Biggest Redzone Threat This Season

Who will be the most effective pass catcher in the red zone in 2018-19?

• Tyrie Cleveland

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Van Jefferson

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Lucas Krull

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Trevon Grimes

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Kyle Pitts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With the addition of numerous tall transfers and JUCO kids at WR and TE, we seemingly have a nice size advantage over most secondaries we will face this season. However, for the life of me, I can’t even remember the last time we attempted a fade pass in end zone this decade.

Who do you think our biggest aerial TD threat will be in the red zone this season? My money would be on Krull or Grimes (assuming he’s cleared). Those guys are too big and athletic to be consistently out jumped. I’m hoping Mullen has enough sense to exploit the size advantage of our pass catchers all over the field. Our guys should win more 50/50 balls in the air than they lose, especially in the red zone. Thoughts?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
None of the above.

The redzone threat will be whomever runs the wildcat, QB, Kadarius, RB, whomever.

Creyer and Mullinz dont pass in the redzone.

Saban: the problem with the spread is there is nothing to do once you get innthe redzone.

Creyer: that is when you run the single wing.

I cant find the quote at the moment. It was before the Auburn Cam Newton championship game. Can anyone find it?

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I put other. I’ll go with Toney.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Grimes will be eligible, so Cleveland is the pick. He's the only guy on the roster I've seen go up and secure a high ball.
Law is correct though since we will run far more than throw in the RZ.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First of all I only recognize one name on the list, which is sad. But even sadder than that is the omission of ham sammich.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
None of the above.

The redzone threat will be whomever runs the wildcat, QB, Kadarius, RB, whomever.

Saban: the problem with the spread is there is nothing to do once you get innthe redzone.

I cant find the quote at the moment. It was before the Auburn Cam Newton championship game. Can anyone find it?

I agree. I think one of the RB's (Scarlett perhaps?) will probably have the most TD's from the redzone. If I had to pick a pass catcher, then I'd choose a TE.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Ooops sorry!
No problem. But your post does bring out an interesting point...out of 34 touchdowns the MSU defense gave up last year 17 came from outside of the red zone. That means half of the TDs they gave up were for over 20 yards. I'm not sure that's a good thing. Probably speaks to the aggressiveness Grantham brings (also to the tendency to give up big plays).

cs_gator

Nov 12, 2017
None of the above.

I also agree. In the spring game Mullen ran Franks into the end zone a few times.

Also, I'm kind of more high on Franks as a runner than he is a passer. Him and Nick Fitzgerald have very similar frames, and Franks has shown up whenever he's been given the opportunity to run.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
None of the above.

Donkey the Tim Tebow jump pass will be attempted 3 times this season. Over/under?

leogator

May 5, 2018
I also agree. In the spring game Mullen ran Franks into the end zone a few times.

Also, I'm kind of more high on Franks as a runner than he is a passer. Him and Nick Fitzgerald have very similar frames, and Franks has shown up whenever he's been given the opportunity to run.
If only he can read the DE on those option plays.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why? I always felt like he had even more of a case than Van. That would be surprising.

Just gut instinct really. With Patterson cleared at UM, and the conference giving the okay on in conference transfer I think it's only a matter of time before Van is deemed eligible for 18'. Grimes on the other hand I really have no clue, just a guess given of the NCAA works.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just gut instinct really. With Patterson cleared at UM, and the conference giving the okay on in conference transfer I think it's only a matter of time before Van is deemed eligible for 18'. Grimes on the other hand I really have no clue, just a guess given of the NCAA works.

I have no insider info, but I think they both get cleared. It just feels like it is trending in that direction with a couple other transfers being cleared to play in recent days. Hopefully, we’ll find out sooner than later

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Miss State had 25 rushIng TDs to 13 passing TDs in the red zone but that QB of theirs was a true hard nose runner which we won't get with Franks.

We somehow were 3rd in the country in scoring % in the red zone but of course we didn't get there a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator