Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Gotta say it’s concerning that he would even let Nuss follow him

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I'm kinda on your side (I think) but what your saying makes zero sense. Of course you've gotta compare him to his current peers. If he's dominating any area in his current conference you gotta think he'd do really well in that same area in another conference when he's on the same level as his peers again.
I see your point.

Let me ask you this.

If your peers are coaches in the Sunbelt, and all of a sudden your peers are coaches in the SEC, would you think your competition for 4 and 5 star recruits would increase to levels un imagined in the sunbelt?

At this point though, I’m not sure how I got sidetracked with recruiting.
That’s not my biggest concern with Napier.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I’m sceptical, very much so.

Im very skeptical as well. I hated the idea 24 or so hours ago. But I started researching him and what I found is he is a program builder. Im also very skeptical about all the other candidates for other reasons. I just want a CEO and not a flashy play caller. I want the CEO to go get the flashy play caller as the coordinator. To me, Napier checks a lot of the boxes. Yesterday I hated the idea but today I am open to it. Im open to Fickell as well and all the others being mentioned but I also recognize that even though those others check a lot of boxes they don't check all of them.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Ftr, according to the 247 site, and someone posted the rumor from another as well, the reason Napier was fired at Clemson was because he punched Dabo in the face. Supposedly, DS kept changing calls on the field and got in his face in the locker room about it afterward. Napier then dropped him. No idea if it's true or not, just passing along, and doesn't change everything, but kind of funny and at least shows passion.
The story actually makes sense considering his obvious 2 digit IQ. They needed him to have the body to run the offense in practice while Dabo was overseeing all 3 phases, but come game time they placated him but letting him "call the plays", almost always another off tackle run regardless of down and distance. Then Dabo would call in the real play. Big words make his head hurt so he decided the only way he could express his displeasure over the situation was with his fists.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
The story actually makes sense considering his obvious 2 digit IQ. They needed him to have the body to run the offense in practice while Dabo was overseeing all 3 phases, but come game time they placated him but letting him "call the plays", almost always another off tackle run regardless of down and distance. Then Dabo would call in the real play. Big words make his head hurt so he decided the only way he could express his displeasure over the situation was with his fists.
6F8B47B8-9E93-44C7-AA75-9B2A1A192CBA.jpeg

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
You forgot to mention at the end there that he should be assassinated in front of his family.

I get a lot of you guys don't like the hire, but the over-the-top hatred has surprised even me.
Oh no, that’s a little too far.
I do not hate the guy.
I just don’t think he’s our guy.
But hell, no matter who we hire, there are going to be people like me that hate THE HIRE.
Not the person.

Also
No matter who we hire, I’ll support 100% for at least two years.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do you honestly think Billy can compete for 4 and 5 star talent against Bama, Ga, Clemson and other power 5 schools?

Even if we just narrowed it down to Florida.

Do you honestly equate his “Number 1” recruiting classes in the Sunbelt to what he “could” do here?

Perhaps a better question is how does he stack up with his competition?

He is in the Sunbelt. He's not getting 4 and 5-star players to come play in the friggin Sunbelt conference. BUT if he is consistently recruiting better than his peers for the same talent pool... it is safe to assume he might very well be able to recruit at a very high level in the SEC too. Why you aren't able to see how that correlates is befuddling.?. YES, it's the Sunbelt and he's getting 2 star and low 3 star players BECAUSE it's the Sunbelt. The thing that stands out is he is consistently bringing in top classes and outperforming his peers.

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
Do you also think he should be killed?

Let the hate flow through you.
I'll support him as our coach if it happens, and won't spend years bitching about it.

But until it does, yeah, I've got some concerns with calling up the kid to the majors straight from A-ball. Urban didn't come to Florida from Bowling Green... he went to Utah.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

He is in the Sunbelt. He's not getting 4 and 5-star players to come play in the friggin Sunbelt conference. BUT if he is consistently recruiting better than his peers for the same talent pool... it is safe to assume he might very well be able to recruit at a very high level in the SEC too. Why you aren't able to see how that correlates is befuddling.?. YES, it's the Sunbelt and he's getting 2 star and low 3 star players BECAUSE it's the Sunbelt. The thing that stands out is he is consistently bringing in top classes and outperforming his peers.
But his peers aren't in competitve, big time conferences. Why not? Because his peers aren't good enough.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Keep back tracking.
Don’t be a pussy, own it.

You threw out the “average star rating” for Fickell without even recognizing the irony of your post.

If anything, Fickell has accomplished more with less than Billy.
Yes, with an obviously easier schedule than the power five schools but , on par with Billy’s schedule.

Not to mention Cincy took Georgia down to the last play of the game last year and beat Notre Dame at home.

What is Billy’s signature win?
Has he competed with Power 5 schools with his 3 star roster and Sun Belt staff?

Get real

Fickell may not be our guy, so what?
Napier isn’t either.

There are tiers in the G5, UCF & Cincy are considered by most as the best G5 jobs. The Sun Belt is a bottom level G5. They aren't expected to compete for a NY6 bowl game like the AAC schools. He's competing against his peers, not Fickell/Cincinnati and he's at the top of the conference (after taking over a 5-7 program who fired it's coach). What Fickell has done is very impressive.....and so is what Napier has done. AAC vs. Sun Belt is apples & oranges comparison.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

Yes, recruiting against Sunbelt coaches and programs.
Yes outperforming Sunbelt coaches.

Im sorry, but it’s not safe to assume he will do the same here.
It’s hopeful he will do the same here.

Just like he’s never had that signature win over a traditional Power 5 opponent.

It’s a stretch.

Is that enough for Florida?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
So... you guys need to hurry up and settle on the GC recommendation.

The AD will be calling for advice any minute now.

:)

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I assume all the Sunbelt digs are because he hasn't taken a more mid job in between a flagship like Florida? If not what else is he supposed to do different?

Side note if all these big name teams want him there must be something there. It's not like UF is trying to pull a Mcelwain and go after someone no one else is trying to get.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
right on. it's imperative that we find a recruiter for crying out loud. Napier made a huge improvement in recruiting for his program.
Or you can look at it that he was only able to land 3 stars, just more of them than his competition. Kind of a shltters half full/half empty scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb