Billy Napier Intro Press Conference Thread; immediately followed with live Oxcast

JCTow

Nov 16, 2017
Well guys I'm real sorry to be a downer and everything but considering how psyched I am about this hire I figured an explanation is owed why I guess I won't be here for the festivities today.

My Dad just called to say my Mom has passed. I have to tidy up my affairs for the week so I can go over there to Clearwater now.

Kind of in shock.

Guess I will see you fellas later. Go Gators!!
Awe G I’m sorry to hear that brother. Prayers coming from me.

SwampChomp

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2017
Well guys I'm real sorry to be a downer and everything but considering how psyched I am about this hire I figured an explanation is owed why I guess I won't be here for the festivities today.

My Dad just called to say my Mom has passed. I have to tidy up my affairs for the week so I can go over there to Clearwater now.

Kind of in shock.

Heartfelt condolences on the passing of your mom GGG. In my families prayers and thoughts. God's peace and strength to you and your family.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
He only mentioned the salary pool once in passing but it’s obviously a big part of the arrangement that got him here. He seemed satisfied with what they’re giving him up front to do the job.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
He wants to get his staff and evaluating process in place first before trying to dig in on, as he said, “Players that are still out there, and transfers.”

There have been so many big coaching changes, his timing is fortuitous since the post-esd pool might be just a little larger this year.

even if he says “stars don’t matter”, and he did, I trust the dude to, you know, actually evaluate kids instead of handing off his phone to a staffer and going on vacation.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
He reeeaaalllllyyy wants to run the ball, but also said all three phases need to not just compliment one another, but each unit should be able to step up and carry the team if it finds itself in a shootout or defensive struggle. If that’s so he needs to ask SOS for some plays. His defenses are good at denying the other team momentum so I hope that translates here and we start seeing some great Gator d-lines again. Been a while.

I also like the idea of multiple coaches for linemen.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Says he’ll coach QBs like Butters did….

Says he wants to run the ball and control line of scrimmage (like Chump did)….

but he’s not vague and strange like Butters and not solely concerned with defense like Chump, so we can see what happens if he gets elite players in all phases of the game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Enjoyed my first podcast. Thanks for your time, Ox.
761ad46d113367.jpg

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well at least he talked like an overseer, someone that has a grasp of the entire operation, which has really only been at UF with Leyer when he cared. Not just the typical Butters/Cousin Eddie BS that we will go to practice and try and get better today. So for that I appreciate that he understands that football is a team sport and it takes a lot of work in a lot of areas to be successful. However they are only words, but at least he has the ability to show he is thoughtful. Regardless of record, recruiting rankings, etc., I want to see an improved quality of play. If that happens then it will show that the organizational process is in place.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
He reeeaaalllllyyy wants to run the ball, but also said all three phases need to not just compliment one another, but each unit should be able to step up and carry the team if it finds itself in a shootout or defensive struggle. If that’s so he needs to ask SOS for some plays. His defenses are good at denying the other team momentum so I hope that translates here and we start seeing some great Gator d-lines again. Been a while.

I also like the idea of multiple coaches for linemen.
I believe we are too fixated on running the ball. Great teams run the ball with great results, a function of owning the LOS. Watching yesterday their first drive for a TD was 5 running plays and 4 passes with a TD pass of 30 yards. Two more TD's were a QB run for about 40 yds and a RB ran a long TD. When they established the lead they pounded the rock and shortened the game. Sign me up for a winning formula like that. I agree with all the rest of your post and believe defense and special teams will be elite under his leadership. All in with Billy Ball.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I like that he associates Gator football with Spurrier.

Our brand made its bones with that dude, and Billy knows it.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I like that he associates Gator football with Spurrier.

Our brand made its bones with that dude, and Billy knows it.
If this guy is as attuned as it appears he will spend quality time chatting football junkie **** with the ole ballcoach

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019

Kind of in shock.

Sorry Gordo. Condolences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.