Berlin vs. Grossman

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I was living in DC at that time and the Maryland fans I knew were not all that confident (and they are not huge football fans to begin with). If I recall correctly, they had gotten beaten, albeit in a game that was close for a while, by an FSU squad that the Gators handled pretty easily. (Pretty sure it was the only common opponent.) They were basically, just kind of happy to be there. Course the knuckleheads who actually traveled down to Miami, were probably of a different mindset. (True story: Mrs G's freshman year at UF, they played Maryland @ BHG. She saw some sign exhorting the Gators to beat the Terps, but thought it said "Twerps." When some corrected her, she asked what's a "Terp" and none of the fans around her knew; wasn't until later she found out what a Terrapin was. To this day she thinks it's a stupid mascot.)

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
W........it was an ugly game for them MADE up for that debacle in the Peach Bowls many years ago when they had Daryl Talley..........
The 1981 Peach Bowl was a post-season college football bowl game between the West Virginia Mountaineers and the Florida Gators. The game took place on December 31, 1981, resulting in a West Virginia win over Florida 26-6.

Yep Spurrier made up for a number of bad bowl performances. I have long thought that winning the 1994 Sugar Bowl was important in January 1997. I think the pressure heading into that game would have been even a bit more intense had UF never won a Sugar Bowl before, but the 1994 UWVa Sugar Bowl game took care of that.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Those WVa fans were amongst the worst I have ever had the misfortune to encounter--arrogant, aggressive, and argumentative.

Despite them, it was one of my favorite road trips of all time. We couldn't find cheap hotel rooms so we contacted Tulane University housing. Their dorms were empty because it was between sessions. We paid them a few bucks and got the keys to a 3 or 4 bedroom dorm suite. Had to bring our own sheets and towels but it was awesome. We were able to ride the trolley to the Quarter and back. For NYE, we staked out a table at Pat O's and held court all night. It was legendary.

Dunno who Corch ran into, but the WVa fans I ran into on that trip sucked ass. Lotsa dudes looking to scrap, lotsa big talk. The more I think about it, the more I am sure they were the worst fans I've ever encountered. I mean across the board. None of them redeemed the group. I've had run-ins with 'Canes, 'Noles, Dawgs, Vols, Cats, etc. but there were always a few really great fans that made up for some of the trash. Not with WVa. Not at that game. I've gotten friendly with some of them later in life but I can say I did not meet a single WVa fan I liked that entire road trip.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Any team full of hillbilly rednecks whose team name ends in -Eers are always going to be the worst fans.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always assumed Insti was a younger dude. He had an 11 YO in 94... he must be in his 60s. Maybe over time he got a couple screws loose upstairs...
I'm in my 60s. I can attest to the factuality of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator