Best current head coach?

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
So with all the hoopla about Saban or Meyer being the best, Carroll is getting ready for his next Super Bowl. SO, in college and pros, who is the best head football coach (currently) ? Anyone find it amazing that Carroll leaves a successful program and goes to a sub par Seattle and wins one and perhaps now two Super Bowls?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody could win with that defense. He also sank ucs then left before the sanctions came. He's a dick

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n160919 said:
Belichick and it ain't even close.

Yes, he has been really good in the NFL (one of the greats). Never coached a down in college. I just think it is a neat, rare skill set to win at both levels. (college and pros)

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n160912 said:
Anybody could win with that defense. He also sank ucs then left before the sanctions came. He's a dick

someone has to put the defense together. More so than that is keeping that defense together. picking that longshot QB wasn't such a bad coaching move either

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Urban Meyer could definitely be in this discussion...if it weren't for the meltdown at UF he would pretty much have an unblemished coaching career. He could probably win in the NFL too.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n160946 said:
Urban Meyer could definitely be in this discussion...if it weren't for the meltdown at UF he would pretty much have an unblemished coaching career. He could probably win in the NFL too.
I think Meyer would be successful in the nfl too. I don't necessarily think his system would work in the nfl but he'd probably surround himself with good coaches and adapt

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n160954 said:
I think Meyer would be successful in the nfl too. I don't necessarily think his system would work in the nfl but he'd probably surround himself with good coaches and adapt
yeah that's exactly what i was thinking...his system wouldn't but i could see him develop an offense similar to the seahawks and he'd surround himself with a good staff and focus on winning all phases just like he always does.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I prefer to rate NFL and college coaches separately. In my world ...

NFL
Belichick
Carroll
Harbaugh

COLLEGE
Saban
Meyer
Patterson

Somebody mentioned Carroll being the beneficiary of a great defense, as if he had nothing to do with organizing his own defense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n160993]I prefer to rate NFL and college coaches separately. In my world ...

NFL
Belichick
Carroll
Harbaugh

COLLEGE
Saban
Meyer
Patterson

Somebody mentioned Carroll being the beneficiary of a great defense, as if he had nothing to do with organizing his own defense.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this with the exception of Patterson. You'd rank him above SOS, Miles, Stoops or even Malzhan?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n161053 said:
I agree with this with the exception of Patterson. You'd rank him above SOS, Miles, Stoops or even Malzhan?

Above Stoops and Malzhan, I would. Patterson has built something at TCU with talent Stoops and Malzhan wouldn't even consider taking. But not before SOS, as a Game Day coach I don't know if anyone is as good play to play and making adjustments as SOS still is.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n161061 said:
Above Stoops and Malzhan, I would. Patterson has built something at TCU with talent Stoops and Malzhan wouldn't even consider taking. But not before SOS, as a Game Day coach I don't know if anyone is as good play to play and making adjustments as SOS still is.

I hear ya, but recruiting is such a large part of coaching at the collegiate level that I don't think using the lesser talent thing is a valid argument. :dunno:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n161070 said:
I hear ya, but recruiting is such a large part of coaching at the collegiate level that I don't think using the lesser talent thing is a valid argument. :dunno:

I'm just judging coaching ability by my statement. Some school recruit them selves with equal talent. Oklahoma with Stoops or Spurrier would get equal talent. Spurrier would do more with that talent. edit: In my opinion.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n160993]I prefer to rate NFL and college coaches separately. In my world ...

NFL
Belichick
Carroll
Harbaugh

COLLEGE
Saban
Meyer
Patterson

Somebody mentioned Carroll being the beneficiary of a great defense, as if he had nothing to do with organizing his own defense.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, and I'd put Spurrier at a really close 4th only because I don't think he is currently as good a coach as he was a decade ago. What Patterson has done at TCU is impressive even though his is missing the rings. His conference affiliation, including this year, is the reason why he doesn't have a national title yet.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

NFL
Belichick
Carroll
Harbaugh

COLLEGE
Saban
Meyer
Patterson

I understand what you are saying, part of my point was Carroll did it at both levels. That's a very small club to be part of.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SOS came one fingertip away from splitting with Creyer, with USC level talent (that used to be below our level). He needs to retire.

Patterson? Nice coach. USA/MWC championships are nice, I guess. However, he hasn't even won a BCS conference title much less a MNC. (The BS "cochamp" this year despite Baylor winning head to head I won't count and neither did the playoff committee.) Way too premature to call him a top tier coach and at his age premature seems like the wrong term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb