Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistaJ

Nov 23, 2021
That’s kinda where I’m at. Without a home run hire, we need a builder.

Some of these coaches don't even have the chance to be a homerun. Napier has a chance to be one, it's not likely because it's hard to find that guy but it's possible.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
There are no home runs out there for us , we need to temper expectations and just hope we get a good one

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
And that's the point.

What's that get you?

I just went to a convention a few months ago. And a women who now lives in Naples...very educated...said the kids she knows say..."Why even apply to UF? You'll NEVER get in"
Maybe she should spend more time parenting than conventioning. All 3 of mine got in. Next you'll go all lib on us and say "that's not fair! Only 1 kid per family!"

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That’s gonna leave a mark! :lol:
I pray for him... Somebiblebookname 4:20

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I agree with that guy’s take completely. Napier should be our fallback’s fallback.

These guys completely miss the list of mullets failures including loyalty to failed coaches, loyalty to player seniority rather than talent, inability to recognize and utilize talent, lack of recruiting effort and prowess.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It ain't facilities as much as paying for the proper staff. The staff budget should be tripled, if not quadrupled.

:exactly:

I cannot understand WTH we pay the $$$ for Phatham and these clowns do not seriously look at opening up the checkbook to get a decent HC the staff he needs. Perhaps if UF would invest the $$$ in the salaries and recruiting instead of buyouts might solve a problem. Strick better get his shyt together. He has to know that he gets this right or he'll be moving in next door to Mullet wherever he winds up.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
So Kiffin, in his second year with one of the least talented rosters in the SEC, is doing better on offense in the toughest division in the toughest conference than Napier, with 4 seasons to build his team, is doing in the Sun Belt. How does that make Kiffin look bad?

If you want to talk losses, his Auburn loss is much more embarrassing than his Alabama loss.

I don't really follow Ole Miss recruiting, but it looks like he's focused on a handful of elite uncommitted prospects and plans to hit the transfer portal to rebuild depth. We'll see how that strategy pans out for him.
So Kiffin, in his second year with one of the least talented rosters in the SEC, is doing better on offense in the toughest division in the toughest conference than Napier, with 4 seasons to build his team, is doing in the Sun Belt. How does that make Kiffin look bad?

If you want to talk losses, his Auburn loss is much more embarrassing than his Alabama loss.

I don't really follow Ole Miss recruiting, but it looks like he's focused on a handful of elite uncommitted prospects and plans to hit the transfer portal to rebuild depth. We'll see how that strategy pans out for him.
Funny point about recruiting: the 5A (higheztdivision) Player of the Year resides right there in Oxford. Son of an outstanding NFL player. He is committed to USM.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
There are no home runs out there for us , we need to temper expectations and just hope we get a good one

That’s impossible to tell. I’m sure Clemson didn’t think they were getting a “home run” with Dabo. Nobody knows how coaching hires will work out in large part.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That’s impossible to tell. I’m sure Clemson didn’t think they were getting a “home run” with Dabo. Nobody knows how coaching hires will work out in large part.
Muschump Ball without the defense isnt a homerun, period.

Ball control just keeps your wins and losses close. Helps you claim more victories. you can almost beat Coastal Carolina and almost win the Sun belt.

Plus Dabo was not a gomerun hire until they dumped 300 mil or so. Before that he was Spurrier's bitch.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Muschump Ball without the defense isnt a homerun, period.

Ball control just keeps your wins and losses close. Helps you claim more victories. you can almost beat Coastal Carolina and almost win the Sun belt.

Plus Dabo was not a gomerun hire until they dumped 300 mil or so. Before that he was Spurrier's *****.

I’m not sold on his offense. More-so hoping he can hire somebody to run his offense and he can be a CEO type. I don’t want him calling plays

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
What, exactly, is the present state of our Football Facility? What is a realistic completion date?
I reroute and jog past it every month or so to check on progress. A couple of weeks ago, the exterior looked like it was 80-90% done. No clue how long it will take to finish the whole thing.

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
This is where we need a cold dose of reality.

To coaches in demand, UF is no longer considered a premier job. It is a second-choice job because of their lack of commitment to football. The LSU job is far, far more attractive to a coach. The dedication to lowering seating capacity at the Swamp has also been a turn-off.

At this point, all UF has going for it over the other schools is its physical location. Coaches know they aren't going to get the staff and other resources to win and win big. Even losing schools like Texas and Nebraska have a far bigger commitment to the football program. Hell, even Tennessee.

It appears we're at the point where Napier is trying to negotiate the resources he wants to run the program. None of us would be shocked if he's getting rebuffed on those requests. He's obviously not unhappy at ULL. He's turned down Auburn and Mississippi State already and he seems like the kind of guy that will just keep doing what he's doing until the right opportunity for him comes along. In the meantime, he's going to completely dominate the Sun Belt.

That will make some of you happy, because you prefer a flashy pass-happy dork who is going to flame out quickly.

If Napier tells SS to bugger off, the list of the idiots we are looking at is possibly WORSE than Tennessee-esque. All we can do is pray Stricklin sees the light, because this is the final tipping point. If the admin won't agree to commit to football starting NOW, we are looking at becoming the Nebraska of the south PERMANENTLY. You can forget being in the hunt for titles for the rest of our lives.

Jeremy Foley and his "arms race" attitude is what torpedoed this one-great program.

Agree with you 100% on this.

I actually think Napier would be a good fit for UF as a project manager/CEO type. It's mind-numbingly apparent that the last two idiots that resided in the football office had little organizational skills and no use for recruiting. Mac wanted to peddle his shatty BBQ sauce, and frankly, this season I had no idea what Mullen was doing. Someone with the skill set that apparently BN has is what Florida needs, and has needed for years- a methodical process both on and off the field which leads to championships.

What we don't need happening (and none of us can know this behind the scenes) is to have Napier be working us for the eventuality that he wanted the LSU job all along. Stricklin's presser on Sunday all but screamed "WE ARE HIRING BILLY NAPIER TO COME COACH FLORIDA". It would be completely defeating to get worked yet again in our coaching search.

Hell, if BN doesn't sign on the dotted line, I'd half expect SS to rehire Mullen.

When are you un-banning Gator Runner? His posts were epic.

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Lets enjoy the fact the Mullen and Todd are gone, and we haven’t had this weeks excitement since 2008. Once the hire is made, back in the hole everyone goes, except for us baseball fans.

Enjoy the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.