Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
For a multitude of reasons, I feel confident Billy Napier will be named the next coach within the next 72 hours. There has already been much hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over this hire, so I figured we could start a new thread about it. That way we can revisit it in a few years and see who was right and who was wrong.

This thread is only about Billy Napier, not any other coach. I would highly suggest you do what I did and start reading about Napier - you might find out it's a better choice than you first thought. Everyone wants a "splash" hire, but what I personally wanted was someone who could tear down and build the program back up from the bottom, and someone who would work relentlessly to get it done.

By all accounts, Napier is a football lunatic in all facets, including recruiting. He's obsessed with football. You aren't going to hear about him going on any vacations. He may have also pulled UF into the 21st century by expanding the staff by leaps and bounds, something I'm sure he's insisted on.

What the results on the field are remain to be seen, but I think we found a guy that's going to do something we've been insisting on: raze it and build it up the right way.

So, we've already got upset people making fun of his dialect, his looks, his wife and kids, whatever. Go for it - do what you do. I'm going to give him a chance.

Discuss.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I will remain open minded and at least give the guy a chance. If you're wrong I will expect a mea culpa and corrective action.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just want a guy who can recruit and instill discipline. If he expands the support staff, that's even better. He's not my first or second choice, but I don't really think the 1st two were realistic. If he does come here, I'll wait until we see what his staff looks like.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well I like Mustard on my Biscuit. Uh-huh.

In all seriousness, I don't know much about him so like you've said Ox. Started learning. And a lot of it is what you state. We need RECRUITING, a good CEO, and we need someone to build this place back up. And from what I see this guy is an "all in" or get off my staff kind of guy. I have no problem with loyalty. But errogance (Mullen) can have a negative effect (right Danny boy??). And I would also like a coach with a killer instinct to put an oppoent down on the turf and not play to their talent level.

So if this is in case the guy, I support him til I don't. I have received my christmas present....Mullen and staff gone. Especially Grantham.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Have any of you even bothered to read his resume? I mean, weren't people saying the same thing about Dabo. How's that working out.? Kirby isn't exactly Richard Attenborough either but he's putting foot in our azz.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
By all accounts, Napier is a football lunatic in all facets, including recruiting. He's obsessed with football. You aren't going to hear about him going on any vacations. He may have also pulled UF into the 21st century by expanding the staff by leaps and bounds, something I'm sure he's insisted on.
Speculative until an official announcement, but if Napier is the guy and the above is accurate, then it will at least be an upgrade over the last two turd burglars. I’d hope he would bring a good D coordinator with him if his O is as low octane as has been opined. If he out-recruits the last two slobs, that will be a much needed upgrade. I wouldn’t expect him or anyone else to come in and immediately win the East, but I would expect there to be signs that we are moving rapidly in that direction (e.g. no blowout loss to UGA, beat UK, UT, and LSU). Beating F$U has to be a priority as well. I think this is to be reasonably expected of who ever we hire.

As for the Sling Blade references…no problems on my end, as it is one of my favorite movies. In fact, if Napier would treat Kirby like Karl treated Jesse Dixon when he walked in on him banging his mom, then I would be more than pleased.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Again, I don't know if we'll win. What I do know is that Napier is going to put on a Hazmat suit and fumigate every damn system in our program, and that's a good thing.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If this is the case, I will give him a chance and support him. I am definitely not exited about his O, but he seems very organized and runs a tight ship. Hopefully this will translate into increased support staff and a better focus on recruiting. Also hope he would bring in an O Coordinater and consider a more aggressive passing blend into his scheme. Your not going to beat Ga and Bama by constantly running into their NFL defensive lines.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Also hope he would bring in an O Coordinater and consider a more aggressive passing blend into his scheme.
This is definitely the biggest question mark and what we're all wondering the most. How would Billy Napier use AR15? Enquiring minds want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.