Beer reviews

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Okay so the limited edition RS is good. Doesn't taste any different to me though than the platinum.
I recommend sticking with that one at 1.75.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not a beer, but worthy of mention

iu

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Image1550790624.615110.jpg

Jekyll convergent haze IPA

Such a shame . If you like sucking on lemons this ones for you. Too bitter in my opinion as I’m typically not a fan of sour beers . The lingering taste of grapefruit only makes matters worse.

D minus

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Image1550795143.060603.jpg

Founders Blushing monk

If you mixed apple juice , cranberry juice,vodka and hpnotiq you might come up with this concoction . To call it a disappointment is an understatement . It’s sweet as hell and extremely bitter. This is the Brock Berlin of beers . Highly sought after but ultimately falls flat on its face . It’s disgusting . Even the aroma smells of regurgitated cranberry juice . Founders is a great brewer, but this beer is absolutely dirty diaper dreadful . Giant F.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Founders is usually pretty good, actually damn good, so I'm a little surprised. I probably wouldn't be a fan of anything with the name 'monk' in it anyway as they tend to be sweet, over-malty, fizzy belgian-style beers.
Had a Founders CBS this past weekend in Portland while visiting my brother - he's probably a bigger beer geek than you, bait. :lol:
This one was outstanding.
Founders-CBS-Imperial-Stout-750ML-BTL_600x.JPG

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Jekyll convergent haze IPA

Such a shame . If you like sucking on lemons this ones for you. Too bitter in my opinion as I’m typically not a fan of sour beers . The lingering taste of grapefruit only makes matters worse.

D minus
Most hazy IPAs suck ass. I've had a couple of decent ones, but that's it. We went to Breakside brewing in Portland over the weekend and they had 6 IPAs on tap, so we tried a flight of all 6, 2 of which were hazy. The 2 hazy ones were the worst. And I recently learned that some brewers put flour, yes flour, into their beers just to make them hazy. I'm a home-brewer and I have a rule that you don't put anything into your beer unless it improves the quality - too much risk involved for all the hard work (and $$) you put into it. Instead of flour, maybe they just shouldn't filter the beer before bottling, or allow for a little bottle-conditioning to get a little haze into it.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We also had a Deschutes Abyss (2013) over the weekend and was likely the best beer we had. I've had it in my pantry now for several years and it was outstanding. My brother said he could probably get close to $100 for it through his beer geek contacts (original cost in 2013 was $4.99). I still have a 2014 version in the pantry - anybody wanna buy it? Bidding starts at $99. :lol:
Deschutes_TheAbyss_2013Reserve-_1CC-.jpg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We also had a Deschutes Abyss (2013) over the weekend and was likely the best beer we had. I've had it in my pantry now for several years and it was outstanding. My brother said he could probably get close to $100 for it through his beer geek contacts (original cost in 2013 was $4.99). I still have a 2014 version in the pantry - anybody wanna buy it? Bidding starts at $99. :lol:
Deschutes_TheAbyss_2013Reserve-_1CC-.jpg

Good stuff Bart . Ballast point would be a discount at that price

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Founders is usually pretty good, actually damn good, so I'm a little surprised. I probably wouldn't be a fan of anything with the name 'monk' in it anyway as they tend to be sweet, over-malty, fizzy belgian-style beers.
Had a Founders CBS this past weekend in Portland while visiting my brother - he's probably a bigger beer geek than you, bait. :lol:
No doubt, the bomb.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Funny that you say this. The reason I gave it a shot is because it’s classified as a Belgian specialty . Combine that with it being a Founders I was pretty excited to give it a go. What a disappointment it was. You can’t even get a hint of it being a Belgian brew because the cranberry/ apple/ raspberry regurgitation taste that overwhelms .I’m usually never one not to finish a brew , and although I tried I just couldn’t finish the blushing monk . Beyond terrible .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Gatorbait25

This is one I’ve had and really enjoyed but it was years ago and didn’t want to review it until I found it again. Bart and the other West Coaster’s probably have much better access to it, but it’s been a rarity for me. I’ve only seen it in Napa until today. Just a really solid IPA that hits it all. Big fan.

upload_2019-4-3_17-54-9.jpeg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why is it beer is always better from a bottle than a can?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb