Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
So can an artist cover themselves?

LOVE this version of Light of Day that Springsteen wrote for the Joan Jett/Michael J Fox movie (I think while he was in a contract dispute with his record company.)

Also his versions of Fire (recorded first by the Pointer Sisters) and Because the Night (recorded first by Patti Smith.) Those were treasured bootlegs and live show memories until they showed up on his “Live 1975-1985” album set.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reconnected with this cover when it was played with the credits after an early episode in season one of a Stranger Things.

Susannah Hoffs has aged well - maybe the best of any celebrity.

She has aged very well indeed but she had a lot to work with from the beginning.
d280e0f1cdc176e547a7f6d76c8f6416.jpg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Being an old Zepplin fan, I really have enjoyed Train's covers...

Hard for me to believe they could do justice based on what I'd heard from them previously. The music is really good to me.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
So can an artist cover themselves?

LOVE this version of Light of Day that Springsteen wrote for the Joan Jett/Michael J Fox movie (I think while he was in a contract dispute with his record company.)

Also his versions of Fire (recorded first by the Pointer Sisters) and Because the Night (recorded first by Patti Smith.) Those were treasured bootlegs and live show memories until they showed up on his “Live 1975-1985” album set.

I never knew "Because the Night" was his song until I heard it on the "Winterland" bootleg in the early 80s. Natalie Merchant and 10K Maniacs also covered it in a decent version on their MTV unplugged special.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thats cool as schit
You don't know them? If that one gave you gooseflesh, this one will really get you:

More:

Throw in some Rob Halford:

Best with some Black Rifle Coffee and maybe a shot of Jameson.

They got some heavier death metal stuff too. Not really my thing.

Last edited:

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Being an old Zepplin fan, I really have enjoyed Train's covers...

Hard for me to believe they could do justice based on what I'd heard from them previously. The music is really good to me.

Being and old Zeppelin fan you should like this one as well. Done in front of the legends themselves, with Bonhams son on the drums.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Is it stll considered a cover if original members are contributing, and has there ever been a drummer who looks like their having more fun flailing away than Grohl?

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Is it stll considered a cover if original members are contributing, and has there ever been a drummer who looks like their having more fun flailing away than Grohl?

Grohl went to my high school for a couple of years. It is my understanding that it did not end well.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Joan Baez cover of the Band's "The Night they Drove Ole Dixie Down." Even though she changed the lyrics and called herself Virgil.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Elvis Costello cover of the Dusty Springfield song although she wasn't the original artist either.

Wow- awesome. Elvis can be a crooner when he wants to.
And with Burt at the piano, I assume it’s one of his arrangements.
Good stuff.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
damn - Henk can bring the heat on this one too.
Definitely an operatic background.
He played the phantom in the dutch version of the phantom of the opera. He and Floor performed it on this show in fact. It was pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb