Better Wear a Hardhat The Next Few Days

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Chinese Rocket Plunging Toward Earth Expected To Land This Weekend : NPR

There's a giant Chinese rocket booster hurtling toward the planet, and no one seems to know exactly when or where it's going to land.

The U.S. Space Command said it is tracking the whereabouts of the Chinese Long March 5B, a 23-ton piece of space debris, but that the exact entry point into Earth's atmosphere cannot be pinpointed until hours before its reentry, which is expected sometime around Saturday.

"We're tracking it. We're following it as closely as we can. It's just a little too soon right now to know where it's going to go or what if anything can be done about that," spokesman John Kirby told reporters earlier this week.

"I don't want to hypothesize or speculate about possible actions the department might or might not take here," Kirby added.

Under international guidelines, rockets are supposed to descend to Earth in a controlled way — typically "guided remotely using the last of its fuel to land in a specific, remote bit of ocean," according to LiveScience.

Space.com reports that the booster began its journey into space as recently as April 28, when it was used to launch the core module of China's new T-shaped space station into orbit.

Despite its size as one of the 10 largest objects to ever reenter Earth's atmosphere, scientists say it's unlikely that the now-uncontrolled booster will actually hit someone. Given the fact that most of the planet is covered in water, there's about a 70% chance the debris will fall into an ocean.

But that doesn't mean there's no risk for humans. In May 2020, another Long March 5B "became the heaviest orbiting thing to fall uncontrolled to Earth in nearly three decades," according to LiveScience. In that instance, the rocket crashed into the Atlantic Ocean and across some of West Africa, possibly damaging an inhabited village in Côte d'Ivoire.

The White House on Wednesday addressed the falling Chinese space junk, which is not the first to come plummeting out of the sky.

In the meantime, the 18th Space Control Squadron will be offering daily updates to the rocket body's location on Space-track.org.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
23246320678227.562ef4f182aa3.jpg

If the Chinese keep this up

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Do I mail our tax payment or not?

Seal and stamp it. Hold off on mailing though.

Hopefully not too high. Haven’t received my final number yet, but I don’t like the verbiage in emails up to this point. Just out of curiosity, are you in the market for like 4 undocumented hobo workers who have no backstory to work your farm?

I’m just asking.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Seal and stamp it. Hold off on mailing though.

Hopefully not too high. Haven’t received my final number yet, but I don’t like the verbiage in emails up to this point. Just out of curiosity, are you in the market for like 4 undocumented hobo workers who have no backstory to work your farm?

I’m just asking.

Funny you should ask. We are starting a new on the job training program. There is no pay but we will feed and house them for their work. They will be proficient in weed eating, mowing and pulling weeds by September and will send them back.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Funny you should ask. We are starting a new on the job training program. There is no pay but we will feed and house them for their work. They will be proficient in weed eating, mowing and pulling weeds by September and will send them back.

Sounds like an SVU episode, but sure. Whatever works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb