Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
We need a big play gimmick that is not tacky or copied off someone else. Although maybe WiLLLLLLLLLLie's Turnover Backpack wasn't such a bad idea after all -- we could call it the Nap-sack. GET IT!?! :dance:

Nope, the backpack was a horrible! However, I’m thinking a non-cheesy option would be an O&B Gator football. If you steal the ball, you get to “keep” the O&B turnover ball while on the sidelines. Beats the stupid bling at da u and the like. A possible humorous add-on would be to have “I GOT THE BALL!!!” printed on the ball, referencing that scene from “The Replacements.” Classic scene.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Watch ALL of this, and I dare you to still be on the fence about Billy Napier.

Look how he leads and loves his players, and they follow and and love him. They are so silent and attentive when he speaks, in the locker room. Look what he has built there. Look at the love of each other that he has inspired in them. If he didn't, who did? That's what a great coach does.

I was wrong to even question if he and his very Southern ways will be relatable to "urban" players in South Florida and elsewhere. He will do just fine with them. I said that before I had watched all the videos I've watched and read all the articles I've read. My only complaint is that the food in the re-education camp was NOT good. :thumbdown:

Seriously I take back anything I said making fun of Sling Blade mhm hmmm. I reckon I want me some of them french fried potaters, and six or eight cans of that potted meat if you got any extra. I am all in. This is the just kind of coach we've been needing IMO.

Signed,
New Napier NutswinGGGer #1

One thing I noticed in here that I liked was that I actually saw the backup QB getting snaps. Mullen didn't believe in putting away inferior opponents to allow backups to get snaps. Looks like the new guys does, so that will be a welcome change.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nope, the backpack was a horrible! However, I’m thinking a non-cheesy option would be an O&B Gator football. If you steal the ball, you get to “keep” the O&B turnover ball while on the sidelines. Beats the stupid bling at da u and the like. A possible humorous add-on would be to have “I GOT THE BALL!!!” printed on the ball, referencing that scene from “The Replacements.” Classic scene.
Some good ideas. Also, I could get on board with some high fives and helmet slaps, then drinking some Gatorade, listening to their position coaches, and shutting the F* up until time to go back out and do it again. But I’m a traditionalist, so…

:)

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Jokes aside, what it's all about for those kids is the social media aspect of it. You watch a game where a team has one of those big play gimmicks, like UM's Turnover Chain, and when a player gets it their first priority is to get their picture taken with it. Then they upload that as their profile pic on all their apps. I promise you there are players, who don't go on to greater exploits at the next level, who will keep that as their profile pic for the whole rest of their lives lol.

Since that's what it's all about for them, one thing I was thinking about was some kind of big play photo booth. One of those portable ones like you see at wedding receptions. You can only ever go in it after a big play, then you go in there and strike a pose, and it takes your pic with some kind of special background or whatever. When the pic is taken, it is immediately put on blast on all Gator Football social media, and put up on the jumbotron if it's a home game.

So if it's a home game, after a big play (TD or TO) everybody will be watching the player run into the Big Play Booth, and wait for his picture to come up so they can see how he posed. I think the players would dig that.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Some good ideas. Also, I could get on board with some high fives and helmet slaps, then drinking some Gatorade, listening to their position coaches, and shutting the F* up until time to go back out and do it again. But I’m a traditionalist, so…

Don't stop there -- be honest and admit that you're still struggling to adjust to the introduction of the forward pass. ;)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
if it's a home game, after a big play everybody will be watching the player run into the Big Play booth, and wait for his picture to come up
They had a set up like that at “Swine Time” in Climax Ga one year. It was right next to the chitterlings and the funnel cakes.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Your numbers were a bit off, though.The difference was $1,892,000.00, distributed among 10 coaches. So on average Bama is paying their assistants $189,200.00 more per person than us. You don't think that's a significant difference?

And btw, Fuchs you for making me do math. :mad:;)
Maybe this comparison will put it into perspective since some posters can't see the relevance of a comparison to Alabama. Let's try it with a team we all hate who has had similar success as us over the past decade who sadly has blown past us this year, UGA. They pay their ten on field assistants $6.125M while we paid ours $6.045M. Seems like it's a comparable to me. Where it's not comparable is the $$$$ spent on other support staff which is a more difficult calculus as we can't make the apples to apples comparison. I'm sure we have been on the cheap there whereas we seem to pay regulated on-field staff the market rate.

Breakdown, salaries for Georgia's on-field coaching staff

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
They had a set up like that at “Swine Time” in Climax Ga one year. It was right next to the chitterlings and the funnel cakes.
Funnel cakes! That's what I was trying to think of, to use in a post recently. It didn't come to me so I ended up going with elephant ears.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Or a booster puts out a bounty that every turnover gets a check.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I’m all in on the pimp cane!

Another thing that stood out to me was they threw more passes downfield and into the end zone in that 5 minute clip than we have all year long.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Were those ceiling tiles I saw in the locker room? I didn’t think he tolerated that sort of mediocrity.
Ceiling tiles? You're concerned about the ceiling tiles? What about the water stains and mold. MOLD!!! :eek:
upload_2021-12-3_12-10-16.png

Who tolerates such decrepitude?? If the institution's "Top Priority is the health and safety of our Student-Athletes, blah-blah-yadda" they should be wearing hazmat suits.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Continuing right along with my hugely tremendous ideas, I've also thought about how concussions might be minimized if they went back to softer helmets instead of harder ones, so players intuitively stop leading with their heads.

1a1ac4bd5896cb135c80256c3632e92e.jpg

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Watch ALL of this, and I dare you to still be on the fence about Billy Napier.

Look how he leads and loves his players, and they follow and and love him. They are so silent and attentive when he speaks, in the locker room. Look what he has built there. Look at the love of each other that he has inspired in them. If he didn't, who did? That's what a great coach does.

I was wrong to even question if he and his very Southern ways will be relatable to "urban" players in South Florida and elsewhere. He will do just fine with them. I said that before I had watched all the videos I've watched and read all the articles I've read. My only complaint is that the food in the re-education camp was NOT good. :thumbdown:

Seriously I take back anything I said making fun of Sling Blade mhm hmmm. I reckon I want me some of them french fried potaters, and six or eight cans of that potted meat if you got any extra. I am all in. This is the just kind of coach we've been needing IMO.

Signed,
New Napier NutswinGGGer #1

There is a lot of evidence that this is exactly the hire we need to make at this time. It's clear he will bring accountability to the program and will demand accountability for everyone who dons the O&B. It's been too long, time to get behind Napier, Go Gator.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Or a booster puts out a bounty that every turnover gets a check.
NIL has likely made such incentives not quite as prevalent as they might have once been. Some years back, there was a HS team that had some kinda bounty like that based on how many opponents’ players they could put out of the game. It got out of hand when the players started sharpening their chin strap buckles and slicing up the opposing players. High hookup buckles were especially dangerous. I think the team forfeited some games and coaches lost jobs.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I’m with ya, I prefer the “act like you been there before.” But we’re dinosaurs and I recognize we might need to adapt in certain ways. But I agree team discipline and focus are important.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I only just now noticed that video says "Episode 8" at the beginning of it.

Well see y'all later I got at least seven more episodes to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb