Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I agree with that Ox has said. But the safety video has got me puzzled. I hope this is not his typical game management?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
after stoops this is as good a choice as any. the hell with splash hires. was riley a splash? day? we don’t need entertaining pressers we need recruits and wins.

Those candidates were hired and groomed by their head coach, which you have a real leader at Head Coach, they groom their assistants to become greater. They are prepared for the next step. I know we haven't seen that in our organization since 2009.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
For a multitude of reasons, I feel confident Billy Napier will be named the next coach within the next 72 hours. There has already been much hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth over this hire, so I figured we could start a new thread about it. That way we can revisit it in a few years and see who was right and who was wrong.

This thread is only about Billy Napier, not any other coach. I would highly suggest you do what I did and start reading about Napier like I did - you might find out it's a better choice than you first thought. Everyone wants a "splash" hire, but what I personally wanted was someone who could tear down and build the program back up from the bottom, and someone who would work relentlessly to get it done.

By all accounts, Napier is a football lunatic in all facets, including recruiting. He's obsessed with football. You aren't going to hear about him going on any vacations. He may have also pulled UF into the 21st century by expanding the staff by leaps and bounds, something I'm sure he's insisted on.

What the results on the field are remain to be seen, but I think we found a guy that's going to do something we've been insisting on: raze it and build it up the right way.

So, we've already got upset people making fun of his dialect, his looks, his wife and kids, whatever. Go for it - do what you do. I'm going to give him a chance.

Discuss.
I just want someone who sleeps four hours fast.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We aren't winning any titles any time soon, not with Kiffin or anyone else. After 3 straight bombs, the program is in ruins. If you look at what has to be done to get back on top, hiring someone like Napier makes by far the most sense.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Scratched head over this decision

This is Sunbelt Conference amateur hour bs. This is what we will be getting. Nothing creative but pedestrian offenses that other progressive SEC teams will eat up. This is a catastrophic hire. Were doomed for another half a decade.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is Sunbelt Conference amateur hour bs. This is what we will be getting. Nothing creative but pedestrian offenses that other progressive SEC teams will eat up. This is a catastrophic hire. Were doomed for another half a decade.
Good God. :facepalm:

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
Well he doesn’t have Dan’s awkwardness. Has a commanding presence here. I like what Ox said about fumigating the building and being a tireless program builder. So far I’m sold. Now watch it not happen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna give him a shot. I survived maclewain once, I can do it again.
it's really weird.

he is Jim McElwain's protege but he is truly Will Mushdump's dream coordinator.

run run run run run.

I really expect us to lock up last in the SEC in offense.

you have to wonder if they're going to make another run at Chimp as defensive coordinator.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Re-posted from now irrelevant coaching search thread.

So to recap our hires since Urbs..

Grabbed Muschamp because Texas wanted him to be their next head coach

Grabbed Mac because everybody wanted a Coach from the Saban tree

Grabbed Mullen because we got stiff armed by Kelly and we thought UT wanted him

Now grabbing Napier because we think other SEC teams, including LSU, want(ed) him.

I’m sure this time it will all work out though..

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Extremely underwhelming hire. What we needed was someone who is an elite recruiter and brings a high octane passing offense. There’s no evidence that Napier can recruit at the level required to get us where we need to be, and there’s extensive evidence that his offense is the exact opposite of what we were looking for. How anyone could be excited about this hire is beyond me.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Well he doesn’t have Dan’s awkwardness. Has a commanding presence here. I like what Ox said about fumigating the building and being a tireless program builder. So far I’m sold. Now watch it not happen.

He sounds Zookish.

Aight den [sounds of a tumbling keg]

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Those candidates were hired and groomed by their head coach, which you have a real leader at Head Coach, they groom their assistants to become greater. They are prepared for the next step. I know we haven't seen that in our organization since 2009.
they were both at their schools 2 seasons before getting the gig. Day was basically an nfl guy for the most part. Look, you all want great offense, an entertaining leader, but it’s just not there outside of stealing dabo or a few other with top jobs. I want a guy that can recruit and win. he’s done that. if he can do it in the sec we will find out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We aren't winning any titles any time soon
will this is absolutely true.

I'm going to say 2030 at best.

I expect Tennessee to beat us next year 52-10 or so. but we may go back to getting time with possession handily.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
they were both at their schools 2 seasons before getting the gig. Day was basically an nfl guy for the most part. Look, you all want great offense, an entertaining leader, but it’s just not there outside of stealing dabo or a few other with top jobs. I want a guy that can recruit and win. he’s done that. if he can do it in the sec we will find out.

Offensive guys fit our culture... that is the thing. In any organization culture is important. If you get a guy that is not going to fit the culture, just because he can recruit and win but it's a bunch of 14-3 games. He will get burned out of here so fast. Because the margin for error is nil.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t know who we’re going to hire but I can sure as hell tell you it hasn’t been decided in a matter of two flipping days. Anticipate anyone associated with the decision to be drawn and quartered if it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator