Bianchi: Meyer isn't Spurrier

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Mike BianchiContact ReporterOrlando Sentinel
Running off at the typewriter …

There’s one simple reason why Ohio State coach Urban Meyer is in the trouble he’s in right now: Because he’s not as honest and candid as another great former Florida Gators coach — Steve Spurrier.

As somebody wise once said, “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.”

The fact is, Meyer has always had honesty issues. I still remember when he left UF and Gators legend and NFL Hall-of-Famer Jack Youngblood ripped Meyer, whom, at the time, Youngblood considered one of his best friends.

“Very much so,” said Youngblood when I asked him then if he felt Meyer had been disingenuous. “When somebody tells me something to my face confidentially, I expect it to be the truth. When it turns out to not be the truth, that doesn’t sit you very high on my Christmas card list — put it that way.”
If only Urban Meyer were as honest as Steve Spurrier, he'd be free and clear

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd hate to see the results if we put lie detectors to the rest of the D-1 coaches.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I'd hate to see the results if we put lie detectors to the rest of the D-1 coaches.

Exactly Spurrier was honest and straight forward FOR A COACH OF A HIGH PROFILE PROGRAM. Spurrier certainly was not immune from coach speak from time to time.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
A Gator alumnus died and went to heaven. He was met at the gates of heaven by Saint Peter. Saint Peter took the Gator into this enormous room with a lot of huge wall clocks. Saint Peter said that every person who ever lived or is currently living has one of these clocks on the wall. The clock hands move one minute forward for every lie that the person has told. Saint Peter showed him the clock for George Washington. He said the hands on this clock sit straight up and down, 12 o'clock even, because Washington never told a lie. Saint Peter said "this is the only clock we've got like that. " All of the others had minutes that have ticked off with some having quite a few minutes even quite a few hours. The Gator alum said he would like to see the clock for Steve Spurrier. Saint Peter said "it's right over here. It reads one minute past 12. Steve told a lie one time." "That's interesting." said Mr. Gator "but could you show me the clock for Urban Meyer." "I can show it to you," said Saint Peter "but I'm going to have to take you down to the basement. We've got it down there because we're using it for a fan."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’d like to see Taggarts results.
07c.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sports writers are human. They play favorites and un-favorites. The pack was able to see through Urban's disingenuousness and hokey playbook early on. He could pull the wool over the fans and athletes but he wasn't going to be able to do the same with the state media, who continue to dog him to this day. Brett McMurphy cut his teeth at the Tampa Tribune.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ahhhhh, my annual reminder that I wish Coach Spurrier never had pro aspirations. Time to cut the cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.