Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Auburn

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good write up as usual C2 and although it was not a cleanly played game by any means on either side, it was a very hard fought, old school type of game. It was clear we could not block their D-Line a bit yesterday but it got me to thinking during the game. All credit to Perine for shaking that tackle and breaking that long run to put us up 2 scores, but on that play, D. Brown was not on the field on the AU D-line. So before I ask my question I am NOT saying that Perine would not have broken that run had Brown been on the field. He might have. it is why you have to keep plugging away b/c you never know, but on the play without Brown, it at least allowed the RB to get to the LOS before first contact. I personally never saw us purposely attempt to double team Brown the entire game, so C2, do you think the staff pondered it and perhaps said whether we block with 5 or max protect with 8 or 9 and sent out 1 or 2 man routes, we can't block them at all, so lets just see if we can get quick hits with quick throws and perhaps break it?

How do you feel about rotating the safeteys? None of them are great but with all due respect, Stiner and Taylor suck in pass coverage and I am afraid that LSU with a more mature QB and a more advanced passing game, will try and exploit that vs. the glorified high school coach Malzahn simplistic passing game? It is clear that the guy LSU brought in from the Saints has added a few wrinkles to what used to be throw it up down the sidelines and lets hope for the best LSU passing game or yesteryear.

Lastly, no more Trask running QB powers on 3rd down. Just does not work. We did have a TD in the 4th Q. when they ran an option to the left if only Trask had pitched the ball to Davis there was no one on that side that could have tackled hmi, but that was just a poor decision. But is there anything that can be down with what they have to improve the interior run game? B/C with all due respect, that 3rd down reverse pass back to Trask was a horrendous call. I don;t care that it worked but it was a terrible call. But here is the thing. I completely understand the call b/c we could not run for one inch, so Cousin Eddie had to try something that they had not seen. But you can't be successful if you have to to reach into the bag like that for 2 yards to get a 1st down.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Ball security needs to be a big focus. Big.

Nix missed some wide open receivers who could have scored and threw interceptions that we won’t see from Burrow and Fromm. DBs can’t get big headed after this one.

Front seven is balling on D but we’ll need to keep working on OL, avoiding turnovers and getting the DBs ready to roll against better QBs we’ll face vs UGA, LSU and Missouri.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
well you old fckkkk. He was my hero for many years...........78 can tell you stories about him cause he worked with him........Tom was a great writer and A GATOR...........The Morning After. With my two fresh scrambled eggs,toast with guava jelly and half of grapefruit these thoughts:
Where is '78? I'd like to hear some Tom McEwen stories!

GatormanTX

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2015
Great write up. I think you hit every point. We made progress and still have some things to clean up but a great win that hopefully does as Mullen said and pumps the guys to push themselves for why is next.

Oh and I love the guys who just want to bask in the glory of one win and not actually discuss everything about the game. #Sarcasm

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Barn likes a lot of mullenesque side passes which our speed shut down. When greenard goes out, we lose edge containment (slow...) which we will need to watch moving forward. We dodged a lot of bullets because Nix was bad.

I find it odd, that given Mullen’s O is sideways, we seem out of synch when running it? Just not the personnel to have everything timed right? When throwing forward we seem in synch better. Surprised not more WR sweep when imbalanced line. Give it to someone at speed to try and beat the end or at least block the end out (he is going to beat us anyway) and run the crease.

Definitely things to work on, drops, blocking, wrapping up, blocking, cover the defender, blocking....

But one hell of a game and the team really seemed prepped, pumped and ready to go

Go Gators
gatR Done against LSwho

Edit, forgot thank you C2!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks, c2! Love your comments that are positive yet grounded in reality! My own amateur observations...

1. KT has got to develop his internal clock, but he's still inexperienced, so not surprised. His accuracy and timing allows for a more enjoyable passing game.

2. Despite the fumbles, nobody panicked. This team has true grit (see what I did there?).

3. I keep expecting Jefferson, Grimes and Cleveland to be the main targets, but Swain and Hammond continue to make big plays and/or key contributions. Gonzales has clearly developed those two well.

4. OL needs work, but considering the barn's beastly d line, they held up pretty well.

5. Gator D was outstanding! 3rd and Granthem never happened yesterday. Limited the run game, got in nix's head on the first play, made some INTs and provided good damage control after Gator fumbles.

6. If Zuniga is ready to join Greenard in Baton rouge, we should see even more of the same.

7. Surprisingly physical stops on 3rd and short against a reputable run game. Mostly saw good tackling and wrapping up.

8. Having Wilson and CJ on the field at the same time really makes a difference.

9. Glad Davis came back on the field after that vicious collision. We need more Davis and less Stiner.

10. Give Savage a raise!

11. Despite several head-scratching playcalls, credit DM for following GCMB advice () and using the short passing game instead of stubbornly leaning on the run.

Maybe #7 barn with a freshman qb was overrated, but their D is legit. This was a game full of adversity against a quality SEC rival on a big national stage and we WON! No Gator should downplay that fact.

Go Gators!!!

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Last year the line seemed to gel roughly halfway through the season and played noticeably better down the stretch. Not sure if yesterday was just more of the same from our line, or if the barn's D front is just that good. Maybe if they go into every game thinking about blocking the dudes they had to block yesterday the light bulb will come on.

I think a couple of Trask's fumbles were because he was hit while throwing. Only one was a cough up while just moving in the pocket. IMO its hard not to fumble when you get hit from behind during your wind up. Maybe Mullen can put one of those shock collars on him during practice like dogs wear. If he's still standing in the pocket with the ball after 3.5 seconds he gets the juice.

Oh, and I thought EJ did a great job at quarterback. With Trask in the locker room, Mullen was hesitant to put him in a dangerous spot running so it was mostly the same dropback plays that Trask runs and he executed at a fairly high level.

One play I'd like to see more of if we are going to run the ball is option sweeps like the one Trask should have pitched to Davis. We ALWAYS seem to get good yardage on those plays. We used it twice to great effect against the corndogs last year.

That failure to pitch to Davis play brought me out of my seat. If Trask laterals the Gators may have had two long TD runs yesterday.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Watching the game again, I expect LSU and UGA to follow AU’s third quarter offensive adjustment in their upcoming games vs our D.

Auburn went to the ground game and was getting real push just playing straight up. It got us sucked up to defend the run and that’s when they hit us with the long throw over the top that should have scored. The tigers and dawgs have the ability to establish dominance at the los and set up the same long throws with Burrow and Fromm. AU was in position to take control but Nix’s inexperience doomed them. Malzahn called an excellent series. His guy just didn’t execute at the end. UGA and LSU will plan around what they saw AU do when the game hit stalemate in the third.

Anyone who tries to get cute or use pass to set up run is just playing right into the strengths of our guys’ athleticism.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
OL still isn't a position where stars matter that much. Having those big eaters in a strength program for four years and playing a group of mostly upper classman is all we need to develop.

Hev is still one of the best in the business. Even at Cowbell, his lines were solid.
Yeah, Bleich is a big, strong dude. But he's also a RS freshman, who shouldn't be on the field until late in a blowout. I think ideally, if Banks was healthy, Bleich would be on the bench and we'd have upperclassmen across the board. However, Delance and Forsythe are upperclassmen who have also really struggled.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Watching the game again, I expect LSU and UGA to follow AU’s third quarter offensive adjustment in their upcoming games vs our D.

Auburn went to the ground game and was getting real push just playing straight up. It got us sucked up to defend the run and that’s when they hit us with the long throw over the top that should have scored. The tigers and dawgs have the ability to establish dominance at the los and set up the same long throws with Burrow and Fromm. AU was in position to take control but Nix’s inexperience doomed them. Malzahn called an excellent series. His guy just didn’t execute at the end. UGA and LSU will plan around what they saw AU do when the game hit stalemate in the third.

Anyone who tries to get cute or use pass to set up run is just playing right into the strengths of our guys’ athleticism.
Maybe the tigers and dwags do; yesterday's tigers did not.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yeah, Bleich is a big, strong dude. But he's also a RS freshman, who shouldn't be on the field until late in a blowout. I think ideally, if Banks was healthy, Bleich would be on the bench and we'd have upperclassmen across the board. However, Delance and Forsythe are upperclassmen who have also really struggled.
Saw the name "Reese" on a MSU jersey the other day. Sure would have been nice to see that name on a UF offensive jersey.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Saw the name "Reese" on a MSU jersey the other day. Sure would have been nice to see that name on a UF offensive jersey.
I bet he regrets his decision to stay. He would be featured nationally each week and many would see him as savior of sorts - he’d be the most competent OL we had.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Almost want to start a Pitts thread. Its been a while since we have had a great TE and this guy is headed for greatness. He is as sure handed as they come. I think teams going forward will do everything in their power to take him out of the game. Trask loves him.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Didn't hear his presser, but did he say that he made the call, or just that it was his responsibility, which it was in any event?
Pure speculation but:
Probably there are certain formations that Towsend has the green light.
Barn presented a formation that looked like a go and Towsend took it.
Sideline recognized it was different (or maybe not) and didn't think Towsend would try it.
In any case, coaches mistake for not calling it off. Like in flying it's always pilot (coaches) error. Or as SOS liked to say "It was my fault for putting you in there".

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Almost want to start a Pitts thread. Its been a while since we have had a great TE and this guy is headed for greatness. He is as sure handed as they come. I think teams going forward will do everything in their power to take him out of the game. Trask loves him.

Best hands since Kirk Kirkpatrick 1990.

He’s like a human vacuum cleaner.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Auburn started giving defenders help with him in the 2nd half. Teams are recognizing he’s a serious threat and a favorite target for Trask. We starting moving him all over the place to counter that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator