Best guitar solo

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Lots of great guitar solos out there over the years, but which one would you consider the best of all? Hard to pick since there are so many.

List could be interesting depending on taste and might be fun to see everyone's opinion. It could be best short lick or could be extended riff or whatever you want it to be.

Having said that, there is one I put above all others. David Gilmour live at Gdansk....Comfortably Numb

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Three that shaped my youth-

1. Eddie’s Eruption
2. Page - Stairway to Heaven
3. Ronnie Van Zane’s “mules” *- Freebird

*mules being Rossington, Collins and Gaines

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

1. Eddie’s Eruption

*mules being Rossington, Collins and Gaines

We...you and I cut our teeth to much of the same music. Also.. I would add Betts and Allman on One Way Out....at the Fillmore of course.

Last edited:

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
We...you and I cut our teeth to much of the same music. Also.. I would add Betts and Allman on One Way Out....at the Fillmore of course.
ABB was my favorite band for many years back in the high school days. Fillmore East was THE iconic album of the day and everything on it was great. My favorite Betts/Allman guitar tune however was Blue Sky. The first time I heard it was the actual first day Eat A Peach hit record stores so I bought it immediately....went home having obviously never heard anything on it since it was only a few hours old. Plugged in my headphones and when I heard that first of two guitar solos begin, it was orgasmic to me. Engineering was great on the album because that lead was so absolutely clean and smooth I was going nuts. The transition where both guys were playing ratcheted it up a notch and then the second lead came in and I totally lost it. Was transported to heaven that day. ;) Absolutely was mesmerized by that for years to come.

Oh do I miss those days.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
ABB was my favorite band for many years back in the high school days. Fillmore East was THE iconic album of the day and everything on it was great. My favorite Betts/Allman guitar tune however was Blue Sky. The first time I heard it was the actual first day Eat A Peach hit record stores so I bought it immediately....went home having obviously never heard anything on it since it was only a few hours old. Plugged in my headphones and when I heard that first of two guitar solos begin, it was orgasmic to me. Engineering was great on the album because that lead was so absolutely clean and smooth I was going nuts. The transition where both guys were playing ratcheted it up a notch and then the second lead came in and I totally lost it. Was transported to heaven that day. ;) Absolutely was mesmerized by that for years to come.

Oh do I miss those days.

For your viewing pleasure. Circa 1982 at the UF Bandshell.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Oh do I miss those days.
Melissa and I'm No Angel are on my favorite songs lists...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
same here... and Jessica
Disclaimer! This post is FULL of comments that I fully expect the fellas to jump ALL over (I would!) with "the ghey" comments! :lol:

When I was a Platoon Leader in Korea, my Platoon Sergeant was one of the few enlisted Vietnam vets still on active duty (he had a break in service for a few years in the 70's, then came back in). He had had two back to back tours in Vietnam with 1/9 Cav (Apocalypse Now/Robert Duval unit). He was highly decorated (2 Silver Stars, 1 Bronze w/V, 3 Purple Hearts) and was a VERY good NCO, but he was also a true functional alcoholic and I had to spend a LOT of time with him, especially at night, keeping him on the straight and narrow. We really bonded and highly respected each other. He was also an incredibly gifted, classically trained musician (flute and guitar) and he would make me listen to music with him at night endlessly (but I did enjoy the music and the conversation). That is where my memory of "Melissa" comes from. As a musician, the song that he made me listen to about 100,000 times (and he bought me their box set as a gift) was "Laughing" by CSN(&Y)... he said, "you will never hear that many perfectly tuned guitars playing together again." Still love that song too, listening to it now. RIP SFC Dunn.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Eruption is just flat out hard to top in my mind, and I am including stuff all the way back to the 60's. This isn't really a pure guitar solo, and yes, it's Journey, but EARLY Journey, and it's a song often overlooked, but I love the guitar work throughout Dixie Highway (and of course that he's talking about Detroit to Florida)...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Sticking with ghey 80's music, also love all the guitar work, and especially the solo starting at 3:35, in this one...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm pretty positive I'm remembering this correctly (can't find video, but remember watching it live, but Eddie Grant was on SNL as the musical guest. By the time they had him on the show, EVERYONE was pretty much tired/done hearing his songs from the radio and he sensed it... he broke out of his song into a phenomenal Hendrix like solo that was great.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Lots of great guitar solos out there over the years, but which one would you consider the best of all? Hard to pick since there are so many.

List could be interesting depending on taste and might be fun to see everyone's opinion. It could be best short lick or could be extended riff or whatever you want it to be.

Having said that, there is one I put above all others. David Gilmour live at Gdansk....Comfortably Numb

202 nationally on 247
I don't know if I'd commit to saying it's the best but Comfortably Numb was the first I thought of. Which is really two solos. There are one hour loops of the song on youtube. It's so complex that you can listen to it over and over again and find something new.

1. Eddie’s Eruption
That's a good list too. There's probably 100 candidates. Hard to pick a best.
Advice I heard years a go was don't solo unless you have something to say.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Wow....some good ones showing up in this thread so far. Here's one that isn't as clean as the studio version of it, but you can tell the talent Terry Kath had and how immersed into this when he played it. Mostly just some fast licks but he did a lot of varied stuff here. As noted, the studio is a cleaner version but in this he rips. Sadly he wasn't generally recognized for his talent like so many others were and are.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There’s quite a few that I enjoyed in my youth (and still do today), some of which have been mentioned. Others on the list (in no particular order)…
  • Mike Campbell covering “Oh Well”
  • Clapton on “The Core”
  • CSN “Suite Judy Blue Eyes (more rhythm than solo)
  • Angus Young “Back in Black”

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Hard to beat EVH. Beat it, eruption, damn near everything he did.

One that gets overlooked is Stone in Love by Journey. Could be it takes me back to a certain time with a certain person.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stone in Love by Journey
Fell in love to that song once. It wasn’t as hokey then as it sounds now. Journey and that song in particular was, as a friend once described, “righteous” to young folks in those days.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
One of the best bluesy solos I've seen is Clapton's Old Love. There are several different love vids of it but one of the best is the Hyde Park 96' concert....the other is Clapton's Old Love from his Friends Concert. This is definitely blues and a lot of people when thinking of hot solos automatically picture fast riffs and speed....really good blues can be mesmerizing as much when done well.

Last edited:

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Clicked in here, notification popped up about this thread, and Eruption starts playing on my youtube feed.

Coincidence? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator