Beer reviews

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I did briefly. A lot of the breweries add lactose for the haziness. Maybe it’s that, but something changed with me and I just don’t enjoy them at all anymore.
I like Colorado PAs a lot. They swear it’s the “snow melt” that makes them better...

Cigar City puts out some nice beers. I always buy Jai Alai when it’s on sale. Sculpin IPA (habanero too) are some of my favorites.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I like Colorado PAs a lot. They swear it’s the “snow melt” that makes them better...

Cigar City puts out some nice beers. I always buy Jai Alai when it’s on sale. Sculpin IPA (habanero too) are some of my favorites.

Water is huge with lagers and lighter beers, so it could be the snow.

On Ballast Point, it’s become almost impossible to find over here, from my experience. But the grapefruit sculpin and unfiltered were go-to summer beers for me.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Water is huge with lagers and lighter beers, so it could be the snow.

On Ballast Point, it’s become almost impossible to find over here, from my experience. But the grapefruit sculpin and unfiltered were go-to summer beers for me.
Any good Virginia beers I should be aware of? Moving there next.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
IPA from Wander Brewing out of Bellingham. Okay, after drinking it, I can say it had a moderately hefty malt backbone but enough hops to overcome it, nice balance. 6.8% ABV in a 16oz can. I’d buy it again and as a matter of fact I think I’ve bought one before. :bandit: I’ll still give it a B+, and would buy again.
Image1592957325.573367.jpg

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Had a quality IPA from a local brewer Scofflaw,called Human highlight. Mix of citrus and pine . Definitely the type of beer enjoyed with a good burger . I took a pic but my iPhone 8 is acting up and not letting me post them through the app. Solid B

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Most any beer, ice cold, is drinkable and enjoyable.

When I was like 16, we used to get homeless people to go into a convenience store to get us beer. Most of the time we were at their mercy on brand, plus didn't have a ton to spend anyway. So we'd end up with a 32oz of Schlitz or Old English quarts, their go-to. And as you say, the first few sips actually weren't that terrible, especially OE. But toward the bottom...oof...dreadful.

I've always said the difference between lagers and ales is that, if you have to, an ales can be consumed closer to room temperature and still be tolerable. Lagers have to be cold. Considering some of us are less likely to sit and drink an entire beer without getting interrupted, but rather often find ourselves helping to build a lego set, send someone to their room, or mediate a feud over a skateboard, ales(IPA's) usually come in handy.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When I was like 16, we used to get homeless people to go into a convenience store to get us beer. Most of the time we were at their mercy on brand, plus didn't have a ton to spend anyway. So we'd end up with a 32oz of Schlitz or Old English quarts, their go-to. And as you say, the first few sips actually weren't that terrible, especially OE. But toward the bottom...oof...dreadful.

I've always said the difference between lagers and ales is that, if you have to, an ales can be consumed closer to room temperature and still be tolerable. Lagers have to be cold. Considering some of us are less likely to sit and drink an entire beer without getting interrupted, but rather often find ourselves helping to build a lego set, send someone to their room, or mediate a feud over a skateboard, ales(IPA's) usually come in handy.
Agreed, more flavors come out as beer warms, sometimes for the worse. My definition of a good beer: if you fall asleep on the couch without finishing your beer but you can get up in the morning and drink it right where it sat all night and it tastes just fine, good actually.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Beer, in a bottle, ice cold... See how that works fellas?
Best beer out there. I drink others, but you can never go wrong with an icy cold Stella.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Can’t say I ever had to rely on bums to buy beer when in high school . I still remember the name on the first and only fake ID I ever had . I was Tex Goodman from Kentucky . I would always say I was in town to see family and ridiculous as it was it worked every time .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Can’t say I ever had to rely on bums to buy beer when in high school . I still remember the name on the first and only fake ID I ever had . I was Tex Goodman from Kentucky . I would always say I was in town to see family and ridiculous as it was it worked every time .

You’ve never lived then. Should definitely try it some time. Nothin better than checking your privilege, finding someone at the shaded side of a convenience store, and then sitting around drinking a quart of malt liquor in the heat with a homeless guy. It’s how I imagine cocktail hour at that neighborhood in Minneapolis.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Had a First Cast IPA tonight. Made by elevation beer co. Really different. Bought a six pack so I’ll try to describe it after a few more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.