Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Charleston Southern

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cover...you have been telling us about Pierce for 5 yrs it seems, obviously you have an eye for talent. I can’t wait for post game day morning to read your insights! Thanks for all your posts...sure put a stamp on how the team is playing good/or Chimp/ButterTeeth terrible.
Thanks Dark. Pierce was easy to spot. He looked like a D1 player as a 9th grader. He's always been strong and solid and now in a pretty good S&C program he should be a high quality Gator running back pretty quickly. Stay humble and out of trouble, work on your degree, appreciate the people you meet that are connected with the school and program, and the world can be your oyster is my wish for Dee and all our guys.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Thanks Dark. Pierce was easy to spot. He looked like a D1 player as a 9th grader. He's always been strong and solid and now in a pretty good S&C program he should be a high quality Gator running back pretty quickly. Stay humble and out of trouble, work on your degree, appreciate the people you meet that are connected with the school and program, and the world can be your oyster is my wish for Dee and all our guys.

I loved what I saw from him. Gonna be a goodin!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Took minimal sampling to see that Pierce is superb. Looks like he could punish defenses over time, along with yards gained. I really sense that Damien should be our centerpiece RB, M.Davis for quick scoots. Mullen must not have known Cover2 vouched for DP or else he'd got more carries.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Excellent recap by cover 2 and others. On the whole it was a significant improvement form a year ago. I agree the team looked more poised ,faster and more disciplined. I think only 3 penalties and no late hits or the usual drive killing mistakes. Our receiving corps looks very solid and if Franks can get them the ball on time we will do a lot of damage. I agree with the concerns with the OL. I also thought we should have run the ball more in the red zone. That is where you can find out how physical our OL is. I didn't think we used Scarlett enough in the first half red zone trips.

We miss Reece in the middle and we could have trouble handling Snell next week if he is not ready to play. He didn't look good on the sideline. Significant drop off from Franks to Trask and Jones. But in their defense the play calling for them was not very creative.

On the whole we got a much needed win that produced some really nice pitch and catch plays. Defense looked solid against a really offense challenged team. Bring on the Cats and we will get a much better picture of where we stand.

TJGator

Aug 19, 2018
Ten years ago or longer, the title might have read "Gators Easily Dispose of the Bucaneers; Tune Up for SEC Opponent a Success." And maybe it still could, but this one was a little different coming off of a decade of misery. So many unknowns to be found out about (as much as you can in a game against Charleston) and maybe even the specter of Georgia Southern looming for a few! Really, one of the biggest things everyone wanted to see, myself included, was what the QB picture looked like, at least as much as we could in a warm up, and what would we look like with Mullen's offense, termed "middle school" and other such descriptors? I don't know that we have complete answers, but the results were maybe better than many expected, but what was hoped for. The key will be if they carry over against UK and progress each game thereafter (injuries, suspensions, etc. notwithstanding). So, let's talk about last night...

*I'd have to say I was pleased with Mullen's plan and execution for the opener. We threw the ball much more with the ones than I expected, special teams were solid and featured some of the established players (very Meyer-like), and the D, while pretty vanilla with the exception of a couple of blitzes, flew around and made plays and looked to tackle much better than with the previous staff. Mullen clearly wants to be here and be successful and that came through to me in his words, demeanor, and what we saw on the field. A welcome change.

*What has been gained in the S&C program with Savage was very evident to me. We not only looked leaner and more fit as well as stronger in most positions, but I don't recall seeing the multitude of cramping nor injuries that a first game can bring. So we must have shelved the Pilates, PB&J's, and the optional workouts!

*We looked to have some playmakers that want to step forward on D. Polite gave us a glimpse last year and he looks like he's ready to be the next big DE. Great first step on the rush and a motor that doesn't quit. But maybe his most impressive play was the feather technique on the option when he forced the bad pitch and turnover. You don't see that everyday. Secondary was solid in coverage, even if it was against a team not noted for a vaunted passing attack, the LB's had some good plays, and the front was pretty good as well. All in all what you want to see in the warm up.

*McPherson looks like he will be a solid kicker. Maybe not quite as much fanfare as Edie, but we should have him longer and with just as much if not more effectiveness. I looked around, but couldn't find any shots of him and Mullen riding around campus taking selfies in an Escalade. Kinda warmed my old heart!

*OL was good in pass pro, a little less blocking the run IMO. Not ready to run for the hills just yet because we all know just how poorly or erratic this group has been for so long, but we need to see improvement each week and the building of depth. Hevesy should be an upgrade to what we've had, but he's still got his work cut out for him.

*Got to give a shout out to my man from Bainbridge Dee Pierce. Even though his carries were in the second half with the two's against Charleston, he ran like he did in HS. His lower body strength, which has grown even more under Savage, was impressive and even on the shorter runs he can move the pile. The RB position really looks to be as strong and deep as reported. Dee also made the highlight reel on a kick cover. Great way to start for a young guy with a lot of promise.

*Last but not least, it was clear why Frank's was named the starter. I have some crow to eat because I didn't think he would be able to show the development that he displayed. He was very efficient and showed some touch on many of his passes that most expected would be the missiles he would previously have thrown. There were even a few check downs that were here to fore unseen and not the typical forced throws that we had come to expect. In short, it looked as if he'd actually been coached and put more time into his own preparations than was expected. Mick and Lee made a good point post game when they pointed out that of his five TD passes, four were under ten yards and could have been run in for scores, so clearly Mullen was trying to build confidence with his plan for Franks and his continuing development. He also looked very comfortable in the pocket and his decision making was much better than expected, particularly when he ran. Looking for carry over and the next step up from him against UK and something tells me he won't get the uncovered receivers this time around! As for Trask and Jones, they'll remain the back up and work in progress respectively, so we all should root for Felipe's continued development and good health.

A lot to like for the beginning of the Dan Mullen era. Not quite ready to crown him king just yet, but the throne may be out there somewhere, at least comparing him with the last two HC's. I'm excited enough that I'm planning to try and get down for the Colorado State game and the tail gate. Got to cover a cross country event first thing that morning, but hopefully can get there in time to meet you guys in real life. Should be a blast. It's early, but the vibe is that Gator football might just be fun again. Go Gators!

How often did Franks hit his first target? I did not have chance to rewatch and the first watch is typically under the influence. Tebow had a hard time making progressions but was good at hitting his first option. Mullen must be good at helping his QB's see their guy before they snap. Maybe Franks becomes great at making his progressions. Maybe he did a great job Sat. night, but it just appeared to me that Mullen had him dialed in on what was the best option before the ball was snapped. It appeared many times the ball was snapped and he had his guy dialed up, not having to look at other options.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well to me, the TEAM showed up like a family finally instead of that decade long sideline of disgruntled cliques and self absorbed game day selfishness. The receivers might stretch the field this year. The O-line could help us rumble and pummel on the ground if they can nut it up with some plowing mentality instead of this let's be friends demeanor. Was it a hallucinogenic experience or did we actually have gunners attempting to be heat seeking missiles on kicks and we actually used our hands to block kicks instead of whiff air or play bumper cars up front. Geez, I hope this is a sign of more effort to win like a TEAM instead of that quit disease. We looked prepared and showed up with a plan. Go Gators!!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How often did Franks hit his first target? I did not have chance to rewatch and the first watch is typically under the influence. Tebow had a hard time making progressions but was good at hitting his first option. Mullen must be good at helping his QB's see their guy before they snap. Maybe Franks becomes great at making his progressions. Maybe he did a great job Sat. night, but it just appeared to me that Mullen had him dialed in on what was the best option before the ball was snapped. It appeared many times the ball was snapped and he had his guy dialed up, not having to look at other options.
This is a good observation and question. Prescott was worse than Tebow in going through his progressions during college imo, so I agree that Mullen does a good job helping his QB with pre-snap reads. I believe this is a big component of running his offense successfully, if I remember correctly.

PirateGator

Aug 5, 2018
This is a good observation and question. Prescott was worse than Tebow in going through his progressions during college imo, so I agree that Mullen does a good job helping his QB with pre-snap reads. I believe this is a big component of running his offense successfully, if I remember correctly.
I did see Franks go thru his progressions more than last year. On the play to Krull on the side line he had Cleveland running down the middle but the safety was coming to help. That left Krull one on one and Franks made the right call instead of staring down Cleveland the whole play like last year.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Ok maybe it was me and as a pumper this might come as a shock. I don't think Franks was all that great. Taking a look at his completions, you can see where the WR/TE had to stop the route, and the drops early in the game was bc he was late on the throw. Yeah I know I'm nit picking here, yes Frank's improved from last year, but I think he's got a long ways to go.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Ok maybe it was me and as a pumper this might come as a shock. I don't think Franks was all that great. Taking a look at his completions, you can see where the WR/TE had to stop the route, and the drops early in the game was bc he was late on the throw. Yeah I know I'm nit picking here, yes Frank's improved from last year, but I think he's got a long ways to go.

Agreed. I think what everyone is happy about is he has actually shown improvement and many of us didn't think he would.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've yet to see a replay of this snap, but unless the double on Shuler ended with a chip to the LB, he should have been in the vacinity. But it's one snap in a tune up. We all knew our LB's needed some polish. As long as they progress and become better fundamentally this season, it will be a good thing for us. Gonna try and see this play again.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I've yet to see a replay of this snap, but unless the double on Shuler ended with a chip to the LB, he should have been in the vacinity. But it's one snap in a tune up. We all knew our LB's needed some polish. As long as they progress and become better fundamentally this season, it will be a good thing for us. Gonna try and see this play again.
Just watched the play again. Saw the confusion with Moon getting on the field late. Shuler actually got off of his block and was in position to make the tackle, but couldn't hold on to the RB. Kylan Johnson, on the other hand, was where he needed to be, but was too high and on his heels and wound up getting rolled back on the play. As previously noted, Polite couldn't get out of the chicken fight though he was in good position. Thankfully not too much of this with the ones Saturday evening. Hopefully the game starts slowing down for our LB's as we get into the schedule. The team overall looks much better coached than they have been, even at this early juncture and taking the opponent into consideration.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They didn't (see the post #73). Agreed that Johnson may lack the physical part you need from his position. He looked a little too lean for a SEC LB.

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
They didn't (see the post #73). Agreed that Johnson may lack the physical part you need from his position. He looked a little too lean for a SEC LB.

Appears KJ lacks the instincts and quick decision-making ability. Too often caught in the wash instead of scraping and filling. Just stepping in his way takes him out of the play. Don’t know what it could be but, LB doesn’t seem to be the right position for him

Defend the Swamp

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2018
Just watched the play again. Saw the confusion with Moon getting on the field late. Shuler actually got off of his block and was in position to make the tackle, but couldn't hold on to the RB. Kylan Johnson, on the other hand, was where he needed to be, but was too high and on his heels and wound up getting rolled back on the play. As previously noted, Polite couldn't get out of the chicken fight though he was in good position. Thankfully not too much of this with the ones Saturday evening. Hopefully the game starts slowing down for our LB's as we get into the schedule. The team overall looks much better coached than they have been, even at this early juncture and taking the opponent into consideration.

Regardless of the D confusion pre-snap, Shuler still should have made that tackle. More so, if Marco doesn’t assume the play is dead, and fills with a little desire, Marco makes the tackle.
I would guess this is a learning opportunity for Marco and he benefits long term from this film study

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
On CSU's long run the RB was solidly hit by the shoulder-pads yet the tackler left his arms spredeagled = he didn't wrap up = he did not tackle the RB or even slow him. That lousy tackle-sense freed that RB for what 60+ yards.
I hope in film study that non-tackler gets chewed out.

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Thanks Cover. I’ll do the unpopular thing and give Franks a pass since blame can be uniformly assigned. He is much improved over last year, but winning with his arm isn’t going to be an option. He isn’t responsible for blocking, establishing the running game, or tackling. Tackling. The Defense was singularly atrocious. Couldn’t stop a cigar store Indian. That’s on Grantham. So much inexperience that Ce Ce Jefferson is missed? That’s Mac’s chickens coming home to roost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator