Light, hazy flavor that draws you in, but finishes really clean. Had one on tap and one from can—both great. Definite recco.

upload_2019-1-12_21-58-13.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.