Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
There are tiers in the G5, UCF & Cincy are considered by most as the best G5 jobs. The Sun Belt is a bottom level G5. They aren't expected to compete for a NY6 bowl game like the AAC schools. He's competing against his peers, not Fickell/Cincinnati and he's at the top of the conference (after taking over a 5-7 program who fired it's coach). What Fickell has done is very impressive.....and so is what Napier has done. AAC vs. Sun Belt is apples & oranges comparison.
Just looking for that signature win.
Regular season win against a Power 5 program.
An upset, a sports center type win, ya know?

They’re ranked, that’s an accomplishment.
If he stays there 2 more years, would they be undefeated and ranked in the top 15 ?

I agree on your tiers comment.
Perhaps Billy would be better off at one of the upper tier group of 5 programs instead of an SEC blue blood.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Interesting call but they ended up winning the game. Lucky? maybe. Ballsy call either way though.
Ballsy? I don't see that at all. Ballsy is to play to win. 3rd and 2 and you already decided you aren't going to punt? Then run clock and try to get a FD. Use 2 downs to run it down their throats, play to win. Or throw an incompletion taking no time off the clock then take a safety that means your opponent just went from needing a TD to only needing a FG. That's Grasseater coaching. Another low IQ guy who relied on run run run and a shltload of luck. Relying on luck (see Napier's W/L record in close games) always catches up with you because stats invariably revert back to the mean.

I'm not as negative as I sound on this hire, if like everyone else has said, he realizes this isn't the Sunbelt and he's going to have to delegate OC duties and basically scrap his sh;tfest offense if he wants to compete for championships at UF. But expecting an alpha who's hardheadedness is a lot of what got him to this point in the first place to recreate himself is probably wishful thinking.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
everybody wants the next Urban and I get that, but how many top 10./20/30 classes did Urban have at Utah or Bowling Green.

This Napier guy could be the next big thing or he could bust, but if he is at least as good as the last guy, he will be a lot more tolerable than that arrogant prick.
I concur.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Exactly right. Our only chance of success is if he decides to be a different coach than he has been up to this point in his career. It's possible but extremely unlikely.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This Napier guy could be the next big thing or he could bust, but if he is at least as good as the last guy, he will be a lot more tolerable than that arrogant prick.

This is the problem, if we are comparing this guy to the last three hires we have accept mediocrity. I got blasted when I said the same thing about Mullen, but it's true. When we are using the last three hires as the bar at UF, then we have truly fallen off.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
Here is one thing I heard on a podcast with Noah Brindise and Doug Johnson - they want whoever is next to have some x-Gators on the staff and there seemed to be a lack of that in the last 3 coaches. At least there'd be some accountability to what the Gator Standard really is. Put the Pouncey brothers in there to kick some azz.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Here is one thing I heard on a podcast with Noah Brindise and Doug Johnson - they want whoever is next to have some x-Gators on the staff and there seemed to be a lack of that in the last 3 coaches. At least there'd be some accountability to what the Gator Standard really is. Put the Pouncey brothers in there to kick some azz.
Brandon Spikes and Tebow

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
There are tiers in the G5, UCF & Cincy are considered by most as the best G5 jobs. The Sun Belt is a bottom level G5. They aren't expected to compete for a NY6 bowl game like the AAC schools. He's competing against his peers, not Fickell/Cincinnati and he's at the top of the conference (after taking over a 5-7 program who fired it's coach). What Fickell has done is very impressive.....and so is what Napier has done. AAC vs. Sun Belt is apples & oranges comparison.
Thanks for the context.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Allan Taylor, Gator sports writer was on Finebaum...it looks like Napier is their choice.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I like apples and Oranges...

We don't seem to be swinging for the fences on Gator Chatter...

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
He does not recruit well? He's had 4 classes in 4 years, 3 were ranked #1 in his conference....and the current class, which would be his 5th class, is also ranked #1. smh Stop talking out of your ass and learn how to use google. smh
Tallest midget is your proof that he's a recruiting guru? From appearances, he's a white redneck doofus that none of the elite kids in Florida have ever heard of. Will he be a better recruiter than dooshbag? It would be impossible not to be. But can he keep pace with Saban and Shart? No idea but he better have one helluva NIL plan in place because he has zero rep to draw them in and Numbnuts has made us an afterthought.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here we go aspiring to be Bama again. Pass.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
The name Billy for a coach brings back good memories............
Ahh that's right Corch, I forgot you rode with The Regulators.

be9f4d046a0b4c133f308f61acee48c3.jpg

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tallest midget is your proof that he's a recruiting guru? From appearances, he's a white redneck doofus that none of the elite kids in Florida have ever heard of. Will he be a better recruiter than dooshbag? It would be impossible not to be. But can he keep pace with Saban and Shart? No idea but he better have one helluva NIL plan in place because he has zero rep to draw them in and Numbnuts has made us an afterthought.

Speaking of white redneck dufus... but unfortunately that sumb!tch can recruit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator