Beer reviews

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@soflagator

Glad I got to give this one a try . It’s great but is it worth the hype and cost ? The four pack of tall boys is the same price as a 12 pack of two hearted . My money says no but glad I gave it a shot . Great citrus and pineapple aroma . The taste is similar. Overall it’s very nicely done .

06F283F8-DA05-49B7-8728-FE8828DA22A8.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Gatorbait25

I've only had that one once. The regular pale ale is really good as well and what I thought was worth searching for. You're right though. Both are stupid expensive. Almost like Buffalo Trace, one of their beers won some award, or placed highly, and they took off. Think it was some dry hopped variation. Never had that one.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@soflagator

Glad I got to give this one a try . It’s great but is it worth the hype and cost ? The four pack of tall boys is the same price as a 12 pack of two hearted . My money says no but glad I gave it a shot . Great citrus and pineapple aroma . The taste is similar. Overall it’s very nicely done .

View attachment 34947

Had that at my brothers when in the Ozarks. Not normally a fan of hazy, but King Sue was good. It was my Sister’s favorite. Love the can design.
But I’d take two-hearted all day.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Had that at my brothers when in the Ozarks. Not normally a fan of hazy, but King Sue was good. It was my Sister’s favorite. Love the can design.
But I’d take two-hearted all day.

Still the king, imo.

upload_2021-8-29_10-41-58.jpeg

I had this recently and thought it was a really good beer. The collaboration thing is hit or miss to me, but it was a solid IPA.

upload_2021-8-29_10-43-16.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s officially Fall. I’ve had the Founders Oktoberfest and loved it. Trying the Bell’s tomorrow. Probably the most underrated genres in beer, imo.

upload_2021-10-1_23-22-19.jpeg

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Been saving these up; the wife says they have to go. 5 IPAs from Stoup, 2 from Old Schoolhouse, 2 from Reuben’s, one from Hellbent. :yum: Image1639270243.927126.jpg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Been awhile but think I just had the best beer ever . It’s the founders maple fudge stout . Just a perfect combo of all the ingredients . Not too much chocolate . Maple or alcohol. Just a great blend and world class beer . Dare I say the beer ever .

B6F61C55-FD26-48F8-8ECB-73AF75FEE583.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I had this a few weeks back and have been meaning to share. A brewery called 7 Hermits in Colorado. The English Mild was the only one I tried but it was great. Could be situational as I was having a great time and on vacation, but this beer was cleanest malty beers I’ve had in a while.

upload_2022-1-29_21-8-30.jpeg

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
@soflagator

View attachment 34947
I had their Pompeii IPA on draft last night. Was exceptional, I mean extraordinary. I rarely ever, EVER, get a second of anything, always opting to try something else. Last night the idea to deviate didn't even enter my mind. Brand is Toppling Goliath.

Wife and I walked next door to the liquor store part of the bar where they sell everything to find a six pack after we finished dinner. Found it and the one you had immediately, in a 4 pack... for 19 dollars each.

This ends the story of that beer...

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I had their Pompeii IPA on draft last night. Was exceptional, I mean extraordinary. I rarely ever, EVER, get a second of anything, always opting to try something else. Last night the idea to deviate didn't even enter my mind. Brand is Toppling Goliath.

Wife and I walked next door to the liquor store part of the bar where they sell everything to find a six pack after we finished dinner. Found it and the one you had immediately, in a 4 pack... for 19 dollars each.

This ends the story of that beer...

That’s the beer that put them on the map and was ranked something like 3rd overall in 2020. I too am out on $20 4-pack. Great story though because you at least got to try it. I had it in Destin, so it must be a regional thing because I’ve never seen it on tap anywhere else.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That’s the beer that put them on the map and was ranked something like 3rd overall in 2020. I too am out on $20 4-pack. Great story though because you at least got to try it. I had it in Destin, so it must be a regional thing because I’ve never seen it on tap anywhere else.
I'd never heard of it but talked to a couple of buddies afterwards who had tried the king sue. Brewery is in Decorah, Iowa. It's fantastic beer. But unless it's going to get me drunk, then finish me off sexually, I'm not paying 20 dollars.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This won’t sit well with Ox, but it’s officially spring and I decided to have a few alcoholic drinks this afternoon. So for @GatorBart and @Gatorbait25. Like most stone, this is a solid poolside beer. Only knock is the 6.7. I’d love to have 3-4 but I also like to be able to speak coherently.

upload_2022-4-3_14-54-55.jpeg

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This won’t sit well with Ox, but it’s officially spring and I decided to have a few alcoholic drinks this afternoon. So for @GatorBart and @Gatorbait25. Like most stone, this is a solid poolside beer. Only knock is the 6.7. I’d love to have 3-4 but I also like to be able to speak coherently.

I've had that, like you said, a good poolside beer. 6 to 7% ABV is the norm around here, if not a little low. Routinely drinking 7 to 8% ABVs out here. Nobody listens too me anyway. :eek:ldman:
Seriously though, just got back from an 8 day driving/drinking trip with my brother, bringing his beer stash from San Antonio to Portland (where he's moving back to). We hit 17 breweries and 6 ale houses along the way. Even found a small restaurant in Trinidad Colorado for lunch that had Two Hearted on tap. We were thrilled.
My brother's stash consists of over 50 boxes, 600+ bottles, ~2,000 pounds and worth anywhere from $20 to $30K. I kid you not - mostly barrel aged stouts and other big beer styles in the 12-20% ABV range. Some he bought for as low as $5 when they were first distributed, now worth $100-$200. As soon as we got to Portland we loaded it all into a cold storage locker he had pre-rented. It was an awesome trip, going through Carlsbad, Cloudcroft (surprise brewery recommended by a ranger at Carlsbad Caverns), Albuquerque, Santa Fe, 2 nights in Denver (saw our other brother and niece - hit 5 breweries one day) , Jackson Hole (5 breweries that day as well) and Boise (we had a blast in Boise). Finished it off at Double Moutain in Hood River, having pizza at the bar. We were lucky to have it a good weather window. We saw snow, but temps were only below freezing in the early morning in a few places. Hell, it was 80 in Denver when we arrived last Monday. I'd do it all over again starting tomorrow. Oh, best beer was 100 Giants Double IPA from 4 Noses in Denver (Broomfield).
4-noses-brewing-100-giants-16oz-can-2Rt.png

:bart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.