Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Auburn

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only way to begin is with "What a game!" And if there's not a compelling reason for one of our oldest and strongest rivals to be returned to the schedule on a yearly basis, then I don't know anything. We were treated to a couple of heavy weights (and it's been a while since I could classify us as such) going at it toe-to-toe until the final bell. It's beginning to feel that we are returning to the conference A-list once more. And it feels good.

A lot of the questions leading up to the game were answered. Yes, their DL was superior to our OL and we struggled to block them. With one notable 88 yard exception, they stuffed the run (but what an exception!). No, Bo Nix would not repeat his dad's success at BHG. Our DL, which played the second fiddle in the lead up kept the pressure on all afternoon. The legacy would have to wait for another Saturday for his notoriety to grow. Yes, our skill speed on both sides of the ball were difference makers. We all know how good the receivers are, but we were wondering just how the secondary would fare. They showed up...in a big way. No, Malzahn wasn't better than his counterpart on this Saturday, despite the feelings of some that he might be the best offensive strategist in college football. Yes, Dan Mullen can coach.

upload_2019-10-6_7-47-20.jpeg

I made mention last week that we weren't interested in just giving the Tigers a good game and that winning was what would validate the stage of our program under Dan Mullen. I'm satisfied that we accomplished what we needed to do...for this week! Make no mistake, there's still a lot more that needs to unfold before a final verdict is in, but what a huge step we took. Mullen encapsulated the feeling when he said in his post game conference that "winning a big game would make us want to come back and prepare even harder for a bigger one next week!" This is where we need to be. This is what has been lacking for a decade.

*One other question was answered: Is Trask ready for a really big time game! I think it's safe to say that the answer, emphatically, is yes! 19-31 for 234 yards and 2 TD's was big time against a good defense. Though he wasn't perfect, fumbles and staying in the pocket too long sometimes, he was certainly solid and very courageous as well. Coming back from the knee injury made me hear whispers of another Gator great. Not exactly the same scenario, but I couldn't help but be reminded of Kerwin against these same Auburn Tigers in '86. Even though Trask didn't have to come from behind, he showed the same kind of grit and determination. He's still got a ways to go before we anoint him, but he's growing on us. He throws the ball where it needs to be and by all accounts is a good leader.

*My hat's off to Perine. I've been critical of him trying to be too much of a speed back and not enough behind the pads, but boy he showed us some speed on one critical play! Even though I still don't think we can make it unscathed without a run game between the tackles, I was glad to have that bounce yesterday. Maybe we're going to be that team that just finds a way? I was looking forward to a good dose of Pierce, but that helmet-to-helmet (or so it appeared) ended that before it began. Hope he's alright. Haven't heard the extent of his injury.

*The receivers, especially Freddie Swain in this game, continue their dominance. Looked like they all got mugged pretty regularly yesterday by the Tigers' secondary, or the score might have been greater. I think Mullen did a pretty good job in the preparations of finding ways to get our speed guys isolated on AU's LBs. Kind of reminiscent of what he did as Meyer's OC.

*The secondary was obviously up to the mark. Three picks and holding Nix to 145 (which would have been significantly less if not for a blown coverage) was a big statement. Many of the national pundits are talking about our speed on defense. I think we can add growth and toughness to the description as well. They have matured since the beginning and even though they still have some room to grow, they're headed in the right direction.

*How about the third and short stops by the D (and one fourth down stop)? We know what we've got on the DL and they were definitely up to the mark, but we got some good play from our LBs. No surprise about Reese, however. Another great game from a defensive leader. He's not afraid to stick his hat on the ball. The lead up might have been Auburn's front, but the real story turned out to be ours (we actually out-rushed the Tigers 132 to 124 even if there's an asterisk by Perine's name!). The D led the way.

*Townsend had a great day punting the ball and kept the Tigers pinned. If there is a critique, it's that a couple of punts slipped in the end zone, but he still did a great job and even adjusted on a punt when there was no rush, hesitating before he kicked to give the gunners time to get down to cover. I think the fake punt, however, is not a secret anymore.

*I have to admit to getting nervous when Corso picked us. He's usually dead wrong it seems, but he was spot on yesterday along with Herbstreit of all people. Good to see Emmitt and I guess he's still a Gator ;). Desmond Howard continues to be, well, Desmond Howard.

*Got to give Grantham and the D staff a shout for a good game plan. We held the Tigers' rush in tact and didn't give Nix an opportunity to have a second straight game where he was effective through the air. Though we still have some mistakes in assignments (e.g. the blown coverage completion and the ends losing contain), we have shown significant improvement from a consistency standpoint.

*The crowd looked electric! I'm certain that it being homecoming (how do you do, Auburn?!) and having the Game Day bunch on campus ramped things up, but from what was seen and a couple of friends that I talked to, the Swamp was like the Swamp of old! Hope it continues!

I'm getting a good feeling that we are becoming relevant again and I'm also getting a feeling of consistency in that regard. It's hard to argue the merits of Mullen's coaching abilities today (we can save the recruiting argument for later). His next step will be to find a way to contain LSU's high powered O, in Baton Rouge no less. Next Saturday should make for some good theater. Here's looking at you, Coach O...

upload_2019-10-6_8-51-16.jpeg

And Joe Alleva, even though you're gone, I say...

upload_2019-10-6_8-53-47.jpeg

Bite me!

Until then, a day or so to savor this one (us fans, not the team!) is in order and finding a replay will be a pleasant Sunday chore!

Geaux Gators!
:chomp:

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I hope your (and our) boy is fine after that nasty helmet to helmet meeting. Mullen had a real funny comment about it. When asked about Pierce he said "we'll see. He is always a little off or goofy so its hard to tell." I was paraphrasing but that was his message. Every time Fla stopped them third and short you could just see the Def and the team gain more confidence. I was also worried the wild card was Nix taking off. But we never let him get too much. Our team speed and tackling were obvious. These guys now BELIEVE and have bought in to the coaching Mullen and crew have delivered. I think it is VERY telling about Savage and his methods with our domination of the fourth Qtr this year. Many new fans got a taste of the Swamp magic and what it was like when SoS was roaming the sidelines..............

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Spot on.

I felt like our line didn't really start to gel last year until LSU. Let's hope we see that this Saturday as well.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Spot on.

I felt like our line didn't really start to gel last year until LSU. Let's hope we see that this Saturday as well.

Based on what I have seen this year, this OL will not gel. My seats are up high so I see all of the missed assignments and the OL picking themselves up after every play with the defensive lineman around our RB's or QB. I see very little in-game coaching by Hevesey on the sideline while the D is on the field.

4-Star and 5-Star OL should be knocking down the door to come here and play early...but they're not. Currently we have 3 3-Star and 1 4-Star OL committed...

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Based on what I have seen this year, this OL will not gel. My seats are up high so I see all of the missed assignments and the OL picking themselves up after every play with the defensive lineman around our RB's or QB. I see very little in-game coaching by Hevesey on the sideline while the D is on the field.

4-Star and 5-Star OL should be knocking down the door to come here and play early...but they're not. Currently we have 3 3-Star and 1 4-Star OL committed...

You may be correct, but dang, buzz kill. Enjoy the big win for a day.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
Thanks for jumping out of bed to write this one up. Your write ups are part of my Sunday mornings.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
My thoughts from the game:

1. I'm hard on Moon because I think he's just an athlete. Well, dude stepped up yesterday to play some solid run defense against a good, veteran o-line. He deserves some props.

2. Bleich has been getting his azz kicked all year long. It was worse yesterday. They moved Heggie to his spot and played Gouraige at LG. The run game improved a bit and Heggie didn't get manhandled like Bleich did. Is the switch permanent? I hope so.

3. EJ played calm in his time. I was impressed. He needs to work on his accuracy. But, I see real promise.

4. With Kyle Pitts being used the way he was yesterday, I imagine it got Darnell Washington's attention. I'd love to land him. Consider this from a 247 article written on Thursday, "Sources have told 247Sports that it was Washington who reached out to Florida to set up the trip after what he has seen on the field through the first month."

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You may be correct, but dang, buzz kill. Enjoy the big win for a day.
Oh, it is ABSOLUTELY a Huge win and the best ever defensive scheme from Third and Grantham. The SWAMP was rocking yesterday. Definitely great to win a big game at home...but, there are issues...

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Who needs the Sunday sports section when you can read Cover 2's analysis.After listening to the pundits I was worried about Auburn's speed but we were the faster team. No matter the situation the defense answered the bell. While we have some warts we also have some big time weapons on offense. God bless The Swamp, The Gators and Gator Nation! On to bigger and better things!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Currently we have 3 3-Star and 1 4-Star OL committed...
OL still isn't a position where stars matter that much. Having those big eaters in a strength program for four years and playing a group of mostly upper classman is all we need to develop.

Hev is still one of the best in the business. Even at Cowbell, his lines were solid.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Thanks for the writeup. I wasn’t sure Townsend had a good game, based on the touchbacks and the bonehead fake. If that was his call, it wasn’t a good day for Townsend.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I am old. therefore, I have read a lot of morning after sports columns, and I have read a lot of in season analysis columns. I really don't remember any with better content, or better written, or more a pleasure to read than cover 2's.

Grantland Rice look out.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Cover2:
Having been born and bred in central Florida and raised correctly to be a Gator, I grew up reading Tom McEwen. I eagerly read anything he wrote and hung on every word. The world is different now and I no longer get a daily paper. It makes me sad, sometimes, that those days are over. We now have you, cover2, and you are a better writer than any writer I would care to “search” for on the inter webs or newspaper/magazine stands. Today I couldn’t help but think about the “good old days” and Tom McEwen (minus the Breakfast Bonus). Thank you, and Go Gators!!!

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Cover2:
Having been born and bred in central Florida and raised correctly to be a Gator, I grew up reading Tom McEwen. I eagerly read anything he wrote and hung on every word. The world is different now and I no longer get a daily paper. It makes me sad, sometimes, that those days are over. We now have you, cover2, and you are a better writer than any writer I would care to “search” for on the inter webs or newspaper/magazine stands. Today I couldn’t help but think about the “good old days” and Tom McEwen (minus the Breakfast Bonus). Thank you, and Go Gators!!!

I was raised on Tom McEwen also..........great post!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Last year the line seemed to gel roughly halfway through the season and played noticeably better down the stretch. Not sure if yesterday was just more of the same from our line, or if the barn's D front is just that good. Maybe if they go into every game thinking about blocking the dudes they had to block yesterday the light bulb will come on.

I think a couple of Trask's fumbles were because he was hit while throwing. Only one was a cough up while just moving in the pocket. IMO its hard not to fumble when you get hit from behind during your wind up. Maybe Mullen can put one of those shock collars on him during practice like dogs wear. If he's still standing in the pocket with the ball after 3.5 seconds he gets the juice.

Oh, and I thought EJ did a great job at quarterback. With Trask in the locker room, Mullen was hesitant to put him in a dangerous spot running so it was mostly the same dropback plays that Trask runs and he executed at a fairly high level.

One play I'd like to see more of if we are going to run the ball is option sweeps like the one Trask should have pitched to Davis. We ALWAYS seem to get good yardage on those plays. We used it twice to great effect against the corndogs last year.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Great analysis, Cover! Like you, it seemed to me as if we went back in time to the Swamp of old, and it electrified and inspired our guys to leave it all on the field (even left the ball, a few times, unfortunately). The big takeaways for me was the play of our interior D and Trask. Those boys on that interior D really showed me something yesterday. We may not have a lot depth there, but we've got some guys with talent and a lot of heart. They really got after that Auburn O yesterday. Now we need them rinse and repeat for an even greater performance in next week's game against LSU. And Trask's leadership really shines through. You can see it in the demeanor of the guys around him when he's on the field. They seem so much more as a team with him in there, and not just a collection of guys in pads.

I'm really liking Mullen more and more. His playcalling sometimes gives me cancer (the called Trask runs into the line, late in the game with a bum knee, for example) but he is capable, loves his job, loves his players, and loves UF, so I believe he's only gonna get better. Hopefully he will find a way to keep them focused to do it all over again next week. It's been forever since we've seen a high level of consistency out of these guys, so I'm more than a little nervous about next week. I can't wait!

Go Gators!

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the writeup. I wasn’t sure Townsend had a good game, based on the touchbacks and the bonehead fake. If that was his call, it wasn’t a good day for Townsend.

Mullen said post game it was Mullens call.....

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Having been born and bred in central Florida and raised correctly to be a Gator, I grew up reading Tom McEwen. I eagerly read anything he wrote and hung on every word.
well you old fckkkk. He was my hero for many years...........78 can tell you stories about him cause he worked with him........Tom was a great writer and A GATOR...........The Morning After. With my two fresh scrambled eggs,toast with guava jelly and half of grapefruit these thoughts:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.