Bits and Pieces: Florida vs. Florida State

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks, c2!

There were many issues with this game, but aren't there always? I think a consistent game manager QB wins this game. MJ and ETN can handle the running game if a QB is a threat to move the chains when needed.

Even more frustrating, we had the ability to win despite a LOT of holding, PI and extended jawing that should've resulted in flags on the classless criminoles. If Billy finds the answer at QB and holds recruiting together, I believe we will see better days.

Defense also was jeckle and hyde as well. Not impressed with the DC.

Too early to give up, but the honeymoon will be over soon.

Edit: I know there are several who believe the honeymoon is long over, but not too many coaching changes are made within the first year. Im hoping Billy is constantly evaluating and will make the appropriate staff changes within a reasonable time.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
One basic reason is to help identify the coverage (whether the defense is playing man or zone). Helps the pre-snap read. Could tell the QB whether the play call is optimal or the need to audible out of a bad call.
This is a pet peeve of mine. But hopefully we do it so often because Napier doesn't trust AR to read coverages very quick , post snap. I pray that it changes next year .

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One basic reason is to help identify the coverage (whether the defense is playing man or zone). Helps the pre-snap read. Could tell the QB whether the play call is optimal or the need to audible out of a bad call.
This right here.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Awesome again Cover2.

AR is like a drug. The high is intoxicating but the come down is brutal.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
As usual Cover very informative summary . Like you I thought we had good momentum starting Q3 . Not clear why we did not stay with the run game, and whether or not AR was checking out to pass plays. But after the 3 and outs in consecutive series I retreated to the back yard fire pit for cigars and adult beverages. I did listen to the radio boys for the rest of the second half. Matthews pointed out that the FSU secondary was predominately playing man coverage in the second half, and that there were opportunities for AR to take off and get sizable gains. However after he took the hit early in the game he seemed hesitant to run. My personal opinion is that he is leaving . If so he may not play in the bowl game. In any case, I would like to see Kitna or even Miller get a shot.
As said here on our site AR seems like a good young man who wants to be a leader. However he doesn't appear to have the "it" factor to get to the next level as an elite SEC QB. Napier can look transfer portal or try to develop someone on the roster. It took me a while but I agree that he needs an OC/QB coach. I understand that Jeff Scott and Napier have some connection, and maybe he can come on board to take the OC or QB position. I also understand he is a pretty solid recruiter. The 6-6 is close to my expectations after we lost to UK and LSU. We had a couple of surprises with AM and even the Cocks. But hit rock bottom at Vandy. Bowl game next and maybe we can end the roller coaster ride with a big finish.
Let's see who shows up to play.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is always the temptation to find simple answers to complex problems. No matter how much we want to attribute our problems to one thing we can fix, the fact is that we have problems all over the field. QB play, offensive and defensive schemes and playcalling, player ability, special teams, clock management, tackling fundamentals, assignments and discipline.....everything. You name it.

I find myself saying damn if our defense just didn't suck so bad we'd likely be at least 8-4 or 9-3. Then a second later I find myself saying damn if AR just threw more accurately or took off running when the opportunity presented itself, we'd be 8-4 or 9-3. Then I find myself thinking damn, if the playcalling were better or if we could just set the edge or whatever.....and down the rabbit hole we go.

On the bright side, I suppose that also means that if we can fix a few of these things then we'll be on our way to better days.

Last edited:

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
There is always the temptation to find simple answers to complex problems. No matter how much we want to attribute our problems to one thing we can fix, the fact is that we have problems all over the field. QB play, offensive and defensive schemes and playcalling, player ability, special teams, clock management, tackling fundamentals, assignments and discipline.....everything. You name it.

I find myself saying damn if our defense just didn't suck so bad we'd likely be at least 8-4 or 9-3. Then a second later I find myself saying damn if AR just threw more accurately or took off running when the opportunity presented itself, we'd be 8-4 or 9-3. Then I find myself thinking damn, if the playcalling were better or if we could just set the edge or whatever.....and down the rabbit hole we go.

On the bright side, I suppose that also means that if we can fix a few of these things then we'll be on our way to better days.

Only thing I would disagree with is if even if 2 of those things were consistently better this year we would be at least 10-2. The thing is they all play off each other. When the D sucks, the O must come out of their game plan to make up for it. When the QB won’t take the opportunities given to him and we go three and out, the D gets tired and unmotivated, and then they suck. When the coaches aren’t making the right play calls the whole team is out of sync. Getting all those things fixed are why we pay coaches millions of dollars. Time for Billy to earn his this off season and next year. I have faith he will, but I also once believed that Muschamp with Charlie Weiss as his OC would bring us multiple natty’s. Those dreams were crushed quicker than the sideline Ice Chests Cheeseburger Charlie sat on in The Swamp.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Only thing I would disagree with is if even if 2 of those things were consistently better this year we would be at least 10-2. The thing is they all play off each other. When the D sucks, the O must come out of their game plan to make up for it. When the QB won’t take the opportunities given to him and we go three and out, the D gets tired and unmotivated, and then they suck. When the coaches aren’t making the right play calls the whole team is out of sync. Getting all those things fixed are why we pay coaches millions of dollars. Time for Billy to earn his this off season and next year. I have faith he will, but I also once believed that Muschamp with Charlie Weiss as his OC would bring us multiple natty’s. Those dreams were crushed quicker than the sideline Ice Chests Cheeseburger Charlie sat on in The Swamp.
Correct, which I why I have hope that even at 6-6 we aren't as far off as some seem to think. A rising tide lifts all boats. Get some pressure up front on defense, it takes pressure off the secondary. We get the ball back more often. Takes pressure off the offense, which can stick to the gameplan and our strength of running the ball. Which puts the other team behind and forces them to be one dimensional, and the cycle repeats.

Of course all of that sounds great but actually making the improvement happen is, as you said, why the coaches make the big bucks. Lets see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.