BHG upgrades

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm old. I don't care what the stadium looks like. Just reduce the capacity and the traffic and find a freaking way to avoid walking one hundred miles to the stadium. I go so seldom (read can't watch a crummy team in person) that when I think I've figured out how to beat the system, they've changed the system.

Decision: bigger big screen, better sound systems or really expensive convenient parking pass. The parking pass option is losing right now.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm old. I don't care what the stadium looks like. Just reduce the capacity and the traffic and find a freaking way to avoid walking one hundred miles to the stadium. I go so seldom (read can't watch a crummy team in person) that when I think I've figured out how to beat the system, they've changed the system.

Decision: bigger big screen, better sound systems or really expensive convenient parking pass. The parking pass option is losing right now.
Have you considered showing up earlier than 30 mins before kickoff? :wink2:

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
What????? The current building is night & day compared to what I went to games in the 90’s.
If by night and day you mean the lighting, I would agree, it's great with the newest technology. I will say I have been to only three basketball games and one gymnastics meet since the renovation, but what I observed was some of the worst finished concrete work in the seating areas I have ever seen (most likely caused by the unrealistic hard deadline) and still a few areas in the upper deck that barely has a veiw of the court. If you have different take than mine I'm surely open minded to listen.

I work in construction and project management for UF on a much smaller scale and contracts in the last few years are unbelievable, especially this year.
So my overall point was Stricklands statement of "most ambitious in SEC history" and the estimate of $200 million are hyperbole or ignorance and most Gator fans have little patience for either right now.

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
I take it none of you were around before the North end zone ws built. UF has made improvements to the stadium, its never going to be a billion dollar facility but it doesn't need to be. The touchdown terrace was done years ago and it is well received. The SW corner was built to add seating, the press boxes were added. You're forgetting that the primary focus is on the students, not us old bastards who want comfy chairs to sit in. As a player, you don't care what the stadium is like, you might look up into the stands but you're never 'up there'. The training facility is the direct benefit to the players, the players put people in the stands and those people put money into the program. I think they are going about things the right way.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I'm not an engineer or an expert on the stadium. I only know what I know. What I think I know is many of the items slated for upgrade likely could have, should have been addressed some time ago, around the time of the second failed hire after Urban Meyer.

Here we go again, playing big money catch-up in the game's most competitive conference and sounding reactionary about what we plan to do. When will we learn?
Well, we could just demolish BHG and start from scratch. Maybe get some help from the "If we built is today" show.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I take it none of you were around before the North end zone ws built. UF has made improvements to the stadium, its never going to be a billion dollar facility but it doesn't need to be. The touchdown terrace was done years ago and it is well received. The SW corner was built to add seating, the press boxes were added. You're forgetting that the primary focus is on the students, not us old bastards who want comfy chairs to sit in. As a player, you don't care what the stadium is like, you might look up into the stands but you're never 'up there'. The training facility is the direct benefit to the players, the players put people in the stands and those people put money into the program. I think they are going about things the right way.
I remember the bleacher seats. And 53000 total capacity. Get off my lawn.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
I remember the open ended north endzone. The touchdown terrace & sunshine seats were added Spurrier’s second year.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
I can remember driving on stadium and being able to see across BHG to University Ave

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I remember when it was called Fleming Field and we spanked Rollins 28-0. Ahh, Van Fleet smelled blood in the water that day.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can remember driving on stadium and being able to see across BHG to University Ave

There was a small road alongside the north end zone that took you to Yon Hall. Across the road to the north was the tennis courts and behind that the handball courts along University.

That whole area had a laid-back feel back in the day. Good times.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are we really b*tching about putting money into our football stadium? Really?!
Some of you m’fers are just flat out miserable bastards.

I must be a miserable bastard because I am b*tching because I realize that Scottie will now focus his attention and energy on sucking up to boosters for stadium funding while ignoring the true state of the program.

Although I appreciate the value of enhancing the fan experience, I can’t help but feel that he is putting the cart before the horse. Kinda like spending $65 million on the O’Dome renovations while hiring a lightweight to coach the team.

I would prefer that he allocate ALL of his energy on Napier and Golden and enhance these programs. The fans will come and they will be more likely to fund the enhancements.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I must be a miserable bastard because I am b*tching because I realize that Scottie will now focus his attention and energy on sucking up to boosters for stadium funding while ignoring the true state of the program.

Although I appreciate the value of enhancing the fan experience, I can’t help but feel that he is putting the cart before the horse. Kinda like spending $65 million on the O’Dome renovations while hiring a lightweight to coach the team.

I would prefer that he allocate ALL of his energy on Napier and Golden and enhance these programs. The fans will come and they will be more likely to fund the enhancements.
Since it will take about 17 years from now before these renovations are complete (and by then it will all be obsolete), it's probably best to start the process now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb